What's new

What's the deal with everyones post count dissapearing? (1 Viewer)

Steeve Bergeron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steeve Bergeron
That bothers you but 35 tournament threads in Polls doesn't?
Give it a rest already! I don't know if you noticed, but since the removal of the post count, the tournaments haven't lost steam one bit. How disappointing! N'est-ce pas? What will be the next excuse now?

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Give it a rest already!
Steeeve my post was truncated to protect the innocent, originally it was a 200 word treatise called "Tournaments - Form and Function" but was felt by the higher ups as a bit too blunt and could be misinterpreted as hostile so it was reduced to one lowly harmless sentence, sadly.;)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
O.K., here's the devil's advocate perspective. The point was made that poll tournament activity has not died down at all since post counts became "invisible". If it is found that members' posting habits do not change with the post counts invisible, will the post counts come back? Why have them hidden in that case? I said early in this thread that I was all for hiding the post counts if doing so did improve the perceived quality of posts across the site. However, if nothing changes, then what does hiding the post counts accomplish? Perhaps nothing more than satisfying those who for some reason were bothered by seeing them. Does that opinion speak for the majority of members? I'm just not a fan of change for the sake of change, and I'm not a fan of taking an action that may not satisfy the majority. If making post counts invisible does not change members' posting habits, then maybe we should have a poll asking if people want post counts visible or not.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Keith,

It's not just that.

Whether posting habits change or not, there are some who infer far too much meaning from them (ie. high post count = importance of some sort).

I think they should stay gone for good.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rain, I understand what you are saying, and I have read many comments along the same line of reasoning throughout this thread. However, where are all these posts from people with high post counts that show an air of superiority as a result of the high post counts? Sorry, but I have not seen anyone with a high post count making a big deal about their "accomplishment". I understand people having a problem with others posting just to boost his or her post count. I also understand people having a problem with others taking on an attitude of superiority as a result of a high post count. However, I have not seen the latter. I just haven't seen it.

In my opinion, the only sensible reason for removing post counts is an attempt to improve the overall quality of posts on the HTF. Frankly, I think the issue of superiority as a result of a high post count has been blown way out of proportion. That's just my opinion and it is not my intent to deride you or anyone else.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I like this change...this will prevent new members, who are accustomized to other boards, from pulling the useless-post trick to up their perceived status.

I've seen this trick used on other boards and it ain't pretty. Seen too many board-paralyzing flame-wars as a result.

Good riddance, post count!

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I guess I'm in the minority that miss the post counts. They were a quick, albeit imperfect, way to gauge the experience of the member. For example, I think there is some value in seeing that Mike Knapp has 5,000+ posts; it gives instant recogniton that this is a person who has contributed a lot to the community.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I guess I'm in the minority that miss the post counts. They were a quick, albeit imperfect, way to gauge the experience of the member. For example, I think there is some value in seeing that Mike Knapp has 5,000+ posts; it gives instant recogniton that this is a person who has contributed a lot to the community.[q/uote]
There is some serious dishonesty going on in this thread, and it is from those claiming that they never look at post counts, or that post counts make no difference. They are the same who like all classic movies, the same who claim that they always prefer personality over body, the same who claim that size doesn't matter :D
Anyway, you get the point. I Brian said, I look at posts counts as a gauge of experience. Sure, it means that some people just post a lot... and say little, but you learn to identify those pretty quickly. I agree that duration of membership is more important.
I guess it is the whole denial of the subtle hierarchy that exists in all communities such as this one that is guetting to me.
Like it or not, consciously or otherwise, a post authored by someone with 4000 posts carries more weigth than the same one by a member with 400 posts. Perhaps it shouldn't be that way, but it is.
Simple question: if no one cared about post counts, why would it be an issue? The very fact that this measure was taken proves my point.
It's good that they are gone, it levels things up.
--
Holadem

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I liked the post counts for the same reasons as Brian, they gave a quick reference to someone's contributions here, and for those people I wasn't familiar with, if they seemed to be stepping out of line, a low count was at least an excuse for not knowing the tone of the forum.

I can't say I've seen any blatent post count boosting, and would probably count that among the least offensive aspects of HTF recently. I would rank manners much higher.

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I have been here for quite some time as you can see from my "born on" date. I dont know what my post count is but I imagine it is a fair number.

Many of my posts were administrative ones performed when I was a moderator here, so my count is a tad misleading. Telling people to stop fighting is certainly no indicator of my knowledge level in the hobby. While I liked the number being visible because it demonstrates a willingness to participate, I understand the need for it's exclusion.

Mike

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I agree with the removal of the post count... however, I suddenly feel partially responsible for it's demise due to the debate that cropped up in this thread.
I've never consciously posted strictly to boost my count. I will admit to posting the occasional "fluff" thread, however, but it's usually for comedic value.
I think we all consider each other as "friends" here and the posts reflect the casual conversation that occurs between friends (why else would you have a deodorant thread? ;)). I don't think removing the count will reduce this, but if there are members out there maliciously boosting their numbers... they need to get outside more often.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dave, good point. I would hate to lose the fun
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif
between friends here because of a stigma surrounding post-count inflation (post counts are still accessible). Hopefully that won't happen.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Mike,
If anybody wanted to see anyone's post count, they only have to click on the profile icon to see that person's post count listed on the profile page.

Crawdaddy

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Well, I am quite please to see the old post-count gone. Sure, it had its moments, but I think it was more a burden than a blessing. It became abused. I brought up the issue quite some time ago:http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=40006
Those that are active on the forum know perfectly well who else is involved and whom to lend an ear to. When certain people talk, I make a point to read what they say.
Overall, I think this was the right thing to do!

Andre F

Screenwriter
I personally really don't like this at all. Obviously, the most important part is the actual forums, but...I've watched my total post count grow over the past few years. I don't frequent many other forums except this one and I find it cool to reach a higher number. Oh well....no matter how much complaining I do it's no going to change anything, everyone else seems really happy with the decision. So be it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks