whats the deal with Ronin?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Daman, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Saw the movie yesterday again and though its a great movie i really did not like the way the most important question of whats in the case is left hanging??? Any reason why the director did that??????????????

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

The case is what Hitchcock called a McGuffin; what's inside it is really not important. The important factor is that people will kill for it.

Sometimes the McGuffin is named and described. In a movie like Ronin, though, where what's inside isn't in and of itself useful to the characters (except that they can get money for it) or dangerous (except that people will try to kill them for it), it can be left vague, especially in as relatively abstract exercise as this one, where the "sides" aren't explicitly named.

3. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Its been awhile since Ive seen it, but there is a hint.

As the film is ending you can hear someone say on the radio that all the years of hostility between the Catholics and Protestants have finally ended.

I think what was in the case had something to do with it.

4. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Thanks Jason, I get the point, and probably leaving out what was in the box makes the ending all the more intruiging too [​IMG]
    Jon yes i remember the radio message at the end.. it also says something about Irish civil war ending with it..it also had to do with their leader being captured by Robert De Niro which was his actual aim in the whole fiasco proably.Very interesting movie all in all and thanks for your replies [​IMG]
    Daman

5. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

You have to see the alternate ending on the DVD. it puts an interesting twist to what happens to one of the characters. I love the movie Ronin and oddly John Frankenheimer did a good job putting the movie together even though some of his movies I don't like and think are overrated (Seconds) while others I think are hack jobes (Island of Dr. Moreau which would have been left in better hands if they didn't fire the original director).

Be Seeing You,
    David Blackwell

6. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

If what's in the case can solve the Irish conflict, what's the Russian connection ? Been a while since I saw the movie, but weren't the Russians wanting to buy it ?

Great car chase !

7. david stark

david stark Second Unit

What was actually in the case had nothing to do with the end of the conflict. It was the capture/killing of Shamus who was some sort of rebel from the IRA that allowed the peace process to continue. The fact that Shamus wanted the case for his own ends was incidental.

8. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

I assume that if Seamus did get the case, then he would have used whatever was inside it to jeopardize the peace process.

It might have been a tactical nuke. But I think it was Marsellus Wallace's soul.

9. Phil Carter

Phil Carter Second Unit

Phil
    It was a pair of ice skates, of course. Magical ice skates. This is why Mikhi wanted them so badly, so he could give them to Natacha.

I don't see what's so difficult to figure out about this. [​IMG]

Seriously, though, I agree with Jason Seaver that the case is just a McGuffin, much like the hotly-contested briefcase in "Pulp Fiction".

cheers,
    Phil

10. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

Sam: "What’s in the case?"
    Deirdre: "Something where paying you for."

Because the movie is not about the case, it’s about the people trying to get the case. It’s not really an important question like: What is rosebud? or Who is Keyser Söze I also got the impression the piece between the Catholics and Protestants was because of Seamus being dead.

But I did speculate about this for a while and I think there some kind of secret government documents that the Irish or the Russians can use to there benefit. In this day and age information is everything.

11. BrianBo

BrianBo Stunt Coordinator

Briefcase aside, this is one of the most intelligent action movies ever made.