What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The first series' worth (a series is to the Brits what a season is to us) of All Creatures Great and Small w/Christopher Timothy as British vet James Herriot

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Hazel - S3
Duck Dynasty - S8
American Dad - V3
Charlie's Angels - S2
Barney Miller - S4
Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries - S2
Parks & Recreation - S7 (another completed)
The Adventures of Gumby - The 60s Series Volume 1 (the "regular" release as I already have the "bendies" in both "normal" and "mini" sizes. :) )

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Enjoyed that first series' worth of All Creatures Great and Small so much that I recently purchased the second series' worth; that should arrive this Friday

t2smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Toby
I don't buy too many DVDs, but I will never say never. I pretty much limit my DVDs to old TV shows that were videotaped and a few shows that I hold out little hope of being released on Blu. The last DVD set I bought was "The Three Stooges: The Ultimate Collection." I could see it possibly being released on Blu in the future, but I couldn't pass it up when Amazon had it for $22.99. I will probably also get the complete series of Highway to Heaven on DVD at some point since I don't see it being released on Blu. It was a battle to get all nine seasons of Little House on the Prairie released on Blu, so I don't hold out much hope for HTH or anything else that was less popular than Little House.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I don't buy too many DVDs, but I will never say never. I pretty much limit my DVDs to old TV shows that were videotaped and a few shows that I hold out little hope of being released on Blu. The last DVD set I bought was "The Three Stooges: The Ultimate Collection." I could see it possibly being released on Blu in the future, but I couldn't pass it up when Amazon had it for $22.99. I will probably also get the complete series of Highway to Heaven on DVD at some point since I don't see it being released on Blu. It was a battle to get all nine seasons of Little House on the Prairie released on Blu, so I don't hold out much hope for HTH or anything else that was less popular than Little House.
Having seen firsthand the less than desirable visual results of 480i Blu-ray port overs, I would highly recommend limiting the purchase of originally videotaped shows to DVD. A conversion of the taped before a live studio audience SANFORD & SON to Blu-ray would make absolutely no sense, for instance, and a marked degradation in the already inherently limited visual quality would most likely be the end result!

Speaking of THE THREE STOOGES: THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION 8 Volume DVD set, Amazon Canada had a similar deep discount a couple of years back, that this Canuck simply couldn't pass up on, either! In my opinion, the overall visual quality of this 20 disc set is sufficient that it would take a similarly ridiculously deep discount for me to bite on any future Blu-ray counterpart!

CHEERS! :)

t2smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Toby
I agree. There would be no quality benefit for a videotaped show on Blu-ray and no point unless they wanted to fit one or two seasons of a show on one disc. I'm guessing that hasn't been done because it would be confusing to consumers who expect Blu-rays to have pristine, HD quality video and it couldn't be marketed as remastered, restored, etc.

Sanford and Son is another series I have to get eventually. I've read reviews that said the video quality isn't that good, but I figure it can't be any worse than the TV broadcasts of the show.

The Three Stooges collection was remastered in HD, so it is probably the highest quality it can possibly be on DVD which is probably good enough for a black and white show mostly filmed indoors. A Blu-ray release would still have a noticeable improvement, but it would have to be under $30 for me to bother upgrading.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Because today is the birthday of the I.A.L.S. International Little (Stinker) of the (20th) Century (Flavio DaSilva for those of you in Rio Linda) I celebrated it by relieving "The Big River" of the following:

Medical Center Season 4

Goober and the Ghost Chasers

Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Mazinger Z: TV Series Vol. 2 (another TV series completed!)

--Also, the Twilight Time Blu-ray of the movie, The Killer Elite (1975), with Sam Peckinpah's ABC Stage '67 episode, "Noon Wine", as a bonus feature.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks