What's the deal with (lack of) PS2 memory cards?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Russell, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Steve Russell

Steve Russell Stunt Coordinator

What is going on with the PS2 memory cards(Sony). Just got a PS2 and I am having a hell of a time finding them. NONE of my local stores (Target, CC, BB, Walmart, ToysRUs, etc...) have any in stock and they are not sure when they will be in stock. I even had a hard time finding them in stock with online retailers. I finally found some and have them on the way but I really shouldn't have to work this hard to spend my money. A friend of mine said he heard rumors that sony is cutting back supply of the memory cards because they want to push the HDD. I don't know if that is true but it seems to me that the lack of memory cards would hurt present sales. Kind of hard to play a game on your new console without one.

2. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Your friend is wrong. Sony has had production troubles recently with the memory cards, but just fixed them. They've said that retailer availibility should return to "normal" levels during April.

Why do people always think that companies are sheming evil schemes. In most cases, someone somewhere screwed up, and their job is totally unrelated to whoever is coming out with something that could compete or augment the origional thing.

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I heard somewhere (so not sure if this is true) that they accidentally made a bunch of 1 MB PS2 memory cards instead of 8 MB, so they not only had to remake them all, but find out what was wrong and fix it.

4. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

The truth is somewhere between. One item that I was told by a Game Buyer that I know (for a company) is that with the overseas launch of XBX the past few months, Sony was pushing all of their major alotment of peripherals to those countries (Japan, etc). If you notice, not only are the memory cards in short supply, but so are the DVD remote controls and other items. None as bad as the cards, though. I was told that normal inventory levels were expected by the middle to end of April. This was a month or so ago, so hopefully this will still hold true. Not that I'm having a problem finding anything for my Gamecube, but I feel for my friends with a PS2. When they price drop, I'll add one to my house for sure.

Good luck!

Matt

5. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

I work at best buy and the PS2 memory cards have been in very short supply ever since the holiday season. Every few weeks we receive about 30-40, but they are gone in a day or two. The other ps2 accessories have also been quite rare, although recently they seem to be consistently in stock.

6. Steve Russell

Steve Russell Stunt Coordinator

I have not noticed a shortage of remotes, 3rd party memory cards, video cables or any of that stuff. They have all been in stock at all the stores I have been to. The only accessory that I was looking for was the one they didn't have, the sony memory card.

7. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

They're starting to show up again. Like many people, I've been on the hint for a memory card for a few months. I found a stack in my local Target today and walked home with two.
    [​IMG]
    ~~Nathan