What's the difference between car amps and home audio amps?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianRS, Mar 11, 2003.

1. BrianRS

BrianRS Stunt Coordinator

Actually, I'm just looking for an inexpensive amp to power 4 of the 25 watt bass shakers. I know I need about 100-125 watts of power and a crossover, but it seems that car amps are much cheaper. Could I use a car amp for this purpose?
    -Thanks.

2. Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn Second Unit

Sure, but then you would have to also buy a DC power-supply capable of feeding the car amp the 10 or so amps of power it needs. I think you'll find that those kind of power supplies aren't cheap. Youre better off buying a cheap plate amp to power them.

RG

3. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Also, most car amps run at 2-4 ohms, where home theater uses 8 ohms.

4. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

Yeah, but the shakers run at 4 ohms...

What I'd do in this situation:

Check out the local goodwill stores, used gear places, etc., and find an old stereo receiver that'll push at least 30 watts/channel. Some "pro sound" and PA amps won't go down to 20hz - don't use 'em. You may be able to score quite a deal on the old gear. Goodwill and Salvation Army stuff tends to be VERY price effective. May be ugly, but hey, you can hide it. Doesn't have to be a name brand either, just so it'll do at least 30 watts/channel down to 20hz.

Wire the shakers for an 8 ohm load, one set per side of the stereo. Run the stereo on mono.

What I did:

I've got an old Marantz 2230 (30/side) receiver.

Wired 'em for 8 ohm loads. Four of 'em (two sets of wires) under my sofa.

I split the signal going to the sub, then split it again going into the right and left.

My little DLS-10 is running at about 1/4 on the volume knob. Signal from the LFE is at +4 on my Denon 1803. The volume knob on the Marantz is at about 2 o'clock (you probably don't wanna crank it all the way - play with it first), and the whole situation is VERY cool. You wanna calibrate your sub with a ratshack meter and your receiver's settings, then after that's done, play with the "volume" on the shakers using your butt to calibrate...

5. Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn Second Unit

Well, if you can't find something decent at Goodwill, just go get one of these from PE :120W Sub Amp

Wire it up so that you have 2 pairs of shakers, each pair consisting of 2 shakers in series to get to 8 ohm, then wire the pairs together in parallel to get back to 4 ohm. Then plug up to the amp and go.

RG