What's the deal with cabinet depth measurements?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by DarrenAlan, Feb 15, 2005.

1. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

I own a Gregg Loewen-calibrated Panny 47WX49 that I've been pretty pleased with. However, about a year ago my wife and I moved and the room in which it is now housed is smaller than our previous HT room. As a result -- and since it looks like so many sources are going to HDMI and/or DVI outputs -- I'm considering a new, slimmer set, perhaps plasma, possibly even DLP.

Here's my question. The Panny website lists my set as having a depth (in inches) of 24.6". However, the component jacks plug in straight out of the back, making the actual depth from the wall more like 27 or even 28 inches. Since one of the chief selling points of plasma, and DLP to a lesser extent, is narrow width, what is the general configuration of these sets' inputs? It would seem to make the most sense either to have them on the bottom of the set or, in the case of DLP, perhaps facing straight up on the cabinet some distance behind the actual screen.

Also, since I've never seen an HDMI cable, what width is the actual hard, i.e. fixed plastic or metal, part of the jack? (I would guesstimate component's as 2 inches plus whatever more distance it takes to bend the wire up, down, left or right -- probably 3" total.) I'm thinking there might be some space savings as well, even if it's only 1 or 1-1/2".

My overall goal, besides improving picture quality (via more advanced technology including removing the D-to-A and A-to-D conversion via the DVI and HDMI outputs of my hi-def satellite box and a DVD player to be named later -- suggestions for DVDPs welcome) would be to save a foot to 18" of depth with a new set, which would allow for better placement in my room and make the whole space appear larger.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you can share.

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

YOu need to inspect the set you are thinking of buying to see exactly where the jacks are.

Some plasmas may need to be mounted an inch or two away from the wall for proper ventilation.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

I have a 6-month-old son in the house right now so it's tough for me to get out & about that much ... but thanks.

Was just wondering why RPTV manufacturers put inputs where they do. Doesn't seem to make that much sense IMO..........

4. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

Many flat panel sets (LCD and Plasma) have a seperate box to house some of the electronics like amplifiers for built in speakers and tuners. On my LCD this box is where all the connections are made from outside sources and there is a set of thick cables that runs the monitor and those connections are recessed into the back panel of the set and covered by a plastic panel so no depth needs to be added on a set like this. I haven't looked at the back of many RP sets lately but my CRT has the same problem with the connectors being located where they stick straight out the back of the set.