whats the deal with the bose floorspeakers?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by andre-k, May 31, 2003.

1. andre-k

andre-k Agent

I noticed that not many people have or talk about the bose lineups. I am in the market to get new floorspeakers and I was wondering how the bose 701 floorspeakers compared to others such as the klipsch synergies or the athenas. Are bose just overated?

2. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

the general opinion on this forum is that Bose is overpriced junk, remember that when you buy them, you are also paying for the huge amount of advertising they do
    you can get better sounding speakers for half the price of bose

I personaly am not up on the new speaker models because I really like my old klipsch chorus II's and have not been speaker shopping in years

3. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

I'll just chime in about Bose, since I'm an owner of a acoustimass 5 set and all.

they aren't that great, they are lacking speakers. especially the new cube models where they have reduced the size of the speakers. I just use mine as computer speakers. you should really look elsewhere for a good set of speakers.

I use the klipsch reference series 3 mark II line and am always glad to recocmend to people to go audition klipsch speakers, do try before buying though becuase the klipsch sound is not for everyone.

4. terence

terence Supporting Actor

5. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

I was trying to be polite[​IMG]

6. terence

terence Supporting Actor

7. ChristopherBer

ChristopherBer Stunt Coordinator

The Bose 701 got good bass extension but overall it's not that great.

8. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I might get flamed by the Klipsch people, but I don't like klipsch either. They have their sound, but they're just loud and irritating as hell. Sure, they are WAAAAAY better than Bose, but there are still better speakers out there from B&W, Paradigm, Rega, Dynaudio, Revel and I can go on forever.

And of course in response to that, Eric put it very politely. I will put it a little bit more bluntly. They are horrible. They absolutely reek. Dont waste your time, Bose is the most blatant fraud going. Sure, they're not killing people like cigarettes or anything, but they're ripping people off SOOO bad. [​IMG]

Anyway, on a more positive not, DO go listen to as many speakers as you can at specialty dealers. Bring your own music that you are familiar with. Bring a good variety, from jazz, to classical, to rock, to rap, and get a really good feel as to what you're buying. People have very different tastes in speakers, so buy what's right for YOU.

And I know some people just half-defend bose by saying that they are right for some people, but I don't beleive that for a moment. It's like buying a Geo Metro for 80 grand over say a mercedes, or a BMW or a lexus. Sure, a geo metro is right for lots of people, but not for the hideously inflated price when for HALF the price you could get a FAR better product. That's what bose is. You can use the wine metaphor, the car metaphor or whatever. Any way you spin it they are a $400 box of franzia or an 80K geo metro. Money well-spent? I don't even think Ari Fleischer could spin THAT one.

I tell ya, if I ever run for President, I want Bose to run my campaign.

Allright... how much other ranting can I fit into this post. [​IMG]

9. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

Please Andre, do a thread search. It's for your own good. Bose is up there with religion, politics, abortion, the death penalty, flag burning amendments, school prayer, and the Clintons as a topic you do NOT want to get started.

Suffice to say, find another brand of speaker. [​IMG]

10. Bobpaul

Bobpaul Agent

Hi:

I want to put in my 2c worth here.

The bottomline is that a company that does not post speaker specifications on their prducts anywhere (not even the manual of my cosmetically perfect VCS10 center) is a company not to be trusted.

"Better sound through engineering" is just a gimmick they use. Would you buy a car without knowing its hps or 0-60, or fuel mileage?

I think that Bose has something ugly to hide, something that would put their pretty speakers in the same league as Radio Shack's.

BTW i used to live at a stick's throw from their factory in Framingham, MA and a technician/engineer couple working there were my neighbours. Boy did they have some good stories abour the "quality" part.

Hey, i guess the home audio magazines could make a lot of dough by threatening Bose with a "better sound like it" review, which i am sure they do.

But, then there are those that remember granny's speakers mounted on metal pedestals.

Sorry guys if i went overboard here, but i am a recovered infommercial boseoholic [​IMG]

Bob

11. terence

terence Supporting Actor

Hey guys here is a fun fact!

Did you know that Bose will not allow any vendor who sales their products that have been returned as open box products. The sales rep for Bose said that.............

"It would hurt their image as a HIGH END speaker company, IMAGE is everything to Bose. We can't afford our stuff to be sold as open box along with every other competitor, it just does not look right. We have the vendors ship all open products back to Bose so they can re-package them and shipped them back out to the stores like new."

How bout them apples! Man this company is a real piece of work oh another thing this same sales rep was telling a customer that the 321 system will smoke some 5.1 set-ups out there. Give me vulcan break! This guy must have smoked a BAD rock if he really believes this crap! I told him if that was the case movie theaters would use just 3 speakers + 1. I think the brain washing starts waaaaaay before the ads.

12. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

13. terence

terence Supporting Actor

yeah that sucks but they probably inspect them before they do and if they look untouched out they go.

14. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

15. terence

terence Supporting Actor

16. David Cohen

David Cohen Agent

Opinions are one thing....but we must get our facts straight, especially when thay are presented as "I heard it from some one".
    Bose does indeed prohibit authorized dealers from reselling used products at a discount. This is due to the "unilateral pricing policy" concerning discounted sales. I have worked for Bose retailers in the past and we could have sold the returns if we wanted to, but would have had to sell them at full price. It's easier for the dealers to ship them back.
    What happens next is that these returns are repaired/refurbished/repackaged and sent to the Bose factory outlet stores for resale at discounted prices. The factory plainly labels these as refurbished and they are the only places authorized to sell any Bose products at discount.
    I am not going to get into a discussion defending their sound or marketing. They make a lot of money and do not need to make a few more bucks by reselling used stuff as new.

17. terence

terence Supporting Actor

18. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

19. GalenC

GalenC Auditioning

Bose only generally allows open-box sales on older, discontinued product. Current models have to be returned due to their unilateral pricing policies.

I listened to the Klipsch Synergies, athena Auditions, and JBL studio. Ended up buying the athena system and have been happy with it so far. Currently using a JBL sub with it.

Galen

20. Paul Seyfarth

Paul Seyfarth Stunt Coordinator

Here is an email I got from bose after I asked them a couple questions.

"We believe that our products are quite
    competitively priced, especially when you compare the quality of our products
    and those offered by our competition that are priced equal to or higher than our
    own."