What's the better bang for the buck?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Varto, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

My new computer is almost complete. Im missing the key ingredient - a video card.

I see that the G3 Ti200's come in two varities. One has 64mb on board memory and one has 128mb on board memory. Is it worth the extra cash for 128?

Should I just wait until March when the G4's hit the shelves? Should I just get a G4 Ti4200 or Ti4400?

What do you guys think?

2. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

As with most things for computers. I always buy the best video card I can afford (if you're a gamer especially). It's not so much what you need now, it's what will you need next year. The better you can get, the longer it will last before needing another upgrade.

The GF4's sure look impressive.

3. Craig LeBlanc

Craig LeBlanc Stunt Coordinator

128mb of memory on the geforce 3's is basically useless. Right now there are no games that will take advantage of it. So I wouldn't waste the money on that.

If you want to wait til mid-March or so, the geforce 4 ti 4400 and 4600's will be out. The ti4200, which is the probably the best ban for the buck for the geforce 4's, might not even be released. Nvidia stated that, if they do decide to produce the chips, it will be about 8 weeks away. Whether they meant 8 weeks from the official geforce 4 announcement or from the street date of the geforce 4 ti4400/4600's ?

4. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Bang for the buck right now is definitely the 64MB Ti200 GF3. People are getting them in the low $100s, with a deal every now an then for $99 or less.

128MB with any video card is useless unless you're running ultra-high resolutions with 4X AA, which would be the only scenario that would overfill a 64MB buffer.