What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I also ordered season 1 of Barnaby Jones, CBS DVD release. This one is new and sealed. Season 1 is the only season I plan to buy because it's the only season with uncut episodes. The complete series DVD has edited episodes for seasons 2 thru 8, and I don't want edited episodes. MeTV is currently running Barnaby Jones during the overnight so occasionally I DVR an episode and watch it the next day.

Yeah, same here. I really like Barnaby Jones and would love to get further seasons on DVD, but after seeing the beautifully-restored image and unedited eps on that S1 set, I've just not been able to pull the trigger on the lesser-quality, edited seasons. I may get S2 at some point, as I hear that perhaps half of the eps are unedited, but that number may be way off.

Anyway, enjoy that set, and the complete Mannix, another gorgeous looking release from CBS/Paramount.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Doc Martin - S5. That makes the movies and up through S6 so far. I'll hold off on the rest while watching what I have and to wait on better pricing (after all, I purchased the first 7 sets for about $30).

How far along are you in watching the series, Howie? Did you check out those early two telefilms yet? Curious to see what you think of those...

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Yeah, same here. I really like Barnaby Jones and would love to get further seasons on DVD, but after seeing the beautifully-restored image and unedited eps on that S1 set, I've just not been able to pull the trigger on the lesser-quality, edited seasons. I may get S2 at some point, as I hear that perhaps half of the eps are unedited, but that number may be way off.

Anyway, enjoy that set, and the complete Mannix, another gorgeous looking release from CBS/Paramount.

Thanks Jeff, I like detective shows from the 1970's and have collected several of them recently. The complete Mannix that I just ordered, I think it was sent Media Mail which can be slow sometimes but I'll try to be patient until it arrives. :laugh:

Steve_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Smith
I just bought "The Odd Couple" complete series for $21.00 and "Taxi" complete series for $23.00 (both new), I bring this up because I would love to get "Lou Grant" and or "Quincy M.E." but even now those series are still going for $30.00 per season. I noticed when It comes to Shout! factory titles they like to go the Criterion price route but without the 50% off sales.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I have two things ordered recently, first is the complete series DVD of Mannix, not the all in one release, I ordered the 8 individual seasons that were released separately. The sets are used but said to be in very good condition, package should arrive in the mail in a few days.

I also ordered season 1 of Barnaby Jones, CBS DVD release. This one is new and sealed. Season 1 is the only season I plan to buy because it's the only season with uncut episodes. The complete series DVD has edited episodes for seasons 2 thru 8, and I don't want edited episodes. MeTV is currently running Barnaby Jones during the overnight so occasionally I DVR an episode and watch it the next day.
After watching S1 of Mannix and deciding I'd enjoy seeing it all again I opted for the all-in-one release for its shelf saving aspects (also got it for a very good price). I just don't care about episode guides as I normally watch first-last on a season and don't seek out individual ones. I also like most of those Megapak boxes (the ones without stacking hub pages) and opt for them whenever possible.

