What's the HEAVIEST speaker on your 36" WEGA?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Captain Spaulding, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Captain Spaulding

Captain Spaulding Second Unit

Jay
    I've got a great center channel speaker, but it weighs about 25 lbs. Think it would be supported sufficiently by a new 36"WEGA? Anyone have a similar weight speaker on their WEGA? I'm not concerned about it sliding/falling off, but rather about that much weight doing some damage.

2. Matt Bloxham

Matt Bloxham Agent

I have had a Sony 32XBR450 for a year and half now with a Polk 400csi on the top. It is 27lbs. and is has bent the middle down about 1/2 inch. But looking at the tv straight on, you cannot see the dip down. It is only on the towards the back part (make sense?) I have my center angled down with a pair a rubber door stops (u can't see them either from the front) so that might be to blame too.

I have just upgraded to the B&W CDM CNT center and it is 30lbs.

The picture is great and so is the sound, and I can't see the dip at the back, so it doesn't bother me, just my two cents.

Good luck

Matt

3. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

I've had a 26lbs speaker on top of my flimsy and too narrow Toshiba 40X81 for over two years. I assure you, a Wega is about 100x as strong, and the screen is actually ~6" of solid glass, you may warp the case very slighly, but it certainly will never effect the picture.

4. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

I have a 36-lbs NHT AC-2 sitting atop my 32" XBR with no visible effects although I placed a particle board as a "shelf" atop the TV which definitely helps to dissipate the weight of the speaker.

5. Gus Smith

Gus Smith Extra

I have a Klipsch RC-3 on top of my 36 XBR 800, it's 29 lbs.
    On top of the RC-3 is my Directv tuner.

I've only had the TV for a week and it handles the speaker with no problem so far.

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I would be very reluctant to cause any cosmetic damage of so expensive a display as an XBR-series WEGA. I mean, warping the cabinet on a set that costs more than a couple of grand?

7. Larry Becker

Larry Becker Agent

I have a '97 KV32XBR45 with a 39' Energy Veritas 2.0C on top of it. I had to build a shelf to raise it up about 6" above the tube because I was getting a little distortion from the magnet in the speaker. So, I've probably got 42 lbs on top of the tv. The speaker is supported on a tv-top shelf (marketed by Rockler.com) that spreads out the weight ok. I haven't noticed any problem at all.

Larry

8. Gus Smith

Gus Smith Extra

This thread caused me to take a closer look at my setup yesterday.

The TV (36XBR800) can easily handle the RC-3, it's an extremely sturdy platform and won't have any problems at all with this speaker.

9. Captain Spaulding

Jay
    Interestingly, here is the response I received from Sony Customer Service about this:
    Jay Friedman,

Thank you for contacting SONY Online Support.

We do not recommend sitting a speaker of that weight on top of the television. This may lead to damaging the cabinet or the television itself.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.

The SONY Internet Group
    Online Support and Services Center
    CV1D
    Bennie

10. Captain Spaulding

Jay