What's new

What's the difference between a CDR & a Music CDR? (1 Viewer)

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
What's the difference between a CDR & a Music CDR? I have recorded music cds on standard cdrs and have been happy with the sound quality. Would there be a noticible difference if I would have used a music cdr?

Scott Pagac

Stunt Coordinator
From what I have heard, the Music CD-R discs are for the stand alone CD recorders (hooked up to your entertainment system). These recorders will not record to regular computer CD-R discs. Also, they are more expensive because the manufacturers have to pay a royalty to the record companies for each disc produced.

Regular CD-R discs are for computer recorders. I think they will accept the Music CD-R's as well, but why pay extra for them? There is no audible difference.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but that is my understanding of the two.

--Scott

Steve Owen

Second Unit
Scott is correct. A music CD-R has bit already pre-set that stand-alone music players need to see in order to allow recording. It has to do with royalty payments to music companies (that's that music CD-Rs are more expensive).
A computer can use a data CD-R or a music CD-R, but other than that bit, there's absolutely no difference. If you're using a computer for burner, there's no reason to use a music CD-R since they're generally more expensive.
As an interesting side note, my new hero, Congressman Rick Boucher, has Link Removed to Hilary Rosen (President of the RIAA) asking how they get off adding copy protection to CDs while at the same time collecting royalties on blanks. At least someone in congress is looking out for our fair use rights.
-Steve

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
It has to do with royalty payments to music companies (that's that music CD-Rs are more expensive).
Just wanted to chime in with the others. The whole idea here is for every blank "Music CDR" sold, the recording industry gets a cut of the money to offset piracy. Essentially, they're saying, "Well, the only reason you need a CDR is to pirate our music, so give us more money, you thief!" You're just automatically guilty and have to pay a "fine" whether you like it or not.

Don't buy music CDRs. They will do nothing to improve the sound quality of your music; again, as the others said, they're just regular old CDRs with a bit set that allows a stand-alone (as opposed to computer based) CD burner to burn to them. If you tried to use a regular CDR with a stand-alone burner, it wouldn't work. Again, this is not a technical limitation, it's a scheme to extort money from you because "only pirates and thiefs have any need to make their own CDs." (we heard the same bullshit with cassettes and VHS tapes)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Ryan,

The same royalty has been imposed on CompactCassette since the 70s I think, and is also on MiniDisc and DAT media as well.
With the possibility of audio cleaning, normalizing, etc. on a PC, I have no idea why anyone would want a free-standing deck. It makes no sense
It sure is more convenient than using a PC, particularly when your desk is nowhere near the stereo. Also, Stand-alone recorders are much better for recording analog material unless one invests in a pro level sound card.

David Rubenstein

Stunt Coordinator
I actually got a Marantz CD Recorder deck a few years ago that can use non-music CDs.

I use my PC to burn CDs more frequently than the deck, but it is convenient to be able to burn my minidiscs and old LPs (using the cheap blanks).

Steven K

Supporting Actor
With the possibility of audio cleaning, normalizing, etc. on a PC, I have no idea why anyone would want a free-standing deck. It makes no sense
I couldn't agree more. Lets compare:

CD-Recorder (standalone): ~$500 for a decent one

as opposed to:

PIII 500 MHz: $400

Monitor: $100

CD-Burner: $75

Lets see, besides listening to and burning CDs, my standalone CD-Burner is good for... oh wait, nothing.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Lets see, besides listening to and burning CDs, my standalone CD-Burner is good for... oh wait, nothing.
Playing CDs!

I understand that PC burners give you a lot more flexibility and capability but they weren't practical in my case. Besides, I had previously been using my DVD player (Sony S300) as a CD player and, despite its 2 lasers, has trouble with CD-Rs. I ended up getting an Onkyo CD recorder (250 at Ubid) which has 2 trays, so as an added benefit, I got a multi-CD player as well.

I guess it all depends upon your sitation, setup etc. as to which type of CD recorder (PC or standalone) to get. But if you're using a PC-based burner, there's no point in buying the more expensive "music" CD-Rs.

E

Eric Kahn

the royalty thing is on all blank tape, you should here my musician friend bitch because he had to pay the riaa royalty on 2 inch mastering stock to record the master for his last blues album

talk about a racket

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
I have experimented with all different brands of CD-R and compared it to music CD-R that cost more. Everyone is right, there is no audio quality difference.

WHAT is different is that I can play these discs in really old CD-players that will not play CD-Rs. I have made CD-R and tried to play them on CD players from the late 80's. I have about 4 of them. regular cd-rs, any brand, blue or gold or silver has either skipped or not played at all on any of these players.

Then I tried just for the heck of it, the music CD-R to see if there was any difference. I burned the same content onto these discs and they finally played!!! A small number did skip at times, but re-burning the music CD-R at 2x and that problem was gone, too.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Anyone have any knowledge or experience between "Made In Taiwan" CD-Rs vs. "Made in Japan" CD-Rs? On db.etree.org, someone asked about CD media. Someone mentioned that, if you buy in bulk, like the 50 CD-R spindles, you should look for "Made in Japan" media because:

Many "name brands" subcontract w/ manufacturing plants in Taiwan that don't necessarily have high levels of QC(Quality Control) , and that also produce lower grades of discs (generics, etc.) The better CDRs are often manufactured in their own facilities (Kodak, Taiyo Yuden, Mitsui (although no longer made in Japan, rather U.S. and France), etc.) where QC is strict.

There are web sites out there that explain in greater detail... sa: cdmediaworld.com I think?
Is my leg being pulled or is there actual validity to this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks