What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
But I'm not willing to take a chance on getting the whole thing and being stuck with a show I don't really care for anymore.

You know, I'm guilty of doing that too (getting a series whole-hog, then hardly touching it) with a lot of shows lately (but then again, as I've said before, sometimes I did go whole-hog and have it be worth it [Barney Miller, The Bob Newhart Show, M Squad, Wanted: Dead or Alive, etc.]).

Last edited:

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
The Naked City - Season 1 (John McIntire & James Franciscus)
I'm almost afraid to admit it here, but I am only now starting to appreciate what great actors both of these men were. I always pegged them as the "runner ups" when bigger actors weren't available. McIntire took over the lead on Wagon Train and The Virginian. Franciscus took over in Beneath The Planet Of The Apes when Heston wanted to limit his participation. But they were both fine actors with plenty of appeal and talent.
normal_10_1958-59_Naked_City_TV_series_-_John_McIntire_as_Lt__Dan_Muldoon_and_James_Franciscus.png

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I declare April to be "Little *stinker* month because out of the five persons awarded the "Little *Stinker* of the Century on December 31, 1999, three of them have April birthdays! First up is Phan Thi Kim Phuc, who received the Woman's International Little *Stinker* of the Century award. Today is her birthday, to commemorate it I relieved amazon.com and two "trading sites" of one DVD set each. The one from amazon is a DVD of the series Miami Undercover. I decline to name the two I bought from the "trading sites". The next two days I'll be purchasing DVD sets occur on 4/14 (The men's International Little *Stinker* of the Century award winner's birthday) and April 22 (The Woman's USA Little *Stinker* of the Century award winner's birthday). Watch my signature for changes of the numbers. :blink:

Last edited:

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Ironside season 3
King of Queens complete series
Have Gun Will Travel complete series
Twilight Zone Blu-ray complete series
Scorpion season 2
Hunter season 3
Dick Van Dyke season 1 Blu-ray
My Three Sons seasons 1 and 2
The Patty Duke Show season 1
That Girl season 2
Mchales Navy Season 1

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Ironside season 3
King of Queens complete series
Have Gun Will Travel complete series
Twilight Zone Blu-ray complete series
Scorpion season 2
Hunter season 3
Dick Van Dyke season 1 Blu-ray
My Three Sons seasons 1 and 2
The Patty Duke Show season 1
That Girl season 2
Mchales Navy Season 1

Wow, that's quite a haul! Those should keep you busy for quite a while, Steve.

I'm thinking of picking up the first season of My Three Sons as well, even though I know about the unfortunate music substitutions (which are a deal breaker for some). The sets are cheap enough, and I really want to see that first season, which apparently has some pretty creative shows. McHale's Navy S1 is on my wishlist as well. I'm slowly increasing my classic TV sitcom collection. Sitcoms will never be my favorite type of TV show, but I'm finding a new appreciation for those from the 50s and 60s these days.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I love sitcoms, especially those from the 50s and 60s. They make up the majority of my collection from those years... I think... I've not checked in some time and I do have a large selection of Westerns from those years so it could be rather close.

I watched My Three Sons during the original run and, like others, avoided the release for quite a while due to the music substitutions. When I finally caved, due to a very low price, I found they weren't as objectionable as I'd expected them to be. If you've never heard the original music I doubt you'd notice at all. It's still a funny series and the music subs don't remove that. I'd really like to get another two or three years of that one (I pretty much lost interest after S5 and watched more out of habit rather than a love for the show).

I think I like McHale's Navy more now then I did during its original airings. I see and "get" things I didn't as a kid which almost makes them new. It also didn't hurt that it had been 30 years since I'd last seen an episode when I watched S1 a year or so back. I wasn't sure if I'd still like it but enjoyed it so much that I purchased the rest of the series.

** EDIT **
Curiosity got the best of me and I had to run a check on the 50s/60s series genre numbers in my collection. I looked at multi-genre series and decided where it fit based on the overall theme/feeling of the program.

Comedy - 69
SF/Fantasy - 23
Western - 22
Drama/Action/Adventure/Horror - 26 (anything that doesn't fit the Comedy/SF/Fantasy/Western genres)

I was surprised to find so many SF/Fantasy series. I'd have thought those would have been the fewest based on general recollections.

Last edited:

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Wow, that's quite a haul! Those should keep you busy for quite a while, Steve.

I'm thinking of picking up the first season of My Three Sons as well, even though I know about the unfortunate music substitutions (which are a deal breaker for some). The sets are cheap enough, and I really want to see that first season, which apparently has some pretty creative shows. McHale's Navy S1 is on my wishlist as well. I'm slowly increasing my classic TV sitcom collection. Sitcoms will never be my favorite type of TV show, but I'm finding a new appreciation for those from the 50s and 60s these days.

I like to laugh and sitcoms can usually be purchased at a good price. My three sons is definitely at a good price right now and the picture quality of the two released seasons is quite good. Just when I think I'm done with 60's sitcoms some more pop up. I don't have any episodes of Mr Ed, Dobie Gillis, Doris Day Show, Family Affair, My Favorite Martian, or Car 54. And there are a lot of missing seasons from titles that I do have. I sat down and watched The Patty Duke Show when it arrived Friday since it was a favorite growing up and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
VEI Magician all-in-one (discussion of that 1973-74 NBC detective series w/the late Bill Bixby probably spurred me to want to see this)

Yes, same here...got my eye on this, plus the VEI Longstreet and The Immortal sets. They're a tad more pricey than I'd like, but I need more 70s action dramas in my collection, and these are shows that I thought would never make it to DVD. I feel I need to support a company like VEI, who are willing to release these kinds of lesser-known shows. Will likely pull the trigger on these in the next few months.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Yes, same here...got my eye on this, plus the VEI Longstreet and The Immortal sets. They're a tad more pricey than I'd like, but I need more 70s action dramas in my collection, and these are shows that I thought would never make it to DVD. I feel I need to support a company like VEI, who are willing to release these kinds of lesser-known shows. Will likely pull the trigger on these in the next few months.

I'll probably go in on that '81 NBC Nero Wolfe at the top of May (have never seen that, either)!

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
This weekend is the birthday of the Woman's USA Little *Stinker* of the Century. In commemoration of this I relieved the big river of the following:

Crossbow

Nash Bridges

These two shows, along with a few others I ordered last week will raise the tally of TV Episodes, Movies, Serial Chapters and Documentaries I own Past the:banana:50,000 :banana:mark! :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
In honor of the birthday of the Men's International Little *Stinker* of the Century bought these three series:

This weekend is the birthday of the Woman's USA Little *Stinker* of the Century. In commemoration of this I relieved the big river of the following:

You've explained what these mean before...but I just don't remember.

Huh?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks