What's new

What's the deal with Ishtar? (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I've heard this movie as the butt of a lot of jokes. I've never seen it nor have I any idea what it is about, who's in it, when it was made, etc.

So, I'm curious: why, of all movies, is this one picked on so much? Is it one of those, "It's so bad, it's funny" movies like Plan Nine From Outer Space, or is it just considered disgustingly awful, like Battlefield Earth?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
nor have I any idea what it is about, who's in it, when it was made, etc.
Have you checked it out at IMDb?

Ishtar was very much like the recent Town and Country: a fortune spent, much high-profile talent, and little to show for it when the movie finally appeared. It's biggest sin is that it's just plain dull.

M.

Sarah S

Second Unit
My husband keeps telling me that the only way to see Ishtar is on a b&w 13" tv while you are durnk.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
When I rented this on VHS a long time ago, I swear the girl at the counter was trying not to laugh at me!

I've certainly seen worst movies than this, but if it really cost several millions of dollars to make it sure doesn't show!

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Ishtar is one of those movies that gets bashed by those who've never even seen it! (I'm not referring to anyone here, just in general...) I've actually been in a movie discussion where someone will say "Was it as bad as Ishtar?" and when I ask if they've actually seen it, they almost always say "nope" or "well, a few parts on cable one night..."
I actually kinda like the flick! The songs are quite funny, Charles Grodin is strong in a supporting role, Isabelle Adjani is lovely, and there's something really fun about watching two respected actors play idiot buffoons.
Don't get me wrong; Ishtar certainly isn't a great flick, but my opinion is that the movie has been given a relatively bum rap all these years.
(Heaven's Gate? Another movie that's been judged almost solely on its bloated price tag. And that one's not half bad either!)
(Howard the Duck? OK, that one sucks!) :D

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
That's a lie, take that back. Howard The Duck rocks ass. I love that movie and a lot of my friends do too.... Ok, so none of my friends like it, but I do and that's all that matters. :b Now if they would just bring on the dvd I would be a happy man.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
I suppose you people know the "Far Side" single-drawing comics by Gary Larson. Once there was an illustration of a video store in Hell. The poor customer is looking at shelves upon shelves with video cassettes, which is bad enough in itself :D ; but even worse - they were all of the same movie: Ishtar.

Charles Guajardo

Stunt Coordinator
Ishtar, sadly one of the most misunderstood movies of our generation, is a hilarious story of hope, redemption, and friendship.

Lyle Rogers (Warren Beatty) and Chuck "the Hawk" Clarke (Dustin Hoffman) are two struggling song writers convinced they have the talent to make it big given the opportunity. Beaten down by the lack of faith from their family, the industry, and unreceptive audiences, Rogers and Clarke seem to be at the end of their rope when fate steps in to give them hand. This comes in the form of a gig in war torn Ishtar, a small country outside of Morocco.

Disguised as a buddy picture and road movie, Ishtar is ultimately so much more. Having to shed one’s many indentities in order to realize greatness, being released from the bonds of mundane responsibilities, and the fear of risking everything in order to have nothing are just some of the themes explored in the first hour. The second hour is filled with beautiful revolutionaries, rocket launchers, and Charles Grodin. Honestly, how can anyone claim this is anything but greatness?

Plus, you get some absolutely brilliant and hiliarious songs to boot! See the movie and judge for yourself rather than listen to same inane "reviews" from people who have never even seen it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks