What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I finally caved and purchased a copy of one of the *many* bootleg sets of Amos 'n Andy when it was offered for $13 as a Amazon Lightning Deal a week or so back. Surprisingly it's pressed. Packaging is horrible (overlarge paperboard pages). Video quality is what you'd expect for a boot - mostly from multi generation dupes (most appear to have been from video tape) with crushed blacks and blooming whites, but it's watchable. Audio is acceptable with a slight hum present but it's generally clear and understandable. There's also the always laughable, and annoying, bug from the "distributor" which appears once or twice per episode in the lower right of the screen. I say laughable as these always smack of someone attempting to stop others copying "their" work. My dad has a few episodes on DVD he made from some tapes that were in circulation during the VHS days but this one has all available episodes (74 of the 78 produced) as well as a large number of the radio broadcasts. I've not listened to any of them yet as I have to be in the right frame of mind for that. Hopefully they'll be in good shape as I'm looking forward to those as I've never heard any before. I may try to rip those for the car. At least they're in PD so that part of the set is legit.

I've really been enjoying revisiting this series after decades. I saw some of the episodes during syndication in the early-mid 60s before pressure from the NAACP finally caused CBS to pull it from syndication. I still don't see the objection (and based on a documentary I once saw, neither do the principal actors in the series) but it is what it is. Frankly it's far less stereotypical and objectionable than many later all-black series (some of which were produced, written, and directed by black folks). Almost every person seen is black with many professionals from lawyers to doctors on hand. Aside from Kingfish everyone else appears to be a productive member of society but even he has his moments and is, at heart, a good person. Other than use of poor grammar (mostly using "is" in place of "are"), which was fairly accurate for the times and I still hear it some today, it's written very well. Maybe one day CBS will do the right thing and give us a proper release.

Based on the name of the series I always thought Amos and Andy were the principals but that's not the case. It's mostly about "Kingfish" and Andy with Amos making the occasional brief appearance. However, Amos does the narration whenever that's needed so you do hear him fairly frequently.

My grandson watched a couple of episodes with me last night and enjoyed them. I don't know that he'd specifically ask to see more but that he didn't ask to watch something else is rather telling. He *did* laugh several times over the misunderstandings in the episodes or the hot-water Kingfish found himself in due to his machinations.

I've watched the first 24 episodes so far. While there have been a couple of "meh" episodes the majority have been quite humorous and fun with plot lines not all that dissimilar from those you'd see on I Love Lucy, The Honeymooners, or other series from that era. I did a bit of reading about the series and discovered they used a 3 camera setup months before Desi started its use for I Love Lucy. Amos 'n Andy also filmed without an audience and then showed the completed episode to a studio audience to record their response, much like done with many British series for many years.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I've really been enjoying revisiting this series after decades. I saw some of the episodes during syndication in the early-mid 60s before pressure from the NCAACP finally caused CBS to pull it from syndication.

I think you mean "NAACP."

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
trip to wally
rip to wallet
those bastards!

Hill Street Blues $70
Hogan's Heroes $40
Gunsmokes! season 8-9 set (74 episodes!!!) $30

gunsmoke_title_o.gif

that was yesterday, going back today to get McHale's Navy. all the shows and 2 movies. $40.

i'm broke

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
trip to wally
rip to wallet
those bastards!

Hill Street Blues $70
Hogan's Heroes $40

that was yesterday, going back today to get McHale's Navy. all the shows and 2 movies. $40.

i'm broke

All-in-ones?

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
All-in-ones?
Hill street & McHale have all seasons in separate cases together in a large cardboard holder.
Hogan & gunsmoke are those plastic boxes with the many folders holding all discs. Gunsmoke has no cardboard cover but the others do. great deals!

Wally also has (had, mine is out) I Love Lucy in a set like Hogan and McHale, $45. I need a all new copy of lucy since my heart box set has skipping episodes. If this one skipped I'd jump to my death out the window.

883427a2c79a712969e2190714a9b43a.jpg

Last edited:

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
trip to wally
rip to wallet
those bastards!

Hill Street Blues $70
Hogan's Heroes $40

gunsmoke_title_o.gif

i'm broke

I just got back from there. They've added WKRP, Wonder Years, Dr. Quinn, and One Day at a Time since my last visti.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Hill street has all seasons in separate cases together in a large cardboard holder.
Hogan, McHale, gunsmoke are those plastic boxes with the many folders holding all discs. Gunsmoke has no cardboard cover but the others do. great deals!

Wally also has (had, mine is out) I Love Lucy in a set like Hogan and McHale, $45. I need a all new copy of lucy since my heart box set has skipping episodes. If this one skipped I'd jump to my death out the window.

883427a2c79a712969e2190714a9b43a.jpg

That's what I wanted to know!

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Received the classic Doctor Who story "The Enemy Of The World" Special Edition from Amazon.UK. Didn't know if a North America version would ever be released. Lots of extras. The first release was bare bones.
91TJyJ-T5HL._SY445_.jpg

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
^ my fav doctor. The first a very close second. He died about 3 hours from where I live right now back in the 80s. Here in backwards GA, a long way from his home. I was too shy to be a radioman back in those days and barely knew who from Starlog magazines. wasn't until BBC America in the 90s when I finally saw the joys of Tom Baker!! (my who history...hee)

i'd forgot what 3D blu ray I saw in wallys bin. NOW i remember, It was the who one with Dark water and death in heaven. loOOOOOOOOng time since I saw a 3D in wallys. i already had it. did get Boyhood filmed with the same actor from kid to adult.

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
I ordered season three of Just Shoot Me at a good price on Amazon. I've had the season 1 and 2 boxset and didn't think the early episodes were anything great but I read that the show took a little while to gel so I watched The Experiment from season 2 and laughed out loud. I will have to get the entire set later on when my budget allows.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
That price on McHale's Navy is superb! I paid more than that for used copies of the series some time back and ~$8 for the movies just a year ago.

When watching the series as a kid (during the original airings) I felt S4 was rather weak and not so good. As an adult I was surprised to find it's much better than I'd remembered. Almost as good as the first 3 seasons. I also really enjoyed the movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks