what's the deal with this rolling stones' four flicks at best buy?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by RobertW, Nov 9, 2003.

1. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

is this only going to be available at best buy, or are they just getting it ahead of everyone else? and is it a limited edition type release, or will it be available for some time?

2. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

3. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

think it's worth it? the madison square garden show appears to be the same as the hbo special broadcast earlier this year that i taped. but i'm a huge stones fan.

4. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

It seems to me that the other retailers are jealous and are whining about the fact that Best Buy will be selling the DVD set until next year. And they should be jealous and whining. One less item to be bought from their stores while Best Buy gets the sale.

I'm not a retailer so I don't give ratsass, the consumer doesn't really lose as far as I can tell, but correct me if I'm wrong. You either get it at Best Buy or order it from their site. No big woop.

I guess the bottom line to the other retailers is you can't always get what you waaant...

5. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    This is another tactic that HUGE and SEEMINGLY INVINCIBLE coporations can use to deter people from visiting smaller retailers and mom and pop shops. It's WAL*MART again, folks, trying to take out the competition. Yes, this is America with its free enterprise and all, but I'm sorry, I find this deplorable. The rich get richer, same as always, while smaller record retailers, who don't have the zillion-item inventory to fall back on, get eaten up. Best Buy can use whatever it wants to as a loss leader. Smaller outfits RELY on big sales of releases like this Stones DVD. It sucks, and I blame the Stones as much as the distributors and Best Buy for once again screwing the little guys. Shame on them all. Is that what we really want: every town in America having Wal*Mart and Best Buy and Staples and Home Depot and Rite Aid, but no remaining trace of the fun little shops with their knowledgeable owners and salespeople, their distinctive atmosphere and their friendly personalities? I'm tellin' you, folks - other than the obvious money you save by shopping with the "big boys," you're gonna miss the diversity one day and it'll be too late. End of lecture. Just pisses me off.

6. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Dick why are you so pissed? Are you one of the little guys, owner of or employee at a 'smaller record retailer'? I don't understand your anger if you aren't. Virgin stores, Walmart, Target, Wherehouse, Circuit City and a bunch of other stores that sell DVDs can hardly be considered 'mom and pop shops'. In my experience the real 'mom and pop shops' are generally more expensive than other stores anyway.

So the Stones signed a deal with Best Buy to temporarily sell their DVD set exclusively. And? Is the American economy going to collapse? Will all the other chains have to file for bankruptcy? Whatever stores you're complaining about that won't stock the DVD set come November 11th will still eventually end up stocking it next year after the contractual business with Best Buy expires. That is of course unless it's Virgin or whatever other store in the Yahoo article that had the snobby attitude of 'well they're going with Best Buy so we may or may not sell it when we get the chance, we don't want to confuse the consumers'.

More power to the Stones and Best Buy IHMO.

7. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    Here in Canada, this week's FUTURE SHOP flyer had it advertised. But then Best Buy stores are few and far between around here. I, for one will definitely be picking this one up.

8. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

The Mom and Pop stores are more expensive because the studios give discounts to chains like BB and WalMart that purchase a gazillion copies of dvds to spread around all of their stores, thereby allowing these large chains to get away with charging far less for their items than small Mom-and-Pop stores who must pay full price for their stock. The small stores are run out of business by the corporations. Indeed, there is nothing illegal about it, however in the end it kills small business which is the foundation of our economy. Like Dick said, the Rich get richer and screw everyone else.

9. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Gary - I certainly was one of the "Mom and Pop" retailers, back in 1974. Bought a small record store in a mall which had two anchor stores: Zayre (now long since gone) and Sears. This was when records retailed for $5.98 and $6.98. My wholesale costs were $4.32 and $4.99 respectively, as I recall, about a 28% markup if I sold albums at full retail, which I did not. Now, in 1974 there was a major recession going on, so sales of commodities was falling off. At that very time, Zayre decided to run a promotion: all Top-100 albums were on sale for $3.99. I kid you not. $3.99! I spoke to the manager and begged them not to do this - it was simply a loss leader for them, but it was killing me. I was told, typically, "Well, we have no control over what the company does..." yadda yadda. So, they were selling the 100 most popular albums for less than my wholesale cost!!! By January of the following year, after a disappointing Christmas, I made the decision to close. I have not been in retail since, nor have I any desire to be. But I do speak to music retailers often, and their consensus is they are being screwed by the "big boys," pure and simple (and of course internet downloads hurt them mightily, too). If all of that does not give me good reason to come down on the Stones, Best Buy and their like, I guess I don't understand your post.

10. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

So why didn't you buy from Zayre at the lower cost? You would have still had to mark them up higher than the Zayre retail, but your initial costs would be reduced and your prices would be much closer to Zayre.

My parents own a convenience store and we frequently buy stock items at Wal-Mart, Costco, or area supermarkets if their retail cost is cheaper than what area wholesalers are offering. Granted, our inventory is quite varied so if you're concentrating only in music perhaps this is impractical.

But I don't see why other retailers, at least the small mom-and-pop's who only carry a couple copies at a time anyway, can't just go to BB and buy a few copies of the Rolling Stones DVD for resale? Is the packaging inscribed "Best Buy exclusive" in some way that is unalterable?

11. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Future Shop is owned by Best Buy, thats why they are getting it too.

12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

don't just blame best-buy. the stones had to sign-off too....which is kinda weird.

i guess bb must have given them some kind of signing bonus? otherwise why would the band restrict the number of retailers that could sell their product...

13. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

14. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    As far as money goes, the Stones have been about the biggest cash whore in the music industry since their 1989 Steel Wheels tour and reunion.

Keep in mind that tickets for the concert had a face value of up to $350, with most of the secondary tickets going for $150 - very few seats under $100. And still, with that, there was corporate sponsorship, paid for by E-Trade. I remember a remote controlled inflatable blimp with the E-Trade logo being flown around the arena before each show, which I found offensive after paying that much for a ticket. In retrospect, I'm kind of surprised they didn't sell off sponsorship rights to individual songs. I could just picture an announcer's voice booming "Tonight's performance of Brown Sugar is brought to you by Dominos Sugar - find out why we taste so good!!"

Is the set worth it? I'm not sure. $30 for four discs seems like a good deal, but let's see how extensive these special features are. When they say that there are audio commentaries, is it five minutes here or there or full length? Are the documentary clips long or short? We already know that each of the concerts has been edited - for instance, the DVD of the HBO broadcast is missing five of the songs performed that night and seen on HBO. I find it strange that they're trying to sell me something that I was already able to watch at home for free (or at least at no additional expense), and their incentive to get me to pay for it is to give me less!

I think these kinds of practices should be outlawed. It's not so much competitive business as it is completely tipping the scale. This thing isn't supposed to hit other stores for four months - which is after the all powerful Christmas season. U2 did an exclusive with Best Buy, but the window was only for two weeks, which meant the "Elevation Live From Boston" DVD was on shelves in other stores plenty of time before Christmas. I wasn't thrilled with the concept on it, but it didn't seem as outrageous as this.

15. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

16. TedT

TedT Second Unit

17. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

18. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

From BestBuy.com:

Languages/Sound Eng/Dolby 5.1/PCM Stereo
    Screen Formats FS
    Documentaries include:

"Tip of the Tongue," is a never seen before documentary chronicling the conception and preparations for the innovative 3 show/3 venue concept from the recording studio in Paris to Toronto where the band prepares for their "Licks" World Tour.

"Licks Around the World" offers fans the opportunity to travel on the road with the Rolling Stones, from the tour's beginnings in the United States, through Japan, India, Europe and the United Kingdom, with bootleg tracks "Beast of Burden," "Bitch," "You Don't Have To Mean It," and many other hidden features.

Additional Features
    Bonus tracks include:

The Bootlegs

Paris Studio
    1. Well Well
    2. Extreme Western Grip

Circus Krone - June 8, 2003
    1. Can't Turn You Loose

Wiltern Theatre - November 4, 2003
    1. Beast of Burden
    2. You Don't Have To Mean It
    3. Rock Me Baby
    4. Bitch

Chapters
    January 18, 2003 - New York, MSG

1. Intro (including Dr. Dre Remix)
    2. Street Fighting Man
    3. If You Can't Rock Me
    4. Don't Stop
    5. Monkey Man
    6. Angie
    7. Let It Bleed
    8. Midnight Rambler
    9. Thru and Thru
    10. Happy
    11. You Got Me Rocking
    12. Can't You Hear Me Knockin'
    13. Honkey Tonk Women
    14. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
    15. It's Only Rock and Roll
    16. When The Whip Comes Down
    17. Brown Sugar
    18. Jumpin' Jack Flash

July 11, 2003 - Paris Olympia

1. Start Me Up
    2. Live With Me
    3. Neighbours
    4. Hand Of Fate
    5. No Expectations
    6. Worried About You
    7. Doo Doo Heartbreaker
    8. Stray Cat Blues
    9. Dance Part 1
    10. Everybody Needs Somebody To Love
    11. That's How Strong My Love Is
    12. Going To A Go Go
    13. The Nearness Of You
    14. Before They Make Me Run
    15. Love Train
    16. Respectable
    17. Honkey Tonk Women
    18. Brown Sugar
    19. Jumpin' Jack Flash

August 24, 2003 - London Twickenham

1. Intro (Neptunes/Sympathy Remix)
    2. Brown Sugar
    3. You Got Me Rocking
    4. Rocks Off
    5. Wild Horses
    6. Can't Always Get What You Want
    7. Paint It Black
    8. Tumblin' Dice
    9. Slipping Away
    10. Sympathy For The Devil
    11. Starfucker
    12. I Just Want To Make Love To You
    13. Street Fighting Man
    14. Gimme Shelter
    15. Honky Tonk Women
    16. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
    17. Jumpin' Jack Flash

19. Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai Supporting Actor

imagine in the future, we'll have to travel to different stores just to get cds/dvds from different artists. Big corporate stores will start signing exclusivity with artists and they'll be owned by the stores as much as they are by studios.

...wouldn't that be fun.

20. Christopher D

Christopher D Second Unit

I just noticed that this has been on sale in the UK for a while -- it is *substantially* more expensive there. So while you're grousing at Best Buy -- is it really worth $15-$20 to you?