What's the consensus on the Behringer Ultra-Curve?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil Olson, Mar 25, 2001.

1. Phil Olson

Phil Olson Stunt Coordinator

I've been waiting for Lexicon to come up with a room correction feature on the MC-1 to no avail so it's time to look around for other solutions.
    How does the Ultra-Curve stack up for sound quality? How does it stack up against the better analog EQ's?
    The 3 bands of Parametric EQ per channel would really help me out, as well as the ability to store different profiles.
    IF not the U-C, what EQ would you recommend of good sound quality?
    TIA,
    Phil

2. MichelF

MichelF Extra

My personnal experience:
    I tried the Ultra-curve pro for room correction but could never be fully satisfied with it. I found that it was not transparent enough (mainly on medium and high). Also the main problems in my room (and I guess in most rooms) are in the bass area.
    I then decided to send it back (I had money back garanty) and get the DSP1100P Feedback Destroyer instead and use it on my 2 subwoofers only (leave the LR channels untouched).
    I am just starting to play with this setup but for sure on the subwoofers it is totally transparent. It offers more parametric filters than the ultra-curve. On top of that the BFD is much cheaper than the Ultra-Curve.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Michel

3. Jeff Rosz

Jeff Rosz Second Unit

michel,
    if i remember correctly, the UC has a spectrum analyizer. did you find it useful or useless?
    ------------------
    *why build one when you can build two for twice the price*
    jeff

4. MichelF

MichelF Extra

You are right it includes a 1/3 Octave RTA.
    I replaced it with a PC software (but I kept the Behringer calibrated microphone), the SIA SmaartLive software is much more precise (down to 1/24 octave) and complete (it is not the only software able to do RTA).
    It seems to be a consensus in the pro area that 1/3 octave does not give enough resolution to be able to identify problems and correct them. It can even be misleading.
    I suggest that you have a look at a very interesting paper on this subject:
    "Maximizing Loudspeaker performance in room" written by Floyd E. Toole (from Harman Int. Industries).
    It is available online at: http://www.harman.com/wp/index.jsp?articleId=65
    and it actually gives an example where 1/3 octave RTA lead to wrong correction.
    Hope this help.
    Michel

5. Phil Olson

Phil Olson Stunt Coordinator

So what are the current top names in 3rd octave EQ's? I have sound analysis software so I know what I can get away with without overdoing it.
    I've tried an ART-351 but it's also not ready for prime time.
    Phil