I don't think I knew that about Barnaby Jones. That somewhat changes my plans for that one to just getting S1. I've been on the fence with the complete series as it's from VEI in two different configurations - a larger box with each season in its own case and more discs (45) or a smaller all-ion-one box with fewer discs (30). Sometimes there are issues with VEI releases when they cram too many episodes on a disc but they've also had issues with many of those larger sets having bad discs. Then there's the bit where they take whatever transfers they're given and go with them. I normally don't pay much attention to Amazon "reviews" of media products but the ones for those sets are uniform in complaints about print quality being sub-standard.
How far along are you in watching the series, Howie? Did you check out those early two telefilms yet? Curious to see what you think of those...
Just S1 so far. The telefilms are next - but it's October and Halloween Movie Challenge (on another forum) with a goal of watching 100 horror movies during the month (I think there's also one here but the time restrictions on editing posts make it difficult to keep up with a list so I stopped). I found out a couple of days ago that my son is bringing his kids (3 - ages 3, 5, 7) to me and grandma earlier than I thought (this Saturday instead of a week from tomorrow). That means I'll lose most of the weekend and significant horror movie time when they arrive (and there's a choir concert with the oldest granddaughter tonight). I hit 76 last night so "need" to get in 24 more movies in the next 4 days (right... that's gonna happen...). I think I can hit 100 but it'll be tight. As soon as October's over I plan to watch those telefilms.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I don't think I knew that about Barnaby Jones. That somewhat changes my plans for that one to just getting S1. I've been on the fence with the complete series as it's from VEI in two different configurations - a larger box with each season in its own case and more discs (45) or a smaller all-ion-one box with fewer discs (30). Sometimes there are issues with VEI releases when they cram too many episodes on a disc but they've also had issues with many of those larger sets having bad discs. Then there's the bit where they take whatever transfers they're given and go with them. I normally don't pay much attention to Amazon "reviews" of media products but the ones for those sets are uniform in complaints about print quality being sub-standard.

VEI did the same thing with Cannon, first issuing a 31 disc set of the complete series, then later issuing another complete set with only 20 discs. I have the 31 disc set and am happy with it, the episodes are complete and uncut. There was a problem with an episode on disc 3 of season 4, but VEI corrected the error and sent me a replacement disc, so all is good.

It's a shame about the edited episodes with Barnaby Jones seasons 2 thru 8. I ordered the 1st season and that's all I plan to buy. If CBS DVD had continued with Barnaby Jones and released all the seasons like they did with Mannix, Barnaby Jones might have turned out as good as Mannix did. The Barnaby Jones DVD's from VEI are crap with all the edited episodes.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
VEI did the same thing with Cannon, first issuing a 31 disc set of the complete series, then later issuing another complete set with only 20 discs. I have the 31 disc set and am happy with it, the episodes are complete and uncut. There was a problem with an episode on disc 3 of season 4, but VEI corrected the error and sent me a replacement disc, so all is good.

It's a shame about the edited episodes with Barnaby Jones seasons 2 thru 8. I ordered the 1st season and that's all I plan to buy. If CBS DVD had continued with Barnaby Jones and released all the seasons like they did with Mannix, Barnaby Jones might have turned out as good as Mannix did. The Barnaby Jones DVD's from VEI are crap with all the edited episodes.
There are quite a few VEI did that re-release with lower disc counts: Diagnosis Murder, Cagney & Lacey, In Search Of..., Grace Under Fire, McMillan & Wife, and likely a few others. I got the early versions of In Search Of..., Grace Under Fire, and McMillan & Wife (which came with the bonus series Snoop Sisters). I've been wanting to pick up Diagnosis Murder but keep waffling about which release to get. I have S1 of that one that's not yet been watched so really should get that done to see if I really "need" it or if one season is enough. My wife's the Cagney & Lacey fan... Me... not so much and she couldn't care less about having a physical copy so that one's safe from me.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I received the Mannix DVD sets today, sets are used but are in almost new condition so whoever had these before me took very good care of them. I paid $80 for the 8 seasons which is $10 per season so I think it was a good deal. I'm glad I opted for the individual season releases, these are so much better than the all in one release.

Still waiting for season 1 of Barnaby Jones but I think it will arrive in the mail tomorrow.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
There are quite a few VEI did that re-release with lower disc counts: Diagnosis Murder, Cagney & Lacey, In Search Of..., Grace Under Fire, McMillan & Wife, and likely a few others. I got the early versions of In Search Of..., Grace Under Fire, and McMillan & Wife (which came with the bonus series Snoop Sisters). I've been wanting to pick up Diagnosis Murder but keep waffling about which release to get. I have S1 of that one that's not yet been watched so really should get that done to see if I really "need" it or if one season is enough. My wife's the Cagney & Lacey fan... Me... not so much and she couldn't care less about having a physical copy so that one's safe from me.

I have two DVD releases from VEI, I have the complete series of Cannon and Petrocelli. That's a good idea about Diagnosis Murder, watch the 1st season and see how you like it before deciding if you want the rest of the series or not.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I have two DVD releases from VEI, I have the complete series of Cannon and Petrocelli. That's a good idea about Diagnosis Murder, watch the 1st season and see how you like it before deciding if you want the rest of the series or not.
I watched Diagnosis Murder during the original airings and liked it. I do remember some seasons being better than others but don't recall if it was earlier ones or later ones. But it's also one of those series, like Murder She Wrote (another I like but own the entire series - that I've not yet started watching on disc), where episodes can easily start to run together after a while.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I just bought "The Odd Couple" complete series for $21.00 and "Taxi" complete series for $23.00 (both new), I bring this up because I would love to get "Lou Grant" and or "Quincy M.E." but even now those series are still going for $30.00 per season. I noticed when It comes to Shout! factory titles they like to go the Criterion price route but without the 50% off sales.

Earlier this year, I bought Lou Grant DVD's seasons 1-4, new and sealed for $48, $12 per season. It sounded like a good deal so I took it. I don't think I want season 5 because there are too many problems with edited/compromised episodes so I haven't ordered it.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Barnaby Jones season 1 arrived today as expected, 4 disc release from CBS DVD, I plan to watch the 1st episode later this evening.

I've watched a few Mannix episodes, great series, I'm not watching episodes in order right now, just choosing titles at random. One of the episodes I watched, "A Way To Dusty Death" from season 7, has a slightly shorter than normal run time of about 48:50 which makes me wonder if maybe there's a small edit in the episode but I don't know for sure.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Barnaby Jones season 1 arrived today as expected, 4 disc release from CBS DVD, I plan to watch the 1st episode later this evening.

I've watched a few Mannix episodes, great series, I'm not watching episodes in order right now, just choosing titles at random. One of the episodes I watched, "A Way To Dusty Death" from season 7, has a slightly shorter than normal run time of about 48:50 which makes me wonder if maybe there's a small edit in the episode but I don't know for sure.
I’ve started watching S2, I have the larger complete series box. It may not be remastered or uncut but I’m glad I have them. I’m a child of syndication so I can tolerate it

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I’ve started watching S2, I have the larger complete series box. It may not be remastered or uncut but I’m glad I have them. I’m a child of syndication so I can tolerate it

I assume you're referring to Barnaby Jones. It's too bad that season 1 is the only season on DVD that has uncut episodes. For seasons 2 thru 8, MeTV is currently running the episodes although they are edited, but I figure I might as well just watch those and not spend money on the DVD's because those have edited episodes too. I don't like DVD's that have a lot of edited episodes.

I wonder what went wrong with Barnaby Jones. Starting with the 2nd season when VEI entered the picture, the DVD's have edited episodes. Such a shame.

Last edited:

Steve_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Smith
Earlier this year, I bought Lou Grant DVD's seasons 1-4, new and sealed for $48, $12 per season. It sounded like a good deal so I took it. I don't think I want season 5 because there are too many problems with edited/compromised episodes so I haven't ordered it.

That is a great price - was that a Shout! Sale by any chance?

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel

Dave, if you get the time, once you finish going through the set, can you please let us know approximately how many of the Barnaby Jones S2 episodes are uncut? I'm contemplating getting this season, and would probably buy it if roughly half or more of the episodes are uncut. Thanks in advance!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Dave, if you get the time, once you finish going through the set, can you please let us know approximately how many of the Barnaby Jones S2 episodes are uncut? I'm contemplating getting this season, and would probably buy it if roughly half or more of the episodes are uncut. Thanks in advance!

Not sure I would know for sure i can tell you this, most of the episodes are missing the beginning act bumpers that all Quinn Martin shows have

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks