What's the deal with New Release pricing???

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Johnny V, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Johnny V

Johnny V Agent

Dec 18, 2001
    I was under the impression that you could always get New Releases at BestBuy, Circuit City, etc. pretty cheap the first week they were released. I don't buy that many DVD's so when I do it's usually of the "Blockbuster" variety (SW, The Matrix movies, Terminator, etc.) and I usually get them on release week for ~$15 before they eventually go back up to $20+. However, I had eagerly been waiting for "Capturing the Friedman's" on DVD since I never got a chance to see it in the theater, and was surprised to find that last week when it hit the shelves it was $24.95. OK, no big deal, I figured maybe because it was not a very mainstream movie that they were going to charge full price. Except that now in this weeks flyer, BestBuy has it priced @ $17.95 [​IMG]. So it appears as though smaller movies have the opposite price fluctuations.

So, also in this weeks fliers I see Lost in Translation, and American Spledor, both released this week for $19.99, instead of a "discounted" price. I'm wondering if I should wait and see if the price drops next week as was the case with CtF's?

Anyone else notice these sort of pricing trends with these kind of flicks?
  2. Reagan

Reagan Supporting Actor

Aug 23, 2002
    Yes, I was similarly shocked by Alice in Wonderland starting at $19.99 there.

I hope the good times aren't coming to an end.

3. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Apr 24, 1999
  4. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

Jun 13, 1999
    The sale prices vary every week, and you really need to check the ads to see what's on sale. Lots of times there will be titles I would think BB would feature on sale, and they don't and the other times they surprise me by what new releases they do include. And if the title is not advertised, it is full-price the first week, no matter whether it is a new release or not.

Generally speaking though, IF the title is advertised as a new release, that it will probably be the lowest price you'll see on it there until the studio drops the price. The "Capturing the Friedmans" example is the first time I can remember a title not being advertised on new release week, and then sunsequently low-balled the following week.

Makes me think that the studio perhaps missed the deadline to be included in BB's sale flyer (the studios do have to pay for and book those ads) so they probably just stuck it into the following weekly ad.
  5. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Jan 27, 2003
    I've always kept tabs on pre-releases on Amazon, and it always amazes me how they raise the price BEFORE the DVD is even released!!!

Example: If I pre-order Police Academy SE (from Amazon) today, it will cost me $13.98 and if you pre-order it in March, it will probably cost you like $16.98. We'll both get the DVD shipped to us on April 6th, yet I'll be charged 3 less dollars on my credit card. [​IMG] - That's too freaky!

So why do people who pre-ordered it earlier than those who pre-order latter get a better price? Does it have to do with inventory?

Oh well, What are you going to do...Just suck it up on those you've been snagged on and just think about the other DVD's that you've gotten better deals on.