What's the difference between Win98 and 98SE?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd Hochard, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I've been wondering this for a while.

I have a Win98 disc that came with my PII Gateway back in Summer '98, when Win98 was just released.

I'm trying to put together a low-cost 98SE DVD HTPC, and I'm wondering what SE added.

More importantly, if I load the original Win98, can I download everything to get me to SE level from Windows Update. I have broadband, so that's feasible, if it can be done.

Todd

2. Alan Curry

Alan Curry Agent

3. Todd Hochard

Thanks, Alan! That explained it in excruciating detail.

I'm thinking of using 98, to get the lowest CPU utilization with a minimum of extra junk, so that I can get smooth playback with a PIII-450 on a 100Mhz BX motherboard.

I have a Radeon 7000 for video, allowing custom resolutions, but I'm still looking for a decent sound card. I have a SB Live Value, but I've heard these can be resource hogs.

I wonder if I could install a stripped-down WinME and get the same results.

Todd

4. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

well, you should be careful with what dvd software player you choose... power dvd, windvd, and ravisent players (cineplayer, ATI 5.0, some OEM players) have all been upgraded to only provide hardware acceleration with DXVA operating systems and video drivers...so you will need to think about that...In otherwords if you try and use one of those players with hardware acceleration, you will be screwed basically...Hardware accel cuts the CPU usage by and uses 10% on my system, versus 25-30% without it (software decoding).
    There is also a QFE thingy from MS that you will need to install to do some of the more HTPC things like use updated drivers which allow S/PDIF passthrough and stuff like that.
    I think you should go with 98SE.
    From my experience the OS doesn't really use CPU utilization a whole bunch while DVD apps are running...with XP I use 10% opf a 1.4 Tbird with hardware DXVA acceleratiuon enabled, with DD/DTS passthrough, with any of those three players. This is a fast DDR system though, your results may vary, and the difference is probably exponential over different cpu platforms.
    you will also want to check out Zoomplayer when you get set up..it is a front end which takes advantage of filters from the various players to use their video and audio decoding capabilities...and it uses VERY LITTLE CPU time... The whole program is only 500k download...I submitted most of the DVD Profiles that are included which can use the Audio from WinDVD and the video from Power DVD, etc.. Pretty cool since windvd can be the easiest audio DD/DTS stream to go to the soundcard, but Power DVD and Ravisent have the best video..neat trick.
    good resource for that info is here (ask a question), http://forum.inmatrix.com (zoom), and the one in my sig.
    A faster CPU wouldn't hurt, but by using a slower one you are more easily able to keep your system quiet and cool at the same time. good decision there.[​IMG]

5. Todd Hochard

6. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

Hi,

your setup sounds nice and quiet, and cheap...all these things are good for the HTPC

Under XP all dvd overlay interlaced resolutions are not possible right now. BUT the consensus seems to be that running interlaced for DVDs is not really the better solution. You would probably get the same or better results running even multiples of the vertical and horizontal resolutions, but not interlaced. For instance 720x480, 1440x480, and so on...

With 98SE the 7093 ATI drivers will allow interlaced resolutions for the overlay, but won't work for DXVA for those DXVA players like, ATI 5.0, cineplayer 4, power dvd 4.0...

7199 drivers won't allow interlaced dvd overlay, but will allow the utilization of DXVA.

so many people are having to make a choice there. But the DXVA players are the most current and do provide the best picture quality. If you are running compliant drivers (7199) I believe there is another setting that you need to change in the registry to properly use DXVA...you could do a search at avsforum.com or here to see if you find that info.

Oh, and I like Power DVD 4.0 as well, but aside from the audio decoding like DPLII, and DTS decoding...I find the feature set in zoom to be much better...Very customizable. S/PDIF out will work with a registry addtion to the powerdvd audio under zoomplayer.

if you take a look at the current feature set of Zoom, and you see some things you like, then it is worth the effort. And I would be glad to help you with it. The color sdjustments work solid, and things like aspect ratio adjustments, bookmarks, autostart, are all saved on a per-disc basis. I used PowerDVD XP 4.0 for a while, but I kept getting ticked when there was just that feature that annoyed me.. with zoom once you set it up to your liking you really don't run into that too much.

The ravisent filters are being tweaked as we speak, there are alot of people that report miucro-stutter, and stuttering on their systems. Going into the registry under "Ravisent" (both local_machine, and Current_user) and look for the DXVAEnableFrameDrop key and you can set that to 0...then you just need to see if that allow the video and audio to go out of sunch. If not, then you will have smooth playback. Running DXVA of course.

So the options you have with 98SE are to use Hardware Accel (iDCT) with ATI 4.1 player or TheaterTek and 7093 drivers, or use DXVA with ATI 5.0 (Cineplayer 4.0) PowerDVD 4.0, or WinDVD 3.1, with the 7199 drivers.

The Hardware acceleration does indeed provide a better picture for film dvds, and you can always disable it when you see a video concert dvd or something with bad combing.

DXVA and Hardware Accel are the same thing except now microsoft is using DXVA (pushing it too) because it is a non-brand specific interface for hardware accel. Where as before DXVA was used the programs had to address each different video card differently.

I use an Enermax 365 power supply, the one with the dual fan, just pull the internal 92mm fan, or disconnect it, and it is very quiet and very solid power supply.

by the way, Zoom player really lends itself to remote control use, if you are intersted in that. Just about every feature can be made to work with a remote control, and the various software you can use to interact with IR keyboards and receivers.

cheers, hope I made SOME sense. ok, I got the cork back in it now.