What's new

What's the deal with HDCD? (1 Viewer)

chris_clem

Second Unit
I have recently noticed that some of my favorite CDs (like my Natalie Merchant CDs) are HDCD and so I decided to read up on this format but I now have more questions that answers and I was hoping if someone can help me out.

1) From the HDCD.com site:
In addition to decoding HDCD recordings, the HDCD decoder chip used in consumer products also contains the HDCD high-precision digital filter that improves the sound quality of all types of digital audio recordings.
Again, is this corporate B.S. or does the HDCD chip really do anything different to the sound signal thus giving it an "advantage"? (Sounds weird to me since if it adds anything it would color or distort the original intended sound right? Regardless of whether or not it ends up sounding "better")

3) How does this format compare to SACD and DVD-A? Is it totally outclassed when comparing the stereo signals or does it hold its own? (Subjective, I know but opinions would still be much appreciated)

4) Are there any articles out there detailing this format’s (apparent) rise and fall? I would specifically like to read about who backed it and who didn't and why it didn't really have a large impact on the industry (to my knowledge anyway, I could be wrong).

5) When I put my Duncan Sheik "Phantom Moon" CD in my PC windows media player says it's HDCD but there is no mention of it anywhere in the packaging AND it's not listed in the HDCD site. This is an incredibly well recorded album and is one of my favorites so I wouldn't be surprised if it was HDCD but does any one know for sure?

6) Are there any new or upcoming players that still support this format? I am in the process of selecting a Universal Player and if there is a player that is HDCD compatible as well as SACD and DVD-A it would win almost right away since I know of no such player. (I'm choosing between a Denon 2200, Denon 2900 and Yamaha s2300, none of them are listed as HDCD compatible as far as I know)

I'm sorry for the numerous questions but any information in this matter is much appreciated :)

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
If you run a search, there was a thread a while ago that gave a nice overview of HDCD. Basically, it's better than a regular CD but nowhere near SACD/DVD-A. Also, it's pretty much a dying format so there isn't much hardware support for it.

Andy_Steb

Stunt Coordinator
I’m no expert in this area, but I think it’s more of which processor you have not the dvd player to receive HDCD.
I currently own one HDCD (Kenny Wayne Shepard) and I find no difference between it and regular cd. I wouldn’t let this HDCD thing influence your decision on future purchases. SACD and DVD-Audio blows HDCD out of the water.

My current setup HK525, HDCD printed on the face plate. Will play HDCD in stereo mode only, all surround modes off.
Denon 2900, with the 6CH analog outputs there is no indication of HDCD. With the optical output, the HK has no problem decoding HDCD from the PCM signal. I haven’t tried 2CH from the HK to the Denon to see what it will do.

Richard Solomon

Auditioning
Hello all: I just read this thread because, in comparing the Harman Kardon sr4500 with the newer 4600, the only difference between the two is that the latter has added "HDCD decoding". Sounds like the consensus is that this was hardly a significant advance. I'm curious, though, why a newer machine would have this feature if it's really going to be soon defunct or superceded. Any thoughts?
Thanks, and Happy New Year! Richard

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I see HDCD as a "bonus" feature of any receiver/CD player/DVD player. Even with SACD/DVD-A, there are still titles being released with HDCD encoding. And HDCD encoding can be found on the CD layer/side of some SACD/DVD-A, such as Dire Straits' "Brothers In Arms".

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like the consensus is that this was hardly a significant advance.
Let's put it this way - if you have an HDCD compatible system, then you *will* notice a difference over ordinary CD. Is it better than DVD-A or SACD? Alas, no. But chances are you will have a fair number of HDCD encoded discs without realising it, so you may as well take advantage of the facility if you can.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
If you're playing an HDCD on the same equipment in the same manner with and w/o decoding, you could notice a difference. My secondary basement system has HDCD decoding built into the receiver and also the DVD player down there. I also have an old outboard DAC down there that is still pretty good compared to very expensive separate CD playback. Playing back any HDCD w/o encloding thru the DAC sounds better than playing it back with HDCD thru either the DVD player or the rec'r. As noted by the other posts above, consider it a bonus, not a necessity. Most CD playback thru the avg. home theater set-up is primarily geared towards DVD playback with CD playback as a secondary feature anyway.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
I've had HDCD available in my home theater system for several years, and I have never been able to tell a difference between HDCD and redbook CDs. Even switching between analog and digital connections, there doesn't seem to be a difference (and I'm listening through Rotel gear with B&W Nautilus speakers). HDCD is fading away IMO.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
HDCD is not fading way, Mark. It's just that what used to be owned by Pacific Microsonics was acquired by . . .

Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...hdcdabout.aspx

My Mitsu DD-8020 has HDCD playback capability but it's not a universal (DVD-A but no SA-CD). As long as you have a transport with a digital out, all you need is a pre/pro or receiver that does HDCD decoding.

-p

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I have a huge music collection and I bet no more than 25 CD's I own, have HDCD. Warner has dabbled with it and I have a couple of Grateful Dead remasters done up with it that I recall. I have a flock of Higher Octave label CD's with the ex-tree codes. I've never had any equipment that decodes it...

FeisalK

Screenwriter
The Onix XCD-88 is a good entry level HDCD player ($299) just in case anyone's curious.

Windows Media 9 has a HDCD indicator which will light up if you happen to play a HDCD in your CDROM (not WMP10, tho it does decode HDCD)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks