Whats the correct crossover setting with satellite mains?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by AlexanderS, Feb 3, 2004.

1. AlexanderS

AlexanderS Second Unit

I was reading my Onkyo manual and it states that when mains have a 3 1/2" diameter, crossover should be set to 120. My AR HC6's are listed at 3 1/2" in the manual. I thought I remember being told that the max the setting is 100. Just wanted to get clarification on this.

2. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Going by the size of the driver is a gross generalization. You want to really go by the frequency response of your speakers. Set the crossover about 20 - 30hz above the lower limit of your speakers (because the crossover is a slope).

3. John S

John S Producer

In this case that max setting is in the downward direction... 120hz would actually be a lesser setting than 100hz, and 80 would be exceeding the max limit you stated on the sats.

4. AlexanderS

AlexanderS Second Unit

Thanks for clarifying John, thats what I was getting at.

My manual lists the frequency response at 80 - 20 +/- 3db. So taking that into account my setting should be 100 correct? Since there is no 110 setting and 120 would be too high.

5. John S

John S Producer

yes, 100hz would be most logical for you. If your AVR strains, or your speakers don't handle the high volumes very well, then you have no choice but to go to 120hz, but your sub at that point, does have directional frequencies in it. But it is a small price to pay for allowing your AVR and speakers to attain better performance.

6. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

You can generally consider that your main speakers will still be reproducing sound at about half the frequency setting of your crossover. This of course depends on the exact characteristics of your crossover. And of course as the frequency decrease (from the crossover point) the mains don’t reproduce as much of the sound, until they are being asked to contribute very little.

Given this, I’d suggest a crossover of 120Hz–150Hz. As John has mentioned you will get a bit of directional sound from your sub with these settings, but overall you should get better performance with a higher crossover point.

Many satellite/sub combinations have a bit of a ‘hole’ in the lower mid-range region. Setting the crossover too low will accentuate this problem.

Congratulations on the HC6 setup. I think that this is a very fine package for the price.

7. AlexanderS

AlexanderS Second Unit

Thanks Lew, I sure hope so.

I don't know if it will help in the determination but my receiver is an Onkyo 601. I really can't see it straining pushing such small speakers but Im not really an expert.

8. AlexanderS

AlexanderS Second Unit

Well Ive now tested both 100 and 120 and I can't seem to figure out how to tell a difference. Both sound essentially the same to me. Any suggestions on how to decide?

Also, on a side note, my sub has been making a popping noise every now and then. Nothing too loud, sort of like a low thump. I searched the forum and some said it was the auto-on function of the sub, others said the power was the problem. Just wondering what you all thought. Thanks.

9. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

I agree with Lew,the higher setting is more appropriate IMO.
    The rule of thumb is that to set the crossover 1 octave above the speaker's naturall rolloff point[F3],in your case of 80hz[set crossover to, or closer to 160hz], to avoid "cascading" of the speaker's roll off and the crossover in the receiver,and ensure better blending of the 2 speakers[mains and sub].However the sub must be able cover those high frequencies,so check with the manufacturer of the sub regarding this.It is also most likely that you have to move the sub closer to the mains[if you not already],so it won't be as "directional" since it's reproducing some frequencies of that as such.
    Regarding the "pop" yes it's more likely the auto sensing feature,when it's shuts off. I've had a same problem with one of my subs in the past.