What's new

What's the deal with monster cables? (1 Viewer)

Jim_Stu

Stunt Coordinator
Cables & etc..

There is a certain minimum level of cable that will

do 90% of the job. Its kind of like wrist watches: Within

the US (WWV coverage), the Junghans RC at $200.00 is much

more accurate than a Rolex at 20 times the price. However,

there are no watches costing less than $50.00 that can

come close to the 1 second/1K year accuracy of the radio

corrected Junghans, or the 1 second/1 year Rolex.

Monster is very good at making the cable that does 90% of

the job. You have to spend much more to beat it. However,

if you look carefully, you can also spend much less to

equal its quality.

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Jacques,

You are misninformed on product margins. Keep in mind that you are talking about gross margins (when you get them accurate) and that audio retailers typically have high overhead. Regards.

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
I have to agree with most of the people here. I did have Monsters, and still do. I have been getting just the Gold series at Rat-Shack. I haven't heard a diffrence. But, try it for your self. Don't let us push you one way or the other. Half the fun of haveing this adi...ummm hobby is the playing around with the setting.

Mark_E_Smith

Second Unit
I recently went to a BB store and was talking about interconnect cables for the DD on my DVD the guy said that the Monster DD coxal cable improveed the "highs" on the sound system, I said does it re incode the DIGITAL signal!!
From my years of high end audio we found
1 Fine strand large size speaker cable is a must.
2 Fine strand decent size interconnect cables real good ideal itsy bitsy wire should be avoided at all cost.
3 Lamp cord is fine for most < 100watt speakers with runs under 25 ft.
I dont know about video signals but I would think laws of physics still apply but with respect for some sheilding.
We tried making rca cables out of rg6 with disaterous results, we lost alot of highs and mudded the bass but this was a run of 75 ft. We found some stranded coxal and this worked pretty well.
It all came down to a fine stranded wire seemed to transmit highs and ambiances MUCH better.
So I generally dont buy the super expensive cables, I would say build your own or the rat shack are most likely ok. but $60 cables for a VCR, you got to be kidding. Digital is a different world, on, off, wright, wrong, drop out, no drop out!!! Most likely any cable will do. Just my 2 cents on my pet peve subject. :D

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
the guy said that the Monster DD coxal cable improveed the "highs" on the sound system
(For the people who have not studied digital electronics, this is Laugh Out Loud silly. It's like saying a printer cable can re-format and correct the grammer of your term paper as you print it.)

Chip E

Screenwriter
" Again, the Monster cables are made well, though I occasionally encounter a tight connector"
Ahhh, the Monster Death Grip ;) ...know it well.. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks