Whats the best way to angle the center speaker down?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Rock, Aug 28, 2001.

1. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

The title says it all.
    I am having a 36" WEGA delivered today, and when placed on top of the TV stand we bought for it (NOT the "official" Sony one) the center speaker will be about 60" off the ground, a good 8 to 12" higher than the mains.
    I want to angle the center (JBL N-Center) downward. What's the best way? I was thinking of getting some rubber door stops.
    ------------------
    "You advance yourself only by my good graces."

2. John H

John H Second Unit

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I use rubber door stops for my B&W LCR6 and Toshiba 56H80 combination. At less than $2, it was the best "bang for the buck" money I've spent.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5

4. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

I used a special center speaker angler...cost a mere 500 bucks but now the center speaker is the only one I need.
    Sorry for the joke.
    doorstops or small rubber feet for chairs, homedepot sells lots of little doodads that you could use, just take a wander.
    ------------------
    Oops, I dropped my eardrums.
    Could you pick them up for me?

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

You can make little feet with rubber erasers (the soft, pink rectangles).
    Paperback books have also been used.
    I have a wheelbarrow innertube under mine. A poor-mans version of the "audio-bladder" that was popular a few years ago.
    Lovan makes 2 triangle-shaped stands with adjustable feet for about $70 and $130 depending on the small/large size of your speaker.
    Some other advice:
    - Make the front of the speaker over-hang the front of the TV, not pushed back.
    - You want feet to de-couple the speaker body from the top of the TV.
    - After playing with the speaker angle, make sure to re-calibrate with a SPL meter (Some speakers throw out a very narrow sound-field and a slight angle change can make a huge difference in volume level a few feet away).
    - A cheap laser-pointer can be usefull to see where your center is pointing.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

You can make little feet with rubber erasers (the soft, pink rectangles).
    Paperback books have also been used. (Hint: dont use your wife's copy of Harry Potter or she will never forgive you [​IMG])
    I have a wheelbarrow innertube under mine. A poor-mans version of the "audio-bladder" that was popular a few years ago.
    Lovan makes 2 triangle-shaped stands with adjustable feet for about $70 and $130 depending on the small/large size of your speaker.
    Some other advice:
    - Make the front of the speaker over-hang the front of the TV, not pushed back.
    - You want feet to de-couple the speaker body from the top of the TV.
    - After playing with the speaker angle, make sure to re-calibrate with a SPL meter (Some speakers throw out a very narrow sound-field and a slight angle change can make a huge difference in volume level a few feet away).
    - A cheap laser-pointer can be usefull to see where your center is pointing.

7. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

Just a tip if you decide to go with the door stoppers and you happen to be "fashion conscious". I was at OfficeMax the other day and saw that they have a selection of rubber door stops in many fashionable colors. I figured that may be more appealing than the typical brown door stop if you can see them from the side like in my room. Besides, I understand the blue ones will make your speaker sound better! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    "The last thing I want to remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
    my home theater
    my DVD collection

8. Dave Lyons

Dave Lyons Stunt Coordinator

I actually use a stand that was designed to hold a form-feed impact computer printer (used it back in the Commodore 64 days!!) It holds my Paradigm CC-450 about 3 inches above the TV, and is already angled down perfectly and padded. Originally you would put the printer on the stand and the paper underneath to feed up from behind ... it blends in nicely with the room too! My friend tried to find one recently so that he could do the same thing, but unfortunately didn't have any luck in this area ...

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

how about using two different sized rubber feet? you could go with a short one for the front and a taller one for the rear?
    i like rubber feet because they adhere to the speaker. to me that seems like a better solution than simply "resting" the speaker on something...to me it seems like that would cause "slippery-ness"???
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.

10. Greg_Bedard

Greg_Bedard Agent

I got the Lovan Director for $50 plus shipping - and I have a big center speaker (20 inches wide).
    I think it's great and highly recommend it. The only thing I didn't like was there weren't any directions with it. I scratched up the top of my entertainment a little because I didn't know where a few things were going to go.
    I did a search on Yahoo for "Lovan Director" and found some audio visual store that sells it for $50 (MSRP is like 70-80).

11. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

You can also cut to size and use the gray packing form that looks like a sponge and can be found in the boxes of some new equipment. It's also a good idea to pickup some shelf liner grabber from home depot. Place it under your center speaker to prevent it from sliding off your TV.

12. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Heh... I angled my center like true white trash -- I temporarily scotch-taped a penlight to the top to see where it was pointing and then stacked empty CD-ROM jewel cases under the back until I got it right. It already had rubber feet on the bottom though...
    You can't see the jewel cases from the front, so no one says anything. OH, BUT I KNOW THEY'RE THERE! [​IMG]

13. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

Well, I got little brown rubber doorstops from Home Depot. Works like a charm. The speaker even overhangs the front by nearly 1/2 an inch.
    ------------------
    "You advance yourself only by my good graces."