What's new

Whats the deal with the MGM 90th Anniversery Terminator disc? (1 Viewer)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I was in Best Buy today picking up the original TMNT when I spotted a pile of Blus with some really cool, retro looking artwork - Hang 'Em High, Delta Force, Spaceballs and so on - and they had a copy of Terminator in there. Hey, I thought, I actually dont own a copy of that flick - and its only 8 bucks! What the hell - but then I thought I'd ask here, if anyone knew how good that edition was, if it was as loaded down with extras as (presumably) some of the editions out there, how was the AV and that sort of thing?

Or is this just a cheapy repackaging of a shit disc they have a huge pile of in the back room that they cant get rid of? Am I just pissing away 8 bucks?

(I couldn't find the cover online anywhere, but here's the Bull Durham in the same style. Terminator was red and had the naked T-800 arm on it.)

mbPQXe1Ee8UBxFaSi7dqf9w.jpg

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If it's the actual remastered Terminator disc the difference in picture quality is huge, fine detail is preserved, also contrast is much better, the original 2006 release was an Mpeg-2 encode, much lower bitrate too and the film grain was mostly scrubbed away, if this is the actual new release from 2013 then i'd pick it up at that price, check out some caps showing the new UK edition, it's your USA edition from 2013 versus the old 2006 release, notice how that 2006 release seems to be filmed in bluravision.

The remastered one should say on the back AVC-36MBPS and 50GB dual layer and package design 2013.

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=1564&disc2=1563&cap1=14784&cap2=14768&art=full&image=8&hd_multiID=120&action=1&lossless=#vergleich

An image of the front cover of the remastered USA edition. It's $10.98 delivered from Amazon.

The-Terminator-Remastered-Blu-ray-box-shot.jpg

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Well, a quick glance at the extras on the '13 disc seem to line up with what I remember from the back of the box - so that's probably the one I saw. The down side is, in my digging around to find out more about the disc, I learned that the awesome funky retro cover artwork is really just a piece of cardboard in front of the actual artwork. Pity, the cool hand was the whole reason for the almost impulse buy.

I shall have to consider this. . . .

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For what it's worth, I've had both the 2006 and 2013 discs and the extras are the same (carried over from the DVD).

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
it's been 90 years since THE TERMINATOR??? Wow, the 2020s, 2030s, 2040s, 2050s, and 2060s just went by in a flash, didn't they?

Oh, pardon me, I've got a meeting with some senior citizen named John Connor. He claims to have an interesting story to tell about how he secretly thwarted an attempt by robots to take over the world. I guess I'll have to humor the old coot.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
The easiest giveaway that it's the newest version is the package will have a DTS logo on it, the old one won't.

OTOH those "90th MGM stick-on-cover" releases all have complete A/V specs clearly marked on the inserts, a model I wish all BDs would follow (i.e. not hidden in some squashed microscopic text etc. if there at all).

Bear in mind this has a teal wash compared to previous releases. I love teal, but not on my movies; still, the PQ and SQ are much improved so teal it is, would be worse if it was pink...

andySu

Senior HTF Member
"I'll be Milking you back"

Good god, more of the same thing huh?

I don't know if I like to buy the bluray, keep the DVD box set or buy the THX laserdisc original mono mix and just enjoy the film.

Prices bit iffy at moment. Well there's plenty of them.

"I'll be back".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks