Whats the Difference???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason_Hall, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Jason_Hall

Jason_Hall Auditioning

Okay I am completely lost.....

Whats the difference between HDTV and HDTV Compatable????

I saw a HDTV setup and it was impressive however is it worth the almost 2X cost???

Thanks for the help gang!!

2. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

HDTV Compatable means that it is capable of HD resolutions of 1080i or 720p, but you have to buy an HD tuner to get those resolutions. Either from a dish co, cable co, or you can get an over the air tuner to watch what your local channels offer in HD. I know HD dish receivers are about $400-500 more, and an OTA tuner runs the same price tag.

The HDTV set you were looking at (I'm guessing either a Mits or Hitachi) had a higher price tag because it had the HD tuner built into it for OTA viewing.

3. Jason_Hall

Jason_Hall Auditioning

I am sure some brands of televisions are better than others...like cars :)

what is the best overall (obviously it is relative but I mean overall quality, bang for the buck)

JVC
    Sony
    Toshiba
    Panasonic
    Hitachi

What....ARGH this is oh so confusing...

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Jason. Welcome to HTF! [​IMG]

Yes, HDTV IS confusing. There are a lot of political, economic, copy-protection issues in the back end that help muddle the waters.

5. Iver

Iver Second Unit

An HDTV has an integral tuner allowing it receive (with an appropriate antenna) and display digital broadcasts at the new ATSC resolutions.

An HD-ready set is capable of displaying video images at the higher resolutions used with the ATSC broadcasts but does not include an ATSC tuner. Also, an HD-ready set lets you view DVD's (or any other video source) at 480-progressive, making HD-ready monitors popular for home theater.

Many people prefer the economy and flexibility they get by going with an HD-ready set and a separate HDTV tuner (set-top-box or STB).

On the other hand, the most advanced features are usually found on a manufacturer's full-on HDTV's (a set such as Mitsubishi's new 55859).