What's new

What's The Deal With Mill Creek? (1 Viewer)

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
Does this company only exist to re-release series that are already out on DVD? Have they ever released a show,that was never on DVD before?

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Why so hard on Mill Creek? The "deal", as you put it, is both: Mill Creek will release cheaper releases of previously issued content for the more budget minded consumer, but will also put out stuff that most mainstream studios either won't touch or choose not to take a potential bath on.

All things considered, Mill Creek does a pretty good job, IMHO. Their Victory at Sea release is superior to the NBC/History Channel release, for example, since it's closer to the original broadcast.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
Thanks to Mill Creek, we have the complete series of The Commish, Hunter and Renegade. so lay off Mill Creek please.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by cajunhillbilly

Thanks to Mill Creek, we have the complete series of The Commish, Hunter and Renegade. so lay off Mill Creek please.

Plus reissues of Dungeons and Dragons, Defenders of the Earth, She-Ra and soon He-Man, all of which were released by BCI Eclipse, but once BCI went out of business, Mill Creek got them back out so people who do want them can get them.

Again, I wonder why the negativity on Mill Creek,

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Thanks to Mill Creek, we also have a substantial number of unreleased OZZIE & HARRIET episodes of good quality, and a big improvement over the crappy public domain releases and cut-up syndication prints from Sony.

We also have an almost-complete release of the entire series of the critically-acclaimed WISEGUY thanks to Mill Creek. The biggest caveat with that release wasn't Mill Creek's fault--Cannell's company failed to provide them with one of the storylines due to high music-clearance costs, so they couldn't make it a complete series set. They released what Cannell gave them.

My only (minor) complaint about Mill Creek is the cheap way they put their discs stacked in paper sleeves on top of each other in the packaging, but considering they seem to be passing the savings onto the consumer with extremely affordable retail prices, it's worth it.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
They released The Adventures of Robin Hood starring Richard Greene in Region 1 both as individual season sets (the series lasted 4 seasons) and as a complete series set. Sure, the video and audio quality wasn't the greatest and the packaging is rather cheap, but it's the only company to offer any type of complete series release for the show in Region 1 that I know of.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I know of Mill Creek because of their awesome DVDs of the "Ernest" movies. They often bundle several titles together in a dirt-cheap package, and have even issued anamorphic widescreen DVDs of Ernest Goes to Jail and Ernest Scared Stupid, whereas Disney's existing DVDs were fullscreen. They also released the complete series of Hey Vern, It's Ernest!, which was never previously available.

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
Originally Posted by MattPeriolat Again, I wonder why the negativity on Mill Creek,

It's just that every time I read news about a release from Mill Creek,it's a reissue of a series that is already out on DVD. Instead of rereleasing all these shows,they could put out something new.Like when they rerelease all the game shows that BCI put out,they should have released the ones that BCI planned on releasing,but never: Tatle Tales,The Best of Match Game Volume 2, Hollywood Squares and The Dating Game.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Stephen Wight

It's just that every time I read news about a release from Mill Creek,it's a reissue of a series that is already out on DVD. Instead of rereleasing all these shows,they could put out something new.Like when they rerelease all the game shows that BCI put out,they should have released the ones that BCI planned on releasing,but never: Tatle Tales,The Best of Match Game Volume 2, Hollywood Squares and The Dating Game.

I don't recall Mill Creek getting the rights to issue what BCI could not, which may explain that. Look, Mill Creek is a budget release place and chances are what they release is not always original, but may be the most affordable way to get something and at the best quality. For the stuff that you want, they may not have the budget for. Try Shout! or TMG for stuff like that.

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
Originally Posted by MattPeriolat
For the stuff that you want, they may not have the budget for. Try Shout! or TMG for stuff like that.

I'm not the only person who wanted the other game shows,I mentioned. What's TMG?

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Stephen Wight

I'm not the only person who wanted the other game shows,I mentioned. What's TMG?

Oh, I want game shows too, but that's a very narrow niche market. Otherwise, we'd see more by now.

TMG is Timeless Media Group.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks