What's new

What's the buzz on the new B&K line? (1 Viewer)

Rob Roth

Stunt Coordinator
I keep hearing about this new improved (not evolutionary) line of amps and receivers. I've had several B&K products and have felt they represented good value, but I'm starting to think the current Reference line is dated. For instance, the 7250, which I have, is a very muscular piece but not especially quick on transients. I'd also like to see a Ref. 30 upgrade. Anybody in the know?

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Someone (on one of the forums) posted something about a very high end line on its way from B&K. I seem to remember something about a digital amplifier(?).

The Ref 30 upgrade is still in the "waiting on Motorola" stage from what I understand. Once DPL2 is there the Ref 30 will be right there with the best in its class.

There's been talk of a Ref 40 (not sure if that's an official name) but I've yet to read anything remotely official on that.

Gifford L

Agent
What Camp says is accurate. There is a new Gucci series coming out next year. The ref 40 should be out soon shortly before a DPLII upgrade but a lot of the waiting game is because of Motorola at this point.

That said amplifiers don't really change and haven't for decades. Some of the earliest SET (single ended triode) tube designs are considered good today as well.

The REF 7250 is a good amplifier and there are no newer generation amplifiers that are faster for transients. I guess I'm saying it that I don't think you can buy an amp that is "faster" or "slower" and actually hear it.

B&K uses Mosfet's that are said to have a warmer signature to them that many people prefer, a brighter amp may sound faster or more snappy but isn't really faster.

Also if you have very ineffecient speakers and listen very loud or in a very large room you could be hearing a compression of dynamics which would be related to power not speed. This compression could make an amp sound slow I suppose but the 7250 is rated at 200 watts and has a substantial power supply so I doubt that is the case.

People used to think that a fast slew rate meant that an amp would be better for transients but I believe this has been shown to be inaudible and I hardly ever see a slew rate specification anymore.

The other thing could be damping factor.

In short I guess I'm saying you may find a "faster" sounding amp but in reality it is other things you would be hearing and they would not be related to a 7250 being dated because it isn't. A speaker or amplifier can keep the same model in production for a very long time and often do, only changing models in some cases for marketing purposes.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Gucci? Nouveau riche, chi-chi junk. :thumbsdown: B&K has enough cachet to stand on its own. Stupid, stupid, stupid marketing ploy.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Maybe it's just the name...maybe they aren't licensing the Gucci name we all know. Or at least, let's hope so.
I want that new Prada Lexicon and DKNY Onkyo. ;)

Rob Roth

Stunt Coordinator
You've got to be kidding- they'd license a name? I hope they come out with the Ref. 30/307 upgrades soon. I'm vacationing in Canada in August and planned to drop off the 307 for mods on my way North. Might also be a chance for a factory tour.

I'm still a little confused; is the new line controllers/receivers or are the amps also being changed?

Gifford L

Agent
NO it has nothing to do with the clothing company at least I hope not. It will be more like a Krell or something along those lines as far as chassis and componentry. (ie. balanced, multiple DSP's, better parts etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread