What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (9 Viewers)

mirrorman

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Both Combat and Rat Patrol were shown here in Australia , and both are good. Combat had the more adult writting , and because of that I think holds up slightly better than Rat Patrol.

Rat Patrol I had a chance to see more of during the initial TV run here , as it was shown earlier in the day. I recall it being shown on the weekend. ??

Combat was on much later , and on a week night. I was lucky to even glipmse the opening tiles before I was shuffled off to bed.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Both Combat and Rat Patrol were shown here in Australia , and both are good. Combat had the more adult writting , and because of that I think holds up slightly better than Rat Patrol.

Rat Patrol I had a chance to see more of during the initial TV run here , as it was shown earlier in the day. I recall it being shown on the weekend. ??

Combat was on much later , and on a week night. I was lucky to even glipmse the opening tiles before I was shuffled off to bed.
In the US (Central time) Combat! came on Tuesdays at 5:30pm its entire run. In 1966 Rat Patrol came on Mondays at 7:30pm. Neither conflicted with bedtime for me. However, in the 1965 season a new show, Daktari, did. As my sister wanted to see that one, me too, it won out over Combat!. In the 1966 season we'd both gotten tired of Daktari but The Girl from U.N.C.L.E. premiered, running opposite both. I was a huge fan of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. so, of course, watched its sister show instead of Combat!. Both hold up pretty well for me.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
MVD Entertainment Group had a short sale on their website, which I only became aware of little more than an hour before it was about to end (mid-day today), but it allowed me to order Burke's Law: Season 1, Vols. 1 & 2 for just under $12 a volume... which was very cool, as I don't see VCI offering it anymore on their own website, and Amazon asks at least double the price for each volume.

Doesn't look like we'll ever get Season 2 or Amos Burke Secret Agent from anyone, anytime soon, but a good-quality release of Season 1 is still better than nothing.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
MVD Entertainment Group had a short sale on their website, which I only became aware of little more than an hour before it was about to end (mid-day today), but it allowed me to order Burke's Law: Season 1, Vols. 1 & 2 for just under $12 a volume... which was very cool, as I don't see VCI offering it anymore on their own website, and Amazon asks at least double the price for each volume.

Doesn't look like we'll ever get Season 2 or Amos Burke Secret Agent from anyone, anytime soon, but a good-quality release of Season 1 is still better than nothing.

Good snag there, Peter! I think you'll get a kick out of Burke's Law...the transfers look good, and the show is quite enjoyable, with a boatload of guest stars, both on their way up and their way down the Holywood food chain, featured in each episode. It is too bad that the subsequent two seasons never saw a release, but I'm happy to have that first season in my collection.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I purchased The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series on Blu ray back in January. Since COVID-19 started, I have finally had the time to watch it. One of my favorite episodes is "Time enough at last". It is one series that has too many great episodes for me to mention without writing a dissertation.
Then join us in the "What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)?" thread and write away...

Gardyloo

Auditioning
Real Name
B
Just bought the last season of the Big Bang Theory; there was a 50% price drop on Amazon yesterday and I snapped it up.

Speaking of Combat and Rat Patrol above, I watched both those shows, along with McHale's Navy, with my Dad every week when I was growing up. I read an interview with Vic Morrow years ago where he said some of the show was pretty unbelievable, mainly all the explosions and actors playing GI's with the actors in their Hollywood Haircuts. The photo of Morrow above proves the point.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Pre-ordered Gunsmoke: The (Twentieth and) Final Season from Target, since I needed to get the order over $35 to get quick free shipping for something else.
I've spent hours at both Target and WM doing much the same... have something I need in the cart but it's not enough for free shipping. I'm not paying $6 shipping unless I'm absolutely desperate for what I need. So... it's browse my "saved for later" lists on that site and looking things up that are in my Amazon "saved for later" and "wish lists" to see if any are cheap enough at that site (basically no more than a buck over Amazon's price) to include to help hit that minimum.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I've spent hours at both Target and WM doing much the same... have something I need in the cart but it's not enough for free shipping. I'm not paying $6 shipping unless I'm absolutely desperate for what I need. So... it's browse my "saved for later" lists on that site and looking things up that are in my Amazon "saved for later" and "wish lists" to see if any are cheap enough at that site (basically no more than a buck over Amazon's price) to include to help hit that minimum.

I encountered such dilemas offline, whenever I come across bundled stuff like "buy three, get one free" type of deals. I end up spending another hour attempting to find a worthwhile 4th item. :)

(More generally).

For the longest time, I was somewhat "price sensitive" when it came to stuff like vinyl records, cds, etc ... (and later dvds/blurays, etc ....).

For example, if something was only 10 cents cheaper, I would drive to that record store to buy it for 10 cents cheaper. Even if that record store was on the other side of town, and cost more than 10 cents in gasoline round trip. :)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I encountered such dilemas offline, whenever I come across bundled stuff like "buy three, get one free" type of deals. I end up spending another hour attempting to find a worthwhile 4th item. :)

(More generally).

For the longest time, I was somewhat "price sensitive" when it came to stuff like vinyl records, cds, etc ... (and later dvds/blurays, etc ....).

For example, if something was only 10 cents cheaper, I would drive to that record store to buy it for 10 cents cheaper. Even if that record store was on the other side of town, and cost more than 10 cents in gasoline round trip. :)
I never quite went that far - but in my younger years I'd get the grocery ads and drive to 3 or 4 stores to get the "best deals" on items we needed. I finally realized that it often wasn't worth the trip because it cost about as much in gas as I'd save or I'd get there to find they were sold out of one or more of what I wanted. That's when I decided which store I liked best and started doing all my shopping there. I didn't spend that much more on groceries and had more time when I was done.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
As I got older, my purchasing decisions are not just strictly price sensitivity alone.

I take into account others issues which might or might not be quantifiable in price/costs, such as:

- gasoline
- tolls
- exchange/return turnaround times for defective items
- headaches of dealing with the post office (ie. inconvenient hours they are open, etc ...)
- delivery service weirdness (ie. leaving packages at the front door in the rain, etc ...)
- how many copies are in stock
- etc ...

As an example, I frequently will pay another few dollars to buy a dvd (or bluray) set at a nearby WM , than to wait several days for an order from amazon. Even when the price is a few dollar less on amazon with free shipping. (Typically when I'm doing my regular weekly shopping for groceries/supplies, where I come across something interesting in the dvd/bluray section).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I never quite went that far - but in my younger years I'd get the grocery ads and drive to 3 or 4 stores to get the "best deals" on items we needed. I finally realized that it often wasn't worth the trip because it cost about as much in gas as I'd save or I'd get there to find they were sold out of one or more of what I wanted. That's when I decided which store I liked best and started doing all my shopping there. I didn't spend that much more on groceries and had more time when I was done.

This is a very good point.

As I got older, my personal free time was more "valuable" to me than saving a few dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation483
Recent bookmarks