What's new

What's The Difference Between (1 Viewer)

AbelM

Second Unit
Shakers and subs? Are they the same thing? I always hear, I am gonna use an amp to power my shakers, then another amp to power my SVS sub...well isn't that the same thing?!

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
A sub (subwoofer) is an actual loudspeaker to reproduce low frequency sound.
A shaker (bass shaker) is used to make furniture, usually seats or sofas, vibrate. The innards are in principle the same as a loudspeaker, a coil of wire that vibrates within a magnet.
With enough speakers all around as in a (real) theater auditorium, the lower frequency sound coming from them may be enough to give your body the sensation of "feeling" the audio. A shaker achieves that effect without endangering your hearing with as much audio in the smaller home theater room.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I remember when this was poorly introduced into car audio a few years back. Alpine paved the way with their line of Bass Engines. It was all the rave for about a month, then people began having trouble with the shakers drawing too much power from the amps and overheating them during extended playing. Fortunately, for the car audio world, it slipped silently away in the night, hopefully never to return.
I never quite saw the need for it in car audio, but home audio seems to have a good application.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Much cheaper, Aura pairs go for 30 - 40 bucks on Ebay, some other brands get very expensive.

Run them like an unpowered sub.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
Abel,

No offense intended, but in your profile you claim to be a home theater set-up designer. You don't know the difference between a bass shaker and a subwoofer?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks