1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Dillon*G, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Jasper70

Jasper70 Stunt Coordinator

Harold
    Worried the sale wouldn’t be on tomorrow I bought it on the website and will pickup locally tomorrow. Thanks for letting us know about the great deal!

Jeff Flugel and bmasters9 like this.
  2. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Not a problem!

3. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    D'oh! Bummer, just caught up with the thread and see that I missed the sale for The Streets of San Francisco complete series set. It's back up to $45 now. Still a good price, but jeez, $20?!?!

Congrats to those of you who snagged it for that bargain basement price!

Jasper70 likes this.
  4. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor

Doug
    Pre-ordered What We Left Behind: Looking Back At Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (Special Edition) (BluRay) from Shout!Factory's website. Does this count as TV? ;)

('Cause it's my favorite Trek)

5. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Just ordered:

[​IMG]

Flashgear likes this.
  6. Jasper70

Jasper70 Stunt Coordinator

Harold
    Heckuva deal. I’m down for more complete sets like this at $20!

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  7. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    There are two listings for that set. For me, one is that ~$45 set and the other shows "In-store purchase only" with no price listed. Brickseek (use 833462952 as the SKU) doesn't have that 2nd one listed here but shows ~$40/copy at a store ~50 miles away. I've seen that before and the store will actually have stock at the price people have posted so it's a "go to the store and look just in case" thing. I was out of town yesterday (taking a kid to Band Camp ~3 hrs away) and checked the store in that town just in case. They had neither on the shelf with no spot for either (Brickseek shows a store ~25mi from them has a few at the $20 price - not worth the drive/hassle as it'd be a ~50mi detour).

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  8. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Cinematographer

Robert
    The Complete King of Queens.

$30 in a semi-local Second and Charles. Great price, since it seems to have gone OOP at some point and raised in price accordingly.

Jeff Flugel and Jasper70 like this.
  9. Wiseguy

Wiseguy Stunt Coordinator

Erich P. Wise
    It was treated everywhere as such. The "real" TV Guide listed the September 1977 premiere as the "second season," as did other sources.
    All the episodes on the DVD set were produced for one season and they all aired in the same one season.
    Universal is deluding people who don't know the facts into thinking they're getting two seasons for the price of one.

Two series that got it right are Seasons 1 & 2 of Wings and Newsradio. Those are actually two seasons in one set.

Jeff Flugel and bmasters9 like this.
  10. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    What about Moonlighting (brief first go to finish up 1984-85, then a full second go for 1985-86)?

11. Message #8751 of 8925 Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    [​IMG]

Don't judge by the subpar cover...This is a cracking espionage / thriller miniseries. I've been watching it on digital files, but they're far from perfect. By all accounts, the DVD should look better. I've liked what I've seen enough to want to add this to the collection.

Flashgear and Mysto like this.
  12. The Obsolete Man

Robert
    Streets of San Francisco, Walmart, $20 bucks, just now.

I took a chance when I finally saw a copy in a store, and it panned out.

Jasper70, Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  13. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    ^I looked for that one here... no luck... yet... hopefully it's just starting to show up.

14. The Obsolete Man

Robert
    This was the fourth Walmart I've been in, actually. I was looking for something else they aren't restocking, but always check the DVD section. One of them has cut the home media down to one side of an aisle, the other two have half-assed DVD sections and just don't stock it, and this one still had a respectable DVD section, though the set was labeled at $39.96.

However, knowing it had been on sale for $20, I took a chance on it and it came up the good price.

So it may never show up, depending on the state of your local Walmarts' DVD aisles.

bmasters9, Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  15. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    To me, that's something I've never gotten-- why Walmart has been inconsistent in how they sell and stock their DVDs!

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  16. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    From local observation it appears to be all about *who* shops at a store. One store here, the one I lovingly refer to as "The Joe 6-pack" store has a very good stock of DVD titles both old and new, classic and new TV series, dump bins in front and back of the store, and 2 or more stand alone DVD displays (those longish free-standing wire rack affairs), but little BR. The other, smaller, more "upscale clientele" store has less than half the media selection of the other one. It's also more geared to families (kids especially) with its titles and about half of the selections are BR. It has a smaller stand-alone DVD display and dump bins only in the front of the store. A store about that same size as the small one here in a more rural town ~15 miles away has roughly the same size of selection as our larger store - mostly DVD.

bmasters9 and Jeff Flugel like this.
  17. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    Is this a multi-season dvd set with seasons 1 to 3 ?

Or was it the complete series?

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  18. The Obsolete Man

Robert
    Complete. All 5 seasons.

Though I remember the 1-3 package you're talking about from a year or so ago.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  19. Likecats

Likecats Stunt Coordinator

William
    I got Screen Director's Playhouse from Mill Creek. I thought it was pressed, but it's a MOD. It cost 39.95.

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  20. Message #8760 of 8925 Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    (On a tangent).

In the spirit of my recent "jedi mindfuck" of "no bluray = no sale" rant thread,

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/which-modern-current-tv-shows-do-you-still-buy-on-dvd.362179/

over the past few years I've been following another "jedi mindfuck" to trick myself into not impulsively buying too many current/recent tv shows season sets. (No simple slogan for this one).

With Paramount releasing these multiple-season sets (typically 3 or 4 seasons of around 24 discs), I've been fooling myself into NOT buying current tv season sets when they are first released. The idea is to wait for these 3 or 4 multi-season sets to appear or a complete series set.

The idea is to delay several years for the "hotheaded" mentality of my current impulse buying to "cool down" for particular titles. So by the time the 3 or 4 multi-season dvd sets appear at the local Wallmart, the hope is that my mind is somewhat more rational about dvd (or bluray) buying decisions and less prone to impulse buying.

For example, awhile ago I purchased the seasons 9-12 dvd set of NCIS but not the seasons 1-4 set of NCIS:Los Angeles. As much as I like both shows, I suspect that NCIS: Los Angeles wouldn't have much rewatch value for me.

My basic litmus test for "rewatch value" of recent/current long running tv shows, is whether I'm willing to sit down and watch through the daily reruns. (ie. More than just playing them in the background when I'm at home).

Though with that being said, I understand that I'm now "a part of the problem" of tv on bluray being discontinued. In more recent times, I'm now "a part of the problem" of tv on dvd going MOD-only or not being released at all. (For example, such as Law & Order SVU which I use to buy the dvd season sets semi-consistently in the past).

(EDIT: My subsequent followups to this post will be in my "jedi mindfuck" thread ).