What's the difference between a CDR & a Music CDR?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert_eb, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

What's the difference between a CDR & a Music CDR? I have recorded music cds on standard cdrs and have been happy with the sound quality. Would there be a noticible difference if I would have used a music cdr?

2. Scott Pagac

Scott Pagac Stunt Coordinator

From what I have heard, the Music CD-R discs are for the stand alone CD recorders (hooked up to your entertainment system). These recorders will not record to regular computer CD-R discs. Also, they are more expensive because the manufacturers have to pay a royalty to the record companies for each disc produced.

Regular CD-R discs are for computer recorders. I think they will accept the Music CD-R's as well, but why pay extra for them? There is no audible difference.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but that is my understanding of the two.

--Scott

3. Steve Owen

Steve Owen Second Unit

Scott is correct. A music CD-R has bit already pre-set that stand-alone music players need to see in order to allow recording. It has to do with royalty payments to music companies (that's that music CD-Rs are more expensive).
    A computer can use a data CD-R or a music CD-R, but other than that bit, there's absolutely no difference. If you're using a computer for burner, there's no reason to use a music CD-R since they're generally more expensive.
    As an interesting side note, my new hero, Congressman Rick Boucher, has sent a letter to Hilary Rosen (President of the RIAA) asking how they get off adding copy protection to CDs while at the same time collecting royalties on blanks. At least someone in congress is looking out for our fair use rights.
    -Steve

4. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Ryan,

The same royalty has been imposed on CompactCassette since the 70s I think, and is also on MiniDisc and DAT media as well.

6. David Rubenstein

David Rubenstein Stunt Coordinator

I actually got a Marantz CD Recorder deck a few years ago that can use non-music CDs.

I use my PC to burn CDs more frequently than the deck, but it is convenient to be able to burn my minidiscs and old LPs (using the cheap blanks).

7. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

8. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin

9. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

the royalty thing is on all blank tape, you should here my musician friend bitch because he had to pay the riaa royalty on 2 inch mastering stock to record the master for his last blues album

talk about a racket

10. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

I have experimented with all different brands of CD-R and compared it to music CD-R that cost more. Everyone is right, there is no audio quality difference.

WHAT is different is that I can play these discs in really old CD-players that will not play CD-Rs. I have made CD-R and tried to play them on CD players from the late 80's. I have about 4 of them. regular cd-rs, any brand, blue or gold or silver has either skipped or not played at all on any of these players.

Then I tried just for the heck of it, the music CD-R to see if there was any difference. I burned the same content onto these discs and they finally played!!! A small number did skip at times, but re-burning the music CD-R at 2x and that problem was gone, too.

11. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

Anyone have any knowledge or experience between "Made In Taiwan" CD-Rs vs. "Made in Japan" CD-Rs? On db.etree.org, someone asked about CD media. Someone mentioned that, if you buy in bulk, like the 50 CD-R spindles, you should look for "Made in Japan" media because: