What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (2 Viewers)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
OMG I haven't seen this since the 70's. That and Journey to the Center of the Earth

Yeah, the nostalgia bug bit me, as I watched re-runs of both series on Boston-area TV in the early 1970s. Some/all of them (Fantastic Voyage episodes, which I enjoy a bit more) are currently on YouTube, but I wanted a hard copy. I was thinking maybe Journey to the Center of the Earth also got a UK DVD release, but an Amazon.uk search didn't yield any such results, so I guess not. Both cartoons did get some brief play in the early days of the Sci-Fi Channel, in the mid-1990s.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I just watched Gathering of the Team on YouTube. It really encapsulated what seemed to be popular at the time: Cold War espionage, with undersea adventure, SF and fantasy mysticism. With a big helping of Marvel Comics, honestly. I can see why I loved this series as a kid.

I wonder if the Filmation guys realized how spooky the end titles were? The fabulous but somber music against the seemingly deserted CMDF headquarters and the sound effects going on. Great stuff.

Last edited:

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Just picked up the vei limited release of Barnaby Jones complete series, glad I went for this over condensed set, 45 discs over 30, the episodes are watchable in that old school kind of way but further compressed would be scary.

Also picked up Starsky and Hutch and Partridge Family from mill creek, once again watchable.

Finally caved and ordered Season 1 of Baretta

And ordered from EBay Shout Factory’s complete TJ Hooker set $32 not a bad price

Guess I’m binging on 70’s and 80’s cop shows

Jasper70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harold
Just picked up the vei limited release of Barnaby Jones complete series, glad I went for this over condensed set, 45 discs over 30, the episodes are watchable in that old school kind of way but further compressed would be scary.

Also picked up Starsky and Hutch and Partridge Family from mill creek, once again watchable.

Finally caved and ordered Season 1 of Baretta

And ordered from EBay Shout Factory’s complete TJ Hooker set $32 not a bad price

Guess I’m binging on 70’s and 80’s cop shows

Just a warning, I bought the complete Facts of Life on eBay , another Shout release which was a total bootleg. Hopefully your Hooker is not. If a Shout release is offered way below what Shout sells it for and the seller has multiple brand new copies chances are it’s a bootleg.
I complained to the seller and explained how you can check the disc density on your computer, seller said they had no idea and refunded me and let me keep it, unfortunately I’ve never watched it as the quality looks like VHS.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
It looks like the actual release and the buyers feedback is good so we’ll see
Double check it anyway. Lots of those Shout bootlegs look like the real deal right down to the silk screening on the discs. The easy way is to check the total size of the files on the disc. If it's 4.7GB or *smaller* then you have a bootleg on DVD5 discs. All Shout releases are DVD9s which hold up to 8.5GB. All of the official Shout discs I've checked are in the 7GB and larger size.

Jasper70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harold
So watched a few episodes of the A-Team tonight. Episode 3 is supposed to be in Florida. Born and raised here in Florida, never knew we had mountains lol

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Just ordered SCREEN DIRECTORS PALYHOUSE, a nineteen fifties , B&W anthology show just released by Mill Creek.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Double check it anyway. Lots of those Shout bootlegs look like the real deal right down to the silk screening on the discs. The easy way is to check the total size of the files on the disc. If it's 4.7GB or *smaller* then you have a bootleg on DVD5 discs. All Shout releases are DVD9s which hold up to 8.5GB. All of the official Shout discs I've checked are in the 7GB and larger size.

And Shout is no help whatsoever.

I got some discs that may have been bootlegs, and when I e-mailed them for exact specs on the discs, all they gave me was a copy and paste from a blog post about bootlegs. So in the end, I couldn't prove anything, PQ wasn't horrible, so I kept them and Shout likely lost some money on the deal.

Anyway, latest purchase... Big Bang Theory Blu set, seasons 1-11. The UK set, which is region-free (thanks WB), so it was $66. Another blind buy, but at, what, 6 bucks per set? Why not?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Just a warning, I bought the complete Facts of Life on eBay , another Shout release which was a total bootleg. Hopefully your Hooker is not. If a Shout release is offered way below what Shout sells it for and the seller has multiple brand new copies chances are it’s a bootleg.
I complained to the seller and explained how you can check the disc density on your computer, seller said they had no idea and refunded me and let me keep it, unfortunately I’ve never watched it as the quality looks like VHS.
Got the set today brand new and shrink wrapped

Attachments

• A5B9D82F-D0D0-4241-ACF0-D1DF45BEACDE.jpeg
    A5B9D82F-D0D0-4241-ACF0-D1DF45BEACDE.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks