What's the best way to pack electronics?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Pamela, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

I'm gathering boxes to pack up my HT stuff, in anticipation of moving in 2 weeks. How should I pad the gear? I don't think packing peanuts would be very good. Will stuffing the boxes with newspaper be sufficient? Is bubble wrap the way to go?

Thanks!

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi pamela -

it sounds like you don't have the original packing boxes anymore? luckily, for most of my stuff, i did.

however, for the few thing that didn't have the boxes, here's what i did.

i stuffed my boxes with clothes. [​IMG]

to clarify, i stuffed the bottom of my box with thick, dense clothes. stuff like sweathshirts, bed linin, thick towels, etc. then i put the gear in the middle, then stuffed the sides and tops with more clothing.

that way i kinda killed a few birds with one stone. i packed my clothing, packed my gear, and provided an inexpensive and quite adequate means of protection for my gear.

imo, it works just as well as spending more money to buy bubble wrap. one other thing i made sure to do was securely tape the boxes - i taped the sides and bottoms. i definitely didn't want the sides or bottom breaking open.

then i clearly labeled the boxes as electronics - that way i'd be double-sure not to just toss the boxes willy-nilly. between all that, my gear arrived completely undamaged in any way.

good luck on the move!

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Yep, Ted has what I think is the best way too.

If that is not possible, styrofoam blocks, peanuts and bubble wrap are all great. You just have to remember that if the carton should fall, the gear has to be protected on all 6 sides. Don't think that if you set them upright in the bottom of a carton they will be safe. put something between the inside walls of the carton and your gear - about 2" all around.

You might want to label your cables too, just in case.

Glenn

4. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

Thanks for the tips! Never thought about padding with clothes. I certainly have enough of those. Great idea!

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

That should work great...just be carefull not to use something that would generate static like silk[​IMG]

6. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

Static bags are also a good idea if you can get your hands on them.

7. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    and don't forget to throw in a packet of silica

[​IMG]

Seriously, the clothes is a good idea. I've also used crumpled up newspaper. I've also saved a bunch of those airbag things I get when ordering stuff online and reuse them.

Jay

8. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

10. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

When I moved last month I wrapped all my gear up in moving blankets and put it in the back seat of the car [​IMG]
    course the car was on a trailer, behind a 24' truck so it's not like I needed the room for anything. Everything rode nicely though. No problems at all