What's new

Whats the biggest and baddest DIY sub? (1 Viewer)

BrianKR

Second Unit
That can be built by an online DIY company for under $1500 dollars? I don't have the time or patience to build my own.

I want something that can reach the depths of hell (10hz) with authority and can kick out high spl (105-120dB's if possible) in the 25-65hz range.

Is there such a sub?

BrianKR

Second Unit
We are in the process of emailing back and forth.
I like dealing with people that tell me I will build you what "you want" and it will meet "all of your needs & expectations".
I tried to make it easy on him by telling him I have no size or power limitations.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
Brian Bunge :

Hey, I'm curious. I would like to know what you have in mind given BrianKR's budget, goals, and constraints. Twin malstroms ? Tumolt ?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
oh great...it is a brian convention in here!
Yeah Tony. As they say in Professional Wrestling, get the F out! ;)
Brian F,
I'm thinking of using a Tumult with dual PR's. Brian's biggest concern was high SPL's without having to worry about bottoming out the driver. I figure if there's a driver that's "bottom proof" the Tumult should be about as close as it gets. He also wants something that can blend well with his B&W Nautilus speakers so I figure a 150-200L enclosure tuned low would work best. He's already got an RMX2450 so power isn't an issue.
The Maelstroms are an interesting approach as well although he'd likely destroy them if he pushed them to their limits. They might be a better option if music takes a huge priority over subsonic output.

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
Just a suggestion, if high dynamic output is the goal, I would look to do everything possible to use a pair of Tumults. I realize this pushes the budget some, but this cuts the power to each driver in 1/4 and total requirements in half for the same output. Likewise, since ultra low frequency output is desired, I would see what could be done with multiple PRs, and maybe even plan on "under PR'ing" the design for the full capabilities of the Tumult while better matching into the room and still gaining the benefits of having a pair. 4 15" PRs really loaded up might just do the trick in a larger box size. Be sure to look at the output capability, not just the if you can overdrive them.

Of course the other option which should certainly be considered is an infinite baffle. Lots of potential savings on woodworking, more money for drivers, and much better sub-16Hz performance depending on what avenue you choose with drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks