What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (1 Viewer)

Blurayfan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
The Rescuers/The Rescuers Down Under Blu ray

Cinderella Blu ray

Alice in Wonderland Blu ray

The Peanuts Holiday Collection Blu ray

It's a Wonderful Life Blu ray

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I believe all of my BF purchases have finally arrived so here goes:

Spartacus: Blood and Sand - S1

The Walking Dead - S1

The Goldbergs - S1

The Guild - S3

Vikings - S3

Black Sails - S1, S2

The Big Bang Theory - S8

The Rifleman - S2/V2

Agatha Christie's Poirot - The Final Cases Collection (S7 - S13) for another completed series

The nice part is the total for all that was just under $140.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I DREAM OF JEANNIE: THE COMPLETE SERIES (The Original Sony Set)

This marks the first time I deliberately ordered a version that includes Episodes that are Colorized only, even though there's a Black & White alternative! I'm sorry, but 139 episodes on 12 DVDs is just way too crammed, in my opinion!

Thus, far better overall higher PQ, via the IDOJ Episodes being spread out over 20 DVDs won out, over having the Season 1 Shows in their Original Black & White, but most likely suffer from visual issues due to overcompression! Besides that, the Sonys were half the price of the recently reissued Millcreeks!

Thankfully for me, this is a Christmas present for my lovely wife, who doesn't concern herself much with such things! :biggrin:

CHEERS! :)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Tony Bensley said:
I DREAM OF JEANNIE: THE COMPLETE SERIES (The Original Sony Set)

This marks the first time I deliberately ordered a version that includes Episodes that are Colorized only, even though there's a Black & White alternative! I'm sorry, but 139 episodes on 12 DVDs is just way too crammed, in my opinion!

Thus, far better overall higher PQ, via the IDOJ Episodes being spread out over 20 DVDs won out, over having the Season 1 Shows in their Original Black & White, but most likely suffer from visual issues due to overcompression! Besides that, the Sonys were half the price of the recently reissued Millcreeks!

Thankfully for me, this is a Christmas present for my lovely wife, who doesn't concern herself much with such things! :biggrin:

You can usually pick up a "like new" copy of that first season in BW for under $10 and still come out ahead - you get the BW you want and your wife can watch the color. Double win! :)

Tony Bensley said:
GILLIGAN'S ISLAND: Season 3 - Single Sided DVD Version:

My GI S1 & S2 sets are of the annoying Double Sided variety! :P

Depending on the price you may want to return S3 and just spring for the complete series set. It's typically only a few $$ more for all three seasons on glorious SS discs. I made that purchase sometime last year and was out a whole ~$15 (US) for a new copy. It regularly goes on sale in the $25 range. BUT... that's one series where I never had any issues with the DS discs so I either got lucky or that one's not one of the problem series.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Big Bang Theory: Season 1 on Blu-ray.

This was an upgrade over the DVD version.

Season One Penny in HD!

30247e657aaffc7861040acdc6493b70.jpg
Penny_purple.jpg

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
BobO'Link said:
You can usually pick up a "like new" copy of that first season in BW for under $10 and still come out ahead - you get the BW you want and your wife can watch the color. Double win! :)

Depending on the price you may want to return S3 and just spring for the complete series set. It's typically only a few $$ more for all three seasons on glorious SS discs. I made that purchase sometime last year and was out a whole ~$15 (US) for a new copy. It regularly goes on sale in the $25 range. BUT... that's one series where I never had any issues with the DS discs so I either got lucky or that one's not one of the problem series.
Hi Howie!

Regarding I DREAM OF JEANNIE, the Sony version of the Season 1 Black & White DVD set is unfortunately priced well over $20 on Amazon Canada! At that price, it just isn't a huge priority for me, though I would spend that for LEAVE IT TO BEAVER season sets, which tend to be ridiculously expensive on our Amazon platform!

About GILLIGAN'S ISLAND, the series set is currently over $40 on Amazon Canada, while I was able to order Season 3 for $11.99, so I don't feel too bad, in that particular case. As it stands, our local Shopper's Drug Mart has the first 2 single sided season sets in a decent price range, so I might just snap those up to replace the double sided sets, at some point.

Tony

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Tony Bensley said:
Hi Howie!

Regarding I DREAM OF JEANNIE, the Sony version of the Season 1 Black & White DVD set is unfortunately priced well over $20 on Amazon Canada! At that price, it just isn't a huge priority for me, though I would spend that for LEAVE IT TO BEAVER season sets, which tend to be ridiculously expensive on our Amazon platform!

About GILLIGAN'S ISLAND, the series set is currently over $40 on Amazon Canada, while I was able to order Season 3 for $11.99, so I don't feel too bad, in that particular case. As it stands, our local Shopper's Drug Mart has the first 2 single sided season sets in a decent price range, so I might just snap those up to replace the double sided sets, at some point.

Tony
OUCH! I knew prices were somewhat inflated in The Great White North but WOW! Yeah... that's a bit on the high side, eh? FWIW, all that "Complete Set" does is collect those 3 SS sets and puts them in a slipcase type box.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
GILLIGAN'S ISLAND: SEASON 3 (Single Sided DVDs!) ordered from Amazon Canada arrived today. I'm hoping to receive the Single Sided Seasons 1 & 2 (Currently $9.99 each at our local Shopper's Drug Mart) as a Christmas present, to replace my Double Sided Gilligan's!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Tony Bensley said:
GILLIGAN'S ISLAND: SEASON 3 (Single Sided DVDs!) ordered from Amazon Canada arrived today. I'm hoping to receive the Single Sided Seasons 1 & 2 (Currently $9.99 each at our local Shopper's Drug Mart) as a Christmas present, to replace my Double Sided Gilligan's!

I was hoping that just maybe , they might put Gilligan out on Blu-ray . So, I may wait just a bit longer . If it doesn't look like it will happen , I'll do what you did and get the single sided sets and give away the "flippers".

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
LouA said:
I was hoping that just maybe , they might put Gilligan out on Blu-ray . So, I may wait just a bit longer . If it doesn't look like it will happen , I'll do what you did and get the single sided sets and give away the "flippers".
Hi Lou!

Well, this article from January of last year confirms that GILLIGAN'S ISLAND has been remastered in HD for TV Land Broadcasts: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/01/16/gilligans-island-docks-at-tv-land-for-the-first-time-in-10-years/

While by itself, this confirms nothing in terms of Blu-ray issuing, the cost of HD scanning is out of the equation!

Perhaps I've jumped the gun, here? Time will tell!

Tony

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Tony Bensley said:
Hi Lou!

Well, this article from January of last year confirms that GILLIGAN'S ISLAND has been remastered in HD for TV Land Broadcasts: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/01/16/gilligans-island-docks-at-tv-land-for-the-first-time-in-10-years/

While by itself, this confirms nothing in terms of Blu-ray issuing, the cost of HD scanning is out of the equation!

Perhaps I've jumped the gun, here? Time will tell!

Tony
If any sitcom is popular enough to join Lucy , Andy , and Dick Van Dyke on BD it's probably Gilligan . Let's hope so!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
LouA said:
If any sitcom is popular enough to join Lucy , Andy , and Dick Van Dyke on BD it's probably Gilligan . Let's hope so!
Hi Lou!

Especially considering that HD Transfers have already been made, and are also available that way digitally on Amazon Video and Vudu, I'm inclined to agree with you!

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks