What's new

Whats the deal with "SUVs" (1 Viewer)

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
If you are driving a small car and can't see around or in-front of SUVs...you're driving too close. Why do you feel the need to pass them? Just slow down. Back off. Problem solved.
(By the way, I drive a little '90 Toyota Camry. I don't mind big trucks/vans/SUVs. I drive in Bay Area traffic everyday too. I used to drive in really bad LA traffic. I want to get a nice truck or preferably a Hummer one day. I'm sick and tired of people picking on SUVs! I find SUV drivers to be more curteous on the road than those who drive Honda Civics. SUVs yield to me, "econo cars" dart in and out and get in everybody's way. :angry: )

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
To get back on topic - the reason SUVs are so expensive is that there is a HUGE profit margin built in. You do NOT get what you pay for when you buy an SUV. Case in point: Two years ago I bought a loaded Audi A4 2.8. Leather seats, sporty, great motor, sport suspension wood panels (not plastawood) in the interior, power seats, "prestige" brand, incredible styling, AWD (which is great in the rain and snow), safety features out the gazoo, etc. etc. etc. Basically a loaded small luxury German sports sedan. My girlfriend's roommate a few months later bought an Eddie Bauer Ford Explorer. It has a lot of similar refinements as the Audi, at least "on paper". Power seats and leather at least. I'd hardly call Ford a "prestige brand" though. And I won't look for the figured wood or an especially elegant interior. The Explorer had a sticker price over $5000 higher than my A4's sticker price. Look at the two sitting next to each other. Which looks nicer? Open the doors and hood and close them, which feel more solid when you close them? Check the body seams, which has better build quality? Sit in the Explorer, take it for a drive. Then sit in my Audi and take it for a drive. Which feels nicer and is more pleasant to drive on road? Drive both int he rain. Which feels more planted and confidence inspiring? Which dealer gives you better service during and after the sale, the FOrd or Audi dealer? A dramatic example of SUV profit margin IMO. :D BTW she's afraid to drive it in just a little snow, don't even think about off-road. I really have no idea why she got it except that it's trendy and had a lot of interior space (though interior room is comparable to a nice wagon like the exceptional Subaru Outback).
Thanks Ron for the explanation, I was curious also when I read that quote. I went from an Isuzu 4x4 Amigo to an Audi A4 and the A4 is MUCH more fun to drive.
From the sound of it I wouldn't be very happy in your truck. I always found speedbumps to be excruciating in my Amigo and if you're going over them without slowing down in yours then I'm sure my head would hit the ceiling from all the bumping. If you like a stiff suspension then any sporty car will KILL your SUV for roadfeel, and not bust your kidneys over every bump.
However, I do miss the off-roading abaility of the Amigo. I took that badboy off road pretty seriously on a few occasions and man was that fun. Doing my best impression of the "Rat Patrol" with the top off and friends in the seats at the Outer Banks beaches sure was fun! :) Jumping curbs between parking lots is great, I did do that a few times. Riding high up was kind of fun for a while.
[environmentalists] are thinking what they have always thought about everything: "The sky is falling."
Now that's not a very nice thing to write. Nor is it accurate, but an insulting broad generalization, and borderline political to boot! If I were still a mod...... :)
I'm not big on truck-based SUVs for general everyday driving, they are bumpy and uncomfortable, have poor brakes, are prone to rollover, are an extremely poor value for dollar. However, for offroading they kick ass, man did I have fun with my Amigo. They also are great for towing, and have other legitimate uses.
What makes me happy about SUVs is the trend to make unibody car based SUVs. Makes perfect sense, as they can be lighter, better handling, more comfortable, cheaper to make (though the sticker sure won't go down ;)), safer. Sure they won't go off road but how many SUV owners take their vehicles off-road anyway? Car based SUVs are where it's at.

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
well, not all SUVs are expensive, I just bought my Saturn VUE for $15,975. Gets 24/29 MPG. Has power windows, locks, mirrors, cd-player w/6 spkrs, sunroof and sport alloys. manual trans makes it fun to drive as well.
Of course, some would argue it isn't a true SUV, but it has the utility I like in a SUV which is
1) room to haul boxes and kids soccer stuff
2) sit up higher than a car
3) the go over curbs and speed bumps issue that some one else brought up!
4) they look cooler than a sedan (unless you get into the E430 or other super expensive sedan :))

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Actually, Porche is owned by VW (who also owns Audi and I think Bentley).
I am fairly sure that this is not true. According to their website Porsche bcame publicly traded in the early 70s and is not owned by any other corporation (although it may well be true that VW or someother corp has a minority stake)

I couldn't find anything that clearly stated the case one way or the other however.

Kolya

Stunt Coordinator
They handle better than cars, at least for me.
Try driving a sporty car (miata/mr2/rsx/celica/3series/TT/etc) up Rt 1 sometime. If that doesn't change your mind, nothing will. Trucks have their place, but handling is not one of them.
Personally, when I need a vehicle with extra space and four-wheel drive, I plan to get a station wagon from volvo/VW/Audi, because they handle and drive virtually the same as their sedan counterparts.
The main reason I'll never buy a SUV is that I don't feel safe driving one. I don't feel safe driving a vehicle that can't out-accelerate/brake/handle the vehicles around it (BMW X5 excepted :D ). In the 12 years I've been driving, I've covered about 250,000 freeway miles. In that time, I've had to avoid accidents at freeway speeds three times. In all three cases, I honestly don't think I would have been able to avoid the accident if I had not been driving a light sports car.

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor
I'm not big on truck-based SUVs for general everyday driving, they are bumpy and uncomfortable, have poor brakes, are prone to rollover, are an extremely poor value for dollar.
Philip my friend. I know we disagree here so allow me to explain.

My 2000 Tahoe is NOT prone to rollover and rides better than my co-workers Mercedes. It drives like a car with effortless ease. I negotiated the price on mine down to $35,000.00 and I seriously doubt that you could find another vehicle with as much interior room, features and the ability to tow a large boat or trailer for any less.

Obi has rode in it down to Los Angeles and he can tell you of the vehicles comfort.

Did I mention that 19mpg is not a problem? 17 in the city.

BTW: The brakes are not the best but by no means are they poor.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I love my 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE :)
I will never own another car... just more trucks/SUV's for me...my wife wants one too (Nissan Frontier)...and wants to trade her new Mustang in on it...
IMHO: All you Truck/SUV's bashers are just wasting your time...you are not going to convert us - ever. :)

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
If you are driving a small car and can't see around or in-front of SUVs...you're driving too close. Why do you feel the need to pass them? Just slow down. Back off. Problem solved.
I have to disagree here. In highway driving you have the option to back off, but when driving in a city that option rapidly disappears. It's in congested driving situations that the hugeness of an SUV becomes a big visibility problem.

Another thing I have noticed in reading this thread is that most of the people here are talking about what I would refer to as mid-sized SUVs (though even those are still really big). What really steams me is seeing one person driving around in an Excursion or a Navigator or a Humvee.

I'm not trying to change every SUV owner's mind, and I don't think anyone here is doing that. But driving a vehicle like an SUV puts an increased level of responsibility on the driver that many SUV drivers are unaware of. These vehicles simply behave differently than a car. On the whole SUVs accellerate slower, brake slower, are more prone to flipping, and have larger blind spots. Their headlights blind smaller cars in front, and their high frames crush smaller cars in accidents. A person who climbs in an SUV and drives it just like a car is behaving rather recklessly. True, the driver may not realize that they need to change their driving styles, but that ignorance won't help the poor individual who gets rearended by giant truck which slams on the brakes a second too slow.

