What's the best way to upgrade Dish network?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Rags, Aug 14, 2001.

1. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

Hello all-
    I myself am a newbie to satellite, but here is my dilemma: I just recently moved back home with my parents (I am a grad student), and I'm looking for the best strategy to upgrade our current Dish Network system. Here is the problem: my pop already is a Dish subscriber, but it is the "old school" dish (pre-Dish500) and there is only one LNA out from the dish. My goal is to upgrade such that we can use two receivers from the same dish (upgrade to Dish 500?). What do you recommend is the cheapest and most logical way to upgrade our system? I would also like to do the installing myself. Would it be easiest to unsubscribe and resubscribe in my name? Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks for your help, I really appreciate any responses you could give me.

2. Bob Jackson

Bob Jackson Stunt Coordinator

You are eligible for a new subscriber discount on hardware - ie the new I Like $9 Plan.
    Or you can go Digital Home Plan and pay $5 a month extra for leasing the equipment.
    Or you can outright buy new equipment outright.
    There are several cheap internet dealers and Sears.

3. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Also check Dishnetwork.com. Sometimes they offer Dish 500 upgrade packages that may include free installation with the
    credit card pay.
    ------------------
    If loving Home Theater is
    wrong, I don't want to be
    right!!!

4. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

There should be no need to upgrade to Dish 500 just to add another receiver - unless, of course, you want the America's Top 150 package, or some other programming on the 110 satellite.
    You should be able to find a dual LNB for your existing dish, and run another coax line out to it. That would be the cheapest way. I believe a dual LNB goes for about $35. Then, acquire the receiver of your choice, within your price range.
    -Scott

5. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Scott's the winner on that one. I just want to add that maybe you already have dish with dual LNB and it's just not hooked up as far as running the second coax down from the house to the switch box. Check it first, that's my problem and the one thing that's keeping me from adding the extra receiver is the fact that my dish is on a 20 foot pole. But that will change when I get the salve receiver in.
    ------------------
    If loving Home Theater is
    wrong, I don't want to be
    right!!!

6. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

Thanks for the help guys....looks like I will try to find a dual LNB and try that. One more question...if I buy an extra receiver (new or used), will it automatically work when I get it connected, or does Dish have to "program it." I am curious because I was looking into buying a used unit off ebay, but I am confused by the whole "card" thing. Will anything work in getting the channels that I subscribe to?
    Thanks again for everyone's help...
    --Tom

7. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Any LNB will work but most DirecTV LNB's mount into a square arm. Dish uses an arm with a slight curve to the top, sometimes called a 'D' shape. It will be easier to mount a Dish LNB. They are about $35 at www.dishdepot.com .
    You have to call Dish to activate the new receiver. You give them the receiver's serial number and the card number. They are then "married". That prevents you from using your card in another receiver.
    Be careful with used receivers. The card that is included may be loaded with PPV's and will not be activated until they are paid for. It may be safer to request a new card from Dish.
    There will be a $5 charge per month for the extra receiver.
    -Robert

8. Renny

Renny Auditioning

After you install your new receiver, I will have to call E* to get the receiver activated. They will "marry" the two receivers together and charge you an extra $5 per month. I suggest going with th 501 receiver. I love it--I has changed the way I watch TV. I hardly ever watch live TV. Watch it on the PVR and skip the commercials!!