What's the cheap/easy way to deaden a cabinet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RichardH, Apr 3, 2001.

1. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

I have some bookshelf speakers and a center channel that vibrate quite noticably if you put your hand on them while they're playing at even moderate volumes. I'm pretty sure there's little stuffing in there, and there might not be a traditional brace either.
    I figure acoustic stuffing is easy enough to do, but would it be difficult to add braces to the speakers?
    RichardH

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I have 2 recommendations that you may wish to try. You can get either at www.audioadvisor.com. One is 'Blue Taxk Damping Compound' (just do a search of the work 'tack') it is $9.95 and basically is a removable putty like material that sits between the speaker and the surface. The other product is Vibrapods (do a search of 'vibrapod'). You can also go to www.vibrapod.com. They go under the speaker as well and come in sets of 4 ($24/set). There are different models depending on the weight being supported.
    ------------------

3. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Thanks, Phil, for the suggestions.
    But I don't think either really gets at the problem that the cabinets are under-braced and need stuffing. The stuffing part is easiest to fix, but I wonder how difficult if would be to make a brace for them...
    RichardH

4. Greg Risley

Greg Risley Second Unit

I have seen where people have attached pieces of mdf to the outside of the speaker cabinet with screws and a thin sheet of rubber between the cabinet and the panel.
    The best example would be to go to the www.sonusfaber.com web site and look at some of the monitor style speakers to get the general idea.
    Greg