As with all things in life, think before you act. Understand your responsibility, and try to get along with your neighbor.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
This has got to be a joke, right? Have you ever driven an even mildly sporty car?
No Joke and yes I have driven Audi, Lexus and BMW. IMO, BMW's feel and handle terrible, the other two were OK. Of course it has been about 5 years since I drove the BMW. Maybe because I have been behind the wheel of an SUV or Turck my whole driving live I am used to them. I do not like the way sports cars handle.
Just like some say SUV's are over priced, so are Lexus, BMW, Merced's, Jag's and all those others. They are just as over priced as SUV's.
Bottom line here is everyone has differnt tastes and manufactures produce cars/trucks/SUV's to fit those tastes. Buy what you like, I do.
To quote a famous criminal with a little addage.
Can't we all just get along on the highway?
Peace Out~:D

kevin_tomb

Stunt Coordinator
IMHO: All you Truck/SUV's bashers are just wasting your time...you are not going to convert us - ever.
Didnt see anyone trying to convert anyone....I think most people have driven SUVs and cars and can tell the strengths and weaknesses of both. BTW thats what my uncle joe said in the late seventies about his cadillac coupe deville....damn was he eating his words....:) Dudes instead of prone to rollover how about much easier to rollover in a emergency maneuver....All the SUVs ive owned felt great driving and handling until something made me have to swerve or react quickly. Trust me I can make my FORD EXPLORER roll in a heartbeat if so inclined....my NEON would take some real effort or have to flip it on a steep embankment. HEY isnt there a reason race cars are "LOW".
Im not offended by peoples bad reactions to SUVs..like I said I own a car and a SUV. But on the other hand I can easily acknowledge all the inherent problems with them....im not blinded by the "FAD" I think its the attitude by SUV owners that causing most of the problems. JUST ADMIT the real reason you bought one and quit trying to say they are as good as any car etc....THEY ARENT !!! They are good for offroading, towing large trailers and some other sililar tasks...they arent a perfect replacement for a car. Why do all SUV owners say it "rides as good as a car".....??.....cause a car is the pinnacle of automotive engineering. By making a SUV sturdy and having 4WD you are diminishing all the traits that make a good automobile such as relatively light weight for quick handling and short stopping disances, Solid axles are great for offroading but hurt ride by adding huge amounts of "UNSPRUNG" weight bouncing around under the springs.
Just admit to yourselves SUVs are overpriced and most people are just on the SUV fad bandwagon. I know my explorer is overpriced and my NEON could beat it in so many ways its funny....
1.....NEON...$12500 dollars Explorer $35000 dollars
2,..neon 32 mpg 0-60 about 8 seconds...ride very firm but tolerable
EXPLORER 14 MPG 0-60 about 10 seconds ..ride sorta firm and bouncy depending on road ,,steering horrible

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
I worked independently for the past decade and took the train to work most of the time. So the wife got into the SUV thing with an Expedition. In the end, I'm so happy it was a lease and I could simply give it back. We replaced it with a 2wd Toyota Highlander which we bought. As a hybrid, it is much more tolerable in every way.

I no longer work independently, and drive to work now using my old Taurus wagon station car. If I could replace it, I would go back to a sports car in a heartbeat. In younger days, I worked my way through a Mustang and 2 MG's to a 912 Porsche before I sold it to go to school, get married... well you know.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
steering horrible
Fords have always suffered this problem as far back as I can remember. My dads old Bronco II was terrible.
Yet the 99' F150 4x4 I had for awhile handled excellently. I think Ford makes great trucks and that's it.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I have a friend with 4 kids and a wife that packs 10 times as much as they need everywhere they go. She's also a big Ford brand loyalist. Recently they decided to replace their Mercury Villager with a Suburban or Excursion to get more room. They drove the Excursion and HATED it. It drove TERRIBLE. They ended up with a 2 wheel drive Suburban. Much like the original Suburban it's functionally a HUGE station wagon. They absolutely love the suburban BTW. I haven't been in it yet, but since Chevy's made those things for so many years I've got to think that they do a good job.
I used to carpool with a guy who drove an Expedition. Damn, that was the worst riding thing I've ever been in. I literally would get carsick (not to the point of vomiting, but very uneasy stomache) every single time he drove it to work. When the lease was up he was glad to hand it in.
Just a little recent Ford experience.... :)
I think their pickups are a lot better than their SUVs. I had a friend who had a '78 F150 that was a great truck.
I will never own another car... just more trucks/SUV's for me...my wife wants one too (Nissan Frontier)...and wants to trade her new Mustang in on it...
IMHO: All you Truck/SUV's bashers are just wasting your time...you are not going to convert us - ever.
Funny, I would have written the exact same thing about 6 years ago when I was so happy with my Amigo. I loved sitting up high, going offroad (I still miss that), the torquey feel of the truck engine, the storage space, etc. etc. etc. I loved my truck and used it, too! But now I'm much happier with my car. Someday I'd like to have a beater SUV to go off-roading with (when and if the current trend ends I'll have lots to choose from), but for now I'll take a sports sedan over the truck.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
What really steams me is seeing one person driving around in an Excursion or a Navigator or a Humvee.
The Navigator is significantly smaller than the Excursion or Humvee. It is a sister vehicle to the Expedition, albeit one of those types of sisters who tends to wear a bit too much make-up and jewelry, IMHO. :)
Regards,

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I understand completely Philip. I know that SUV's have a huge profit margin. My point was that all these luxury cars do to, so why do some complain about the mark-up on SUV's and not on Luxury cars. An SUV priced at $40,000 or a BMW at $40,000. With the SUV your paying more for the "fad", "trend" or whatever. With the luxury car your paying more for the "status symbol" or the "logo" on the hood.
Luxury cars/sports cars fall into the same catagory as SUV's, for the most part it's all about status and the look what I can afford. The two go hand in hand.
But, with the $40,000 you get alot more SUV then you do sports car. SUV's are not over priced when compared to the BMW. Because your spending $10,000 just for that blue and white checkered logo on the hood of a BMW.
Fully loaded mini-vans are running $30,000+. That is exactly what my company paid for my fully loaded Dodge Durango 4x4, $29,560. Overpriced SUV you say?

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Please people :) ...it's a Hummer. A "Humvee" is the nickname given to the military HMMWV (High Mobility Multi-purpose Wheeled Vehicle). The "Hummer" is the civilian version. There are some major differences between the two (the seats and dash being only minor changes).
The only true "SUV." And what a sweet "SUV" it is! :D

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Fully loaded mini-vans are running $30,000+. That is exactly what my company paid for my fully loaded Dodge Durango 4x4, $29,560. Overpriced SUV you say?
Yes. The Dodge is loaded with circa 1940 technology like a solid rear axel and leaf spring suspension, with a primative low engineering costs body-on-frame technology (which is extremely inefficient - the exterior of both vehicles is comparable, but interior volume is much much larger on the minivan). The Dodge also features a similarly antiquated 4x4 system that will tear up the tires on dry roads. (Note: these older technologies are still great for rugged off road use. However, the vast majory of SUV don't go any further off road than a gravel driveway.:)) The minivan has independant suspension, unibody construction, and other recent advances. If it has all wheel drive it is a modern system which works well on all surfaces.
It seems Ron-P that you have an issue with luxury vehicles prices, and that's fine. Please review my above post comparing my Audi A4 2.8 with my girlfriend's roommate's Explorer. I agree that many "prestige" vehicle prices are inflated, however, many are not, and you get a hell of a lot more than a nice looking logo much of the time. As I types in another thread (?) I looked at the WV Passat 4motion V6 closely before choosing my similar A4.
I just have to say for the record for an SUV enthusiast to decry that luxury cars are overpriced is very akin to the proverbial pot calling the kettle black. :)
If you really think that the high profit margin of SUVs is a myth, Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks