1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Dillon*G, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Actually, now that I research it a little bit, I'll definitely need to pick up S2 of Simon & Simon at some point, as it has the second half of the two-part Magnum P.I. crossover, "Emeralds Are Not a Girl's Best Friend." (I'm pretty sure my Magnum S3 set doesn't have the second part).

Flashgear likes this.
  2. Mysto

Mysto Screenwriter

marv long
    I'm one of those weird people that actually watched Simon & Simon on purpose (although I will admit they don't hold up to me as well now). But then I also watched Matt Houston too.:P
    Neither series get a lotta luv now.

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  3. Message #8783 of 8877 Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    I LOVED Matt Houston! The Complete Series set from VEI is high on my wishlist. Whether it (or Simon & Simon) still hold up for me now remains to be seen...But other '80s nostalgia picks like Riptide, The Equalizer, The A-Team and (especially) Magnum P.I. still do, so I'm hopeful.

The vast majority of my TV on DVD collecting spans from the '50s to the '70s, but I'm happy to snag a few favorites from the '80s and '90s as well. Don't think I have anything post-2000 on disc, though, other than Firefly.

Mysto and Flashgear like this.
  4. Message #8784 of 8877 Jun 28, 2019
    jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    Part2 of "Emeralds Are Not a Girl's Best Friend" crossover is actually on disk4 of the original season 1 set of Magnum PI with double-sided flipper discs.

The re-released single-sided discs version of Magnum PI season 1, dropped the old disk4 entirely.

5. Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    Simon & Simon is one of my favorite '80s TV series. Loved it then and still love it now. I'm glad that Shout re-released the latter seasons (5 to 8) in the recent past at much more affordable price points, where I scooped them up to complete the series in my collection. I agree that the series really picked up steam in season two, being mostly very entertaining for the rest of the run. Season one is good, but has a different feel to it. I liked the witty writing and often comedic scenarios and characters that were featured in various episodes. No where near as good as the immortal Rockford Files in that respect, however.

Mysto, jcroy and Jeff Flugel like this.
  6. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Yeah, I thought it was something like that...thanks for clarifying it for me! I have the single-sided version of Magnum S1.

7. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    I too also found Simon & Simon didn't hold up at all for me, after I watched the season 1 dvd set.

I vaguely remembered seasons 2+ being somewhat better. Though at the time, I didn't think it was worthwhile buying the ShoutFactory releases of season 2+ at $30 or $40 a pop.

Though with that being said, I did come across the MillCreek "sampler" releases of Simon & Simon of the later seasons and picked those two sampler sets up at $5 a pop. I watched through these two sampler sets, just to find out they didn't hold up either. So this pretty much ended for me any further interest in Simon & Simon.

Jeff Flugel and bmasters9 like this.
  8. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    Nevertheless if ShoutFactory ever releases a Simon & Simon complete series dvd set, I might be tempted to pick it up.

Maybe also a NYPD Blue complete series set, if ShoutFactory ever releases one.

Flashgear likes this.
  9. Message #8789 of 8877 Jun 28, 2019
    jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    The primary reason I never bothered picking up the individual NYPD Blue season sets (released by Fox and ShoutFactory), was that seasons 3 and 4 were never re-released (yet) as single-sided discs. Fox originally released seasons 3 and 4 as sets of 4-disc double-sided dvd14 flipper discs.

When I first heard that ShoutFactory would continue the NYPD Blue season sets (after season 4), I didn't want to waste any further effort on cantankerous double-sided flipper discs. Around that time, I heard the Hill Street Blues complete series dvd set might be released as all single-sided discs. (The original Fox releases of Hill Street Blues seasons 1 and 2 were also double-sided dvd14 flipper discs).

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  10. Jasper70

Jasper70 Stunt Coordinator

Harold
    I enjoy Simon & Simon a lot. The storyline is secondary to my enjoyment as I like the way they interact as brothers. Probably because my relationship with my brother is similar. I only have seasons 1-4 because Shout did not include CC with 5-8, I’d buy them if they did. My hope is one day it comes streaming to Netflix, Prime or iTunes. Then I’ll be able to see the rest.

Jeff Flugel and bmasters9 like this.
  11. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Perhaps I should look at it more in that fashion (I have the first half of the series myself); seeing it from that perspective might make it a shade more enjoyable.

Flashgear, Jeff Flugel and Jasper70 like this.
  12. Jasper70

Jasper70 Stunt Coordinator

Harold
    I just watched three episodes from season three tonight. Some of the scripts aren’t great but I don’t let that stop my enjoyment. William Smith was a bad guy in one. I have always liked him whether he plays the good guy or the bad guy.
    I really enjoy Gerald McRaney as an actor, probably the biggest reason I like the show. He’s just good in everything I have seen him in. Jericho. Deadwood. Longmire. He just excels in tv shows.

Jeff Flugel, Flashgear and bmasters9 like this.
  13. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor
    Supporter

Doug
    The Time Tunnel - Complete Series Blu-ray

Finally broke down and ordered this. Viewing Lost In Space brought back the Irwin Allen desire. The Time Tunnel is my favorite Irwin Allen series, even the goofy futuristic ones.

Jeff Flugel, JohnHopper and Flashgear like this.
  14. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper
    I share your enthusiasm for The Time Tunnel. I always liked the characters: Tony, Doug, Ann, Ray, (General) Woody, (Sgt.) Jiggs.
    I always associated actress Lee Meriwether with Ann and Whit Bissell with Woody (General).
    The cliffhangers/next week teasers were just great.

My favorite episode was "Chase Through Time", guest starring actor Robert Duvall.

15. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Cagney & Lacey complete collection, keepcase 20-disc version (at least that's what I believe this is); just earlier from Amazon

16. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper

I even own the soundtrack CD released through GNP Crescendo Records and John Williams' score for the pilot is great.

17. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    This sounds like the disc-reduced version, with 4-discs per full season (with 22 or 24 episodes).

bmasters9 likes this.
  18. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Surprising news: Amazon just told me that my purchase is getting here tomorrow!

Jeff Flugel and Jasper70 like this.
  19. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor
    Supporter

Doug
    HBO mini-series, From The Earth to the Moon - Bluray. Ordered form BB and used $15 in rewards certificates, so the price was more than right. Can't wait til I can view this again.

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  20. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Cinematographer

Robert
    South Park seasons 1-21 and Bigger, Longer, and Uncut on Blu-ray.

Finally took advantage of those new, cheap, and really hard to find 5 season collections.

Also, I Love Lucy S2 on Blu, since I plan to watch that soon and figure I might as well get S2 in the best format possible for the rewatch.

...plus, I found it for $24 bucks, which is much better than CBS's "you'll pay us a hundred bucks per season and like it!" pricing that kept everyone from buying the series on Blu when it came out (me included).