What's the i mean on current Polk speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith Mickunas, Aug 25, 2001.

1. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Does any one know the difference between the CS400 and CS400i? I have Polks from the previous generation, specifically RT800 for the front, RT55 for the rear, and a CS350 for the front. I considered trading the CS350 in on a CS400 a while back, and now with DVD-Audio looming in my near future I kind of wish I had since it can go down to 50Hz vs. 60Hz for the CS350. Since DVD-Audio players so far don't have bass management, this concerns me.
    I'd actually consider the CS1000p for this but I hope to move to Martin-Logan's in the not so distant future, so I'd hate to invest that much on a center channel now. The CS400 should in theory be a near perfect match for the RT800 so I'm curious as to how well the CS400i would match up.

2. Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey Second Unit

Lee Bailey
  3. Keith Mickunas

Does anybody know if this has had a significant affect on the sound? Will they match very well with the older stuff?

4. Tom Weeks

Tom Weeks Stunt Coordinator

I have a CS400 center and it seems to match up fairly well with my older (15 yrs.) Polk RTA12's. The test tones sound different (the center seems brighter than the mains), but in Dolby Digital playbacks you cant hear any difference between the three. The Polk site has (or had, I have not been there in awhile) a chart to show which speakers match up with each other. By the way, the CS400 is a rocking center channel.

5. Keith Mickunas

I don't think they've updated that chart in a while. They don't relate the i stuff to the non i stuff.
    I love my CS350, and when I asked my salesman about the CS400 he said that he could here a difference, but in a blind test he couldn't tell which was which. So I didn't see the need to upgrade at the time.
    Does anybody know how different the new tweeters are from the previous generation?

6. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

I wouldn't trade in the 350 for the 400...the 350 has a crispness that the 400 can't touch.
    The 'i' series has some slight differences in tweeter/x-over and has blue drivers. Also, veneer is real wood.
    Differences in tweet are slight. The x-over tweak supposedly 'warms' up the sound a bit. Drivers have a slightly different composition of materials.
    ------------------
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html
    [​IMG]