What's the device called that adds in some LFE?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Tony Stark, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Tony Stark

Tony Stark Stunt Coordinator

While doing alot of research on which sub to purchase I came across an article by one of "those" review websites.

The author said that one of his favorite investments is a small device that takes the input LFE signal from the reciever and when frequencies around ~40hz are detected it synthetically creates ~20hz freqs by duplicating the 40hz amplitudes and adds them to the input audio. The converter then is plugged into the sub's input.

He said it really gives an extra wallop to DVD's and that every HT should have one.

I don't know what it was called or how much one costs but I am interested in learning more. Does anyone have ideas on what this thing is called?

-T

2. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Darn, I know Audio control makes one for the car can the "epicenter" but I'm not sure about home.

B

3. Brad_See

Brad_See Stunt Coordinator

After only reading the title of your thread I was going to say "the volume knob." [​IMG]

I see what you mean now, though.

brad cook

4. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

John Johnson uses on over at Secrets. See his SVS 25-31PCi review for details. You can send him at email for specifics.

Regards,

Ed

5. Richard_M

Richard_M Second Unit

Hi Tony...

Here is one that could do the job, not sure on its quality though.

[​IMG]

Behringer EX1200

6. Nathan W.

Nathan W. Stunt Coordinator

I use two of these things for music listening - one in the livingroom system and one in my computer's sound system.

Although this unit does a little more than just add deep bass.

[​IMG]

I think I may try that Behringer. The Peavey doesn't operate flawlessly, but I sure do like it.

I just ordered one of those EX1200s. They sure are inexpensive compared to the Peavey unit.

7. Tony Stark

Tony Stark Stunt Coordinator

Thanks all.

I am going to checkout the Behringer EX1200 (and its competition). Cheaper than I thought at $120.

-T

8. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

I think the name you're all looking for is "octave divider" [​IMG]

9. Charlie C

Charlie C Stunt Coordinator

whats wrong with a bigger sub and sub amp for a little more bass?

10. John S

John S Producer

Hard call, if something like this would be better than just some good sub equalization or not.

Post back with your results.

11. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

subharmonic synthesizer. always wanted to buy one back in the 70s.

[​IMG]

ag.

12. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    None of them do, I expect. The problem I always had with mine was that if male voices or other things had been EQ’d poorly with too much bottom end, it would activate the processor. Then, on top of overly-boomy voices you would get this sub-harmonic “grumbling” underneath it.

The last version of the Audio Control PCA, the Series III, has a “film mode” that has a threshold for activation (i.e., responds to higher level signals), but even this is problematic at times. For instance, if you have a low-level low frequency event, like an explosion in the distance, it won’t activate. Even worse, if a low frequency signal starts out soft and increases in level, at some point the processor will unceremoniously kick in. Pretty distracting.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

13. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

[​IMG]

Synthesize extra bass frequencies? WTF?

Hmmm.........you know, I've never liked the background colors on da Vinci's "Mona Lisa" so let's grab some new paint & a brush, head over to the Louvre and slap on some fun colors to spice up that dreary old painting. [​IMG]

14. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

If you own it or have a personal print, knock yourself out. Give her a moustache, a mohawk, whatever you like. That's what makes freedom so great, you can do whatever you want with your property. Including changing the LFE on your own personal system...

15. Charlie C

Charlie C Stunt Coordinator

"if you own it" hahaha

thats like the picture of Wilson Watts on casters [​IMG]

or like turning the white house into the new DC projects.

"Give her a moustache, a mohawk, whatever you like" I think there is a web site that you can do this to her too!

"That's what makes freedom so great, you can do whatever you want," say it loud !!! "with your property".
    oh only my own property?

for my extra bass, ive got some eskimos playing timpanis in the corner of my studio.

16. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

As much as so many people here obsess over calibrating their system to within .0005dB of perfection to make sure the director's vision is properly reproduced, it's seems strange that adding bass effects that never existed in the first place to a soundtrack doesn't seem to bother them.

And changing LFE levels is something I have always advocated if the bass physically bothered a person (a very real possibility ) or was causing damage to a home. Do a search.

17. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Lance, you certainly have a valid point.

Actually, what they do is generate a signal an octave below the bass in the original audio. I think they generally work off of fundamentals in the 40-100Hz range, but the dbx models claim to have a two-band system for smoother operation.

About the only situation I’ve found mine useful is for poorly-recorded rock CDs where bass response falls like a brick below 100-125Hz. In these instances the processor nicely restores the missing low frequency content. True, it does sound a little unnatural, but in these cases “natural” was so bad that “unnatural” was actually a welcome improvement.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

18. Greg Bright

Greg Bright Second Unit

Gregory Bright
    What you're looking for was designed many years ago by a gentleman well respected in audio circles - Bob Carver. His first company, Phase Linear, had a product (Model 4000?) that did two things. First, it was an active noise reduction unit. Don't know exactly how it worked (does anybody really know how Mr. Carver's designs work?) Did wonders when I transfered some portable cassette recordings to reel-to-reel. But the best part was its downward expander. Don't know if it was a real frequency halver, but it put realistic bass into recordings where it needed to be but wasn't. I know it was made for the LP market. Killer unit. Wish I had one.

19. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

are you thinking of the phase linear 1000? autocorrelator kills about 10db of tape hiss, peak unlimiter adds about 4db of volume above user-set threashold, and downward expander reduces volume about 3db for quieter sections of the music. all-in-all, about 17db of noise reduction/dynamic range expansion. i used mine until about 7 years ago. i just might go get it out of the closet for when i listen to LPs.

[​IMG]

ag.

20. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

First of all......

Tony: the "WTF" part of my response was not directed at you personally or anybody in particular for that matter, because you never know whether or not a member could be one of those ultimate fighters. [​IMG]

Wayne,

In a case of a truly horrible recording I can see the use for such a device.

This thing vaguely reminds me of that Auto-Tune system many studios use now to fix the singer's voice. It was originally intended for fixing just small parts (like when during a recording session the singer messes up the very last note at the end of a seven minute long jam) but producers realized they could "fix" the entire song with it and literally make it note-for-note perfect (is this why so many new recordings sound so mechanical?). And, IMO it's indirectly the reason why we see so many airhead singers with great....physical attributes.....raking in the bucks but can't actually sing.

So this type of subject is kind of a sore point with me I guess.