What's the Deal With Phantoms being non-anamorphic?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dalton, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Hi Everybody,
    I picked up Phantoms for $7 at Walmart the other day and when i get it home and pop it in my dvd player it is non-anamorphic. What's the deal? The back of the case clearly says enhanced for widescreen. It's not a hardware problem because all of my other anamorphic discs play fine on my widescreen set. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks,
    Dalton

2. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Its a dimension (disney) title, and an old one at that. Disney didnt get on the anamorphic bandwagon until late in the game. I would say what you've got there is a non-anamorphic disc. Widescreen reviews website lists it as non-anamorphic. Must be mislabled on the box.

3. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

"Affleck was da' bomb in Phantoms yo!" [​IMG]

4. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

Dimension needs to release a Collector's Series edition of Phantoms since Ben Affleck was da bomb in it. (The joke never gets old.)

Also, Buena Vista is known for claiming early DVD releases to be anamorphic when they're clearly non-anamorphic due to the fact they just "re-designed" the cover art (to remove that ugly Widescreen banner).

5. Chucky P

Chucky P Supporting Actor

Charles Paulsen
    I also love Kevin Smith, on the Mallrats commentary track, introducing Ben as "Phantoms Ben Affleck".

6. Travis_W

Travis_W Supporting Actor

Kevin Smith has made another line stick. Anyway, I have the studio's edition of Judge Dredd and it states anamorphic enhanced but is not and it's 2.35:1. Phantoms came out around the same time frame of their Faculty disc and that was non-anamorphic as well. I'd say they're putting it on there by default but we all know Disney is getting inconsistent with OAR.

7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Those must be newly printed covers for Phantoms and Judge Dredd. The original ones didn't say "anamorphic". At the time those discs were released, I don't think anyone at Buena Vista even knew the term existed. [​IMG]

M.

8. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Thanks for the replies guys. I figured it had been mislabled. It wouldn't be a big deal but i wouldn't have bought it if i had known. I feel i was "duped". But hey, it's only $7. And after all "Affleck was da Bomb in Phantoms Yo!"