What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
If you're not overly familiar with the series, or haven't watched it in a long time, then it sounds like it's quite possible that you won't notice the edits, or at least not to an extent that will ruin your enjoyment. I hope that's the case.

Which is why, like I've said before, I enjoyed that abortive first-season (1981-82) Fall Guy release, despite the edits that were unmentioned on the packaging-- because I had not seen that much of that ABC crime/action series before.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Speed Racer blu ray to upgrade old dvds and I hope they added some punctuation in because my 50+ year old self can't keep up like my 5+/- year old self could
Mister Rogers Would you be Mine collection, went to the zoo with Mr R last weekend from the other DVD set and agree sleeping lions are worth watching all day long... I need Mr. R 1968- soooOOoo bad. please next please
Avengers Season 5 blu ray to upgrade some of the dvds, Emma cures my blus

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Hell, I think shipping from the UK was almost as much as the set.

That is often the case with some of the deeply discounted prices from Amazon UK, etc., in my experience. That's why I try to order more than one title at a time, because often the shipping doesn't change much, if at all, for two DVD sets over one.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Just ordered Network's out-of-print R2 DVD set of The Sentimental Agent, new, from a 3rd-party seller here in the U.S.

It wasn't cheap (a hair under $60), but also wasn't as nearly as steep as the asking price from 3rd-party sellers on Amazon.uk. Also, no one is currently offering it on eBay. I don't see this getting any cheaper if I were to wait. The fact that there isn't all that much released TV-on-DVD & Blu of interest left that I don't already have, and that there's little chance of this series getting a domestic release (or a re-issue in the U.K.), pretty much sealed the deal.

Having said that, now watch it somehow get a Blu-ray announcement within the next few months. That's how this usually works. :laugh:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
speed racer showed with 2 disc loose. some of these have those smudges on em that look like oil from the case kind of smudgers. Nothing severe though.

I also got Oh Brother where are thou and remembered that George Clooney is Speed all grown up. it's true!!!

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Just ordered Network's out-of-print R2 DVD set of The Sentimental Agent, new, from a 3rd-party seller here in the U.S.

It wasn't cheap (a hair under $60), but also wasn't as nearly as steep as the asking price from 3rd-party sellers on Amazon.uk. Also, no one is currently offering it on eBay. I don't see this getting any cheaper if I were to wait. The fact that there isn't all that much released TV-on-DVD & Blu of interest left that I don't already have, and that there's little chance of this series getting a domestic release (or a re-issue in the U.K.), pretty much sealed the deal.

Having said that, now watch it somehow get a Blu-ray announcement within the next few months. That's how this usually works. :laugh:

Glad to hear that you found a mint copy of The Sentimental Agent, Peter. Haven't received mine yet; hopefully, it'll show up in a few days. I think we can both rest pretty well assured that the DVD set is the best we can expect...I'd wager that there's not much chance of a Blu-Ray for this series...especially as Network has let it go out of print.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
speed racer showed with 2 disc loose. some of these have those smudges on em that look like oil from the case kind of smudgers. Nothing severe though.
during episode 2 on blu ray 1, 3:28 and 3:30 there's a small popping sound and the sound drops for a micr second then it plays normally. does anybody know if that is normal? prob will have to return. will trying whipping the disc...

Never the mind. I tried to find my old dvd but failed. I found the episode on youtube and there is no skipping. so back it goes for replacement. also saw that Mister Rogers disc 2 is scratch even though not loose. bad luck

Last edited:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Petticoat Junction 1-3 on 15 dvds. $17.49 including shipping with nothing else to guy with it on amazon right now!

I thought I had more seasons than 1 but I couldn't find any other after a tremendous search for them (and Benny Hill The Lost Years which I did find after days of looking).

Been watching S1 and I didn't even know there were beautiful B&W episodes. I don't remember even seeing those at all! Funny I always thought Mission Impossible was in B&W.

Note, there's a guy reviewing on amazon talking about how much better Bonanza was since it was always in color unlike the colorless episodes of Gunsmoke.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Note, there's a guy reviewing on amazon talking about how much better Bonanza was since it was always in color unlike the colorless episodes of Gunsmoke.
Clueless dolt... Even my grandkids know color doesn't "make it better." It's either good or not whether it's in color or BW.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Clueless dolt... Even my grandkids know color doesn't "make it better." It's either good or not whether it's in color or BW.
I know they had some black and white appreciation guidance in your family. When my nephew was growing up he loved I Love Lucy. Makes you proud. :D

I started watching Hogan's Heroes last year and it starts with the B&w and I was so happy thinking that whole season would be that way but nope. lol looks great in color but a full season in B&w would have been neat.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I started watching Hogan's Heroes last year and it starts with the B&w and I was so happy thinking that whole season would be that way but nope. lol looks great in color but a full season in B&w would have been neat.
IIRC, the only episode of Hogan's Heroes in BW is the pilot with the rest of it being color. Didn't matter at my house. We didn't get a color TV until Christmas 1968. And I got the old BW for my room (I think it was close to 19" - a tall console type. I remember having to adjust the horizontal hold with a knob on the back of the set - vertical hold was on front - and my arms almost weren't long enough to see what I was doing when it needed adjusting).

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
IIRC, the only episode of Hogan's Heroes in BW is the pilot with the rest of it being color. Didn't matter at my house. We didn't get a color TV until Christmas 1968.

I never had a color tv at home until sometime in the mid-1970s. We just got "hand me down" b&w tvs from various relatives/friends for a long time.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I never had a color tv at home until sometime in the mid-1970s. We just got "hand me down" b&w tvs from various relatives/friends for a long time.
My dad is a licensed "FCC 1st Class" radio engineer and had a 2-way radio installation/repair business on the side (he worked on those and radio station transmitters). Ours was a Heathkit 19" that he and I put together in his shop. We also put together a Heathkit microwave for mom that same Christmas. It was lots of fun building those kits.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
My dad is a licensed "FCC 1st Class" radio engineer and had a 2-way radio installation/repair business on the side (he worked on those and radio station transmitters). Ours was a Heathkit 19" that he and I put together in his shop. We also put together a Heathkit microwave for mom that same Christmas. It was lots of fun building those kits.

(At this risk of going offtopic).

Did you ever put together one of those old computer kits, such as Altair?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
(At this risk of going offtopic).

Did you ever put together one of those old computer kits, such as Altair?
No. When I graduated college I never did anything like that again. My wife always wondered why I didn't "take over" the business (I made great money in HS/college working for him - $7.50-$10/hr in an age when minimum wage was $1.30-$2.30 [1969-1977]) but I'd seen farmers call at all hours (and expect him to drop what he was doing to fix their problem) or come by at lunch on Sunday (he did not work on Sunday - ever) and wanted no part of it. All I've done with computers is "assemble" boards/cases (plug stuff in, configure it, and install the OS).

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
we had a 19" black and white for a while. Me and sis had tiny tvs in our rooms that were hand me downs from relatives I think. our first big color console was a Sylvania console with a big screen , maybe 26? 1979 or 1980. thank you mom for that (NOT dad, just making that clear lol)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks