1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What's the best way to remove old paint from window glass?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Drew Bethel, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

I heard of the old razor blade technique but was wondering if there is a more efficient remedy. Thanks.

2. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Drew,

Do you know what kind of paint is on the window? If it is a oil style paint or even Latex then you could use some Paint Spirits with a squirt bottle on a mist spray. Spray the glass and whatever else you want to remove the paint from and then let it set. Repeat a couple of times to make sure the paint is loose then just use a paint scraper to easily remove the paint. The Razor blade will work well as long as you dont have a lot of surface area to remove.

KyleS

3. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Thanks Kyle, yes, it is most latex paint - I think. Our house has the old fashioned windows (built in 1937) so I won't be able to just spary and clean.

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Razor blade will probably be your best bet. The latex should come of easily in rubbery chunks.

5. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Heat gun helps too....

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

without question a razor blade. there isn't a simpler, faster or neater method that i can think of.

using a wet solution will be messy. a heat-gun may actually soften the paint too much, casing it to get all goopy...

you can buy special blades that kinda look like a drywall spatula - that way you have a safe grip with a wide scraping surface.