What's new

What's the deal with TNT-HD? (1 Viewer)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Just about everything on this channel is in stretch mode. With the exception of some movies and miniseries (Salem's Lot springs to mind as something that was shown in actual widescreen) I mean, if you're going to stretch it... why bother? I can do that myself.

I tried watching their 5:00 rerun of Angel this evening. The episode (from the show's 5th season) was originally broadcast in widescreen. So why is TNT still stretching it? The thing should have looked fantastic but instead was unwatchable. I don't think its a problem with my cable system (Time Warner) because the TNT bug in the corner of the screen is still perfectly round. It's not stretched like the rest of the picture.

Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Ric

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
There's nothing to really enlighten. What you describe is what they are doing. They are taking the 4x3 broadcast, stretching it to fit 16x9 and then upconverting it. It's not true HD.

Bruce

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
It just doesn't make any sense to me. Are they broadcasting the wide screen versions of Angel on the regular TNT? I guess I'll have to take a look at it tomorrow. What a waste.

Ric

Eddy-C

Supporting Actor
No. Regular TNT crops the picture for Angel seasons 3, 4, and 5. Its horrible when one of the characters gets cut out of the picture during a group scene.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
The miniseries SALEMS LOT was in true HD, and this weeks broadcast of JOHN Q was propery formatted, as far as I could tell.

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
To contact TNT and complain & recommend they use OAR (and leave the decisions to stretch up to the viewer):

(404) 885-4488
Turner Network Television
100 Spear St. Suite 525
San Francisco, CA 94105
* address/phone provided by my local Oceanic Time/Warner cable company

TNT was just added to our local HD-digital lineup, and I was deeply disappointed in seeing the stretch. Made X-Files and everything in 4:3 unwatchable, dizzying and bizarre (Fox's head kept getting elongated, and eveyone had one really wide shoulder).

I called to complain, and to recommend showing all true 4:3 programs in 4:3, and everything in their original formats without manipulating the image. I told them I appreciate true HD programming when they show it, but I cannot and will not watch the distorted stretched programs.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
ER is in High Def everyday. I think it has less to do with TNT wanting to air the shows in full High Def, and what the studios are providing them. Warners provides the high def tapes for ER, whereas Fox does not for Angel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks