What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought?

The Obsolete Man

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
I'd like to ask you this about all the various DVD sets. Wasn't the industry standard for DVDs per set established this way?

How I look at it, for the sake of preserving picture quality w/o compression:
32 half-hour episodes per single release (8 episodes per disc)
24 one-hour episodes per single release (4 episodes per disc)
12 90-minute episodes per single release (3 episodes per disc)
6 two-hour episodes per single release (2 episodes per disc)

When studying this, this would mean that, in the terms of Gunsmoke's half-hour run from 1955-61 (also known as Marshal Dillon) on DVD, they would be broken up in two as each of the six seasons making up this third of the run all exceeded 32 half-hours:
Volume 1: 19 or 20 episodes on 3 discs
Volume 2: 19 episodes on 3 discs

Starting with the first hour-long season in the fall of '61, at 34 episodes, it necessitated another split set:
Volume 1: 17 episodes on 4 discs
Volume 2: 17 episodes on 4 discs

~Ben
Well, they confused us all, because season 1 of Gunsmoke was a single set. 39 episodes on 6 discs. So starting out like that, everyone automatically figured it would continue on that way. Then with season 2 onward, we got the exact split you mentioned.

Edit... and to drag it back somewhere near the topic, I keep waffling on buying Gunsmoke seasons 13-17. 17 seems to be quite popular, since it's out of stock at the big river.

Last edited:

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Benjamin
Well, they confused us all, because season 1 of Gunsmoke was a single set. 39 episodes on 6 discs. So starting out like that, everyone automatically figured it would continue on that way. Then with season 2 onward, we got the exact split you mentioned.

Edit... and to drag it back somewhere near the topic, I keep waffling on buying Gunsmoke seasons 13-17. 17 seems to be quite popular, since it's out of stock at the big river.
What I forgot to point out was that I think they also split these up if the content exceeds six discs per single release (cf. the recent releases of Gunsmoke's color run: 24 one-hour episodes on six discs).

I know season eight of Gunsmoke, at 38 one-hours, had 19 episodes on five discs per split volume. Season one of Perry Mason had 39 one-hours, hence the same split volume treatment (five discs each).

~Ben

Last edited:

MatthewA

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Matthew
LA Law: Seasons 1-3 (Region 1 DVD)

bmasters9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben Masters
Well, I quit waffling and got those Gunsmoke sets.

And believe it or not, we're less than a month from 18 and 19. The end is in sight! Wouldn't surprise me to hear TSOD announce season 20 for April somewhere just before 18 and 19 are released.
When that final (20th) go is released, will there be just the episodes, or will there be some kind of bonuses, as the last couple of releases have apparently had?

Reactions: Jeff Flugel

The Obsolete Man

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Murder She Wrote 4 movie collection, after realizing it wasn't in the complete series set and I didn't have it

Duel blu-ray, because my recent Gunsmoke watching made me want to see Chester vs. a Tractor Trailer.

And yes, Duel counts as TV, since it began life as a TV movie!

JohnHopper

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
John Hopper
Murder She Wrote 4 movie collection, after realizing it wasn't in the complete series set and I didn't have it

Duel blu-ray, because my recent Gunsmoke watching made me want to see Chester vs. a Tractor Trailer.

And yes, Duel counts as TV, since it began life as a TV movie!

The Obsolete Man

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
I hadn't cracked open my Gunsmoke sets yet, which is a good thing. Because they're going back to Amazon! Why? Target's buy 2 get 1 free sale. After the shuffle, it will net me the upcoming Gunsmoke seasons 18 and 19 for free, which is a much better price for them than I expected to pay.

So, for those of you wanting S18 and 19, if you have another comparably priced set or movie you want, Target has a sale going on and overall, you'll get your sets for a decent price.

And yes, shockingly, pre-orders are included. Thanks, big red circle.

Jeff Flugel

Screenwriter
Premium
Reaction score
Website
thestalkingmoon.weebly.com
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I hadn't cracked open my Gunsmoke sets yet, which is a good thing. Because they're going back to Amazon! Why? Target's buy 2 get 1 free sale. After the shuffle, it will net me the upcoming Gunsmoke seasons 18 and 19 for free, which is a much better price for them than I expected to pay.

So, for those of you wanting S18 and 19, if you have another comparably priced set or movie you want, Target has a sale going on and overall, you'll get your sets for a decent price.

And yes, shockingly, pre-orders are included. Thanks, big red circle.
Hey, thanks a lot for the heads-up re: that Target "Buy 2 get 1 Free" sale, Robert! I just ordered The Defenders S1 and Dragnet 1968 and got Gunsmoke S16 for free using that deal. Target's prices for both The Defenders and Dragnet were the same as Amazon's. I wasn't planning on any disc purchases this month, but that's too good of a deal to pass up.

LeoA

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Leo
Just bought The Twilight Zone complete series on Blu-Ray for $60 after tax at Deep Discount. Price is tough to beat and with the recent CBS news, I decided it's best to finally grab it after wanting it ever since the original Image Entertainment release first appeared.

I also got a lot of tv sets for Christmas last month as well. The complete series sets for A-Team, Hogan's Heroes, and The Rockford Files (Blu-Ray). Also got season 4 of Dennis the Menace (My last season I needed), season 1 of the Patty Duke Show, the Shout Factory Ozzie & Harriet set, and the single sided rereleases of season 1 of Adam-12 and Emergency!.

Since they're tv content, I also got two Bob Hope sets for Christmas. 'Bob Hope: Hope for the Holidays' and the compilation of his Christmas specials from the Vietnam years.

Jeff Flugel

Screenwriter
Premium
Reaction score
Website
thestalkingmoon.weebly.com
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Just bought The Twilight Zone complete series on Blu-Ray for $60 after tax at Deep Discount. Price is tough to beat and with the recent CBS news, I decided it's best to finally grab it after wanting it ever since the original Image Entertainment release first appeared.

I also got a lot of tv sets for Christmas last month as well. The complete series sets for A-Team, Hogan's Heroes, and The Rockford Files (Blu-Ray). Also got season 4 of Dennis the Menace (My last season I needed), season 1 of the Patty Duke Show, the Shout Factory Ozzie & Harriet set, and the single sided rereleases of season 1 of Adam-12 and Emergency!.

Since they're tv content, I also got two Bob Hope sets for Christmas. 'Bob Hope: Hope for the Holidays' and the compilation of his Christmas specials from the Vietnam years.
That's an excellent haul of classic TV content, Leo - enjoy!

Reactions: Flashgear

Radioman970

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
James Perry
UltraQ
Ultraman
UltraSeven
(Return of Ultraman when it drops to about $18)
UItra Geed
Ultra (whatever the other one is...will edit later lol)

Just got Fraggle Rock complete Blu ray since a season 3 dvd 1 episode 1 just froze. Oh well, good excuse as any!!

MatthewA

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Matthew
LA Law: Seasons 1-8 (Region 2 DVD sets)

The Addams Family: The Complete Series (1964-1966)

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Howie
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, S1, Volumes 1 & 2
Route 66, Season 4
Tombstone Territory (Complete Series)

And on Blu-Ray:
Star Trek: The Next Generation, S2 (which was heavily discounted)
FWIW - Amazon US has S3 pretty cheap right now - $14.07 new or as low as $8 used (but w/$4 shipping really isn't that much better than new).

Even though you have S1 and S2 (I'm guessing you have S1) you might want to consider the UK Complete Series release. It's region free and usually less expensive than its US counterpart (and less than completing the series with the individual releases). Right now it's in the $75 range shipped to the US from Amazon UK. Both the US and UK use the Megapak things that some hate (but I happen to like). The outer boxes are also different. I purchased the UK one some time back and am quite pleased with it.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otter