What's the best TV I can get for about $500

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen_Ri, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Stephen_Ri

Stephen_Ri Stunt Coordinator

Anyone have a sugestion? I'm looking at the Sony Wega 27in TV's. Another Idea I had was to get one of those Mitsubishi Megaview monitors that is a few years old and are really pretty cheap on eBay. Any response is appreciated. Thanks.

Stephen

2. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

I just recently got a 32" Toshiba 32A42, and am pretty happy with it so far. Was looking at some 27" flat screens, including the Sony, for roughly the same money, and am really glad I went with the conventional 32-incher. The extra real estate makes a difference! It was a tad over $500, but with a 10% off coupon from Best Buy it came to $510 and change, including tax.

I'm far from an expert, but that's my 2-cents.

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Flat screens are great, if you're in the $750 - $1000 range. They offer decent step up the quality ladder, and in that price range, you can't move much farther up anywhere else w/out going HD, RPTV, or both.

For the $500 range, i think conventional is still the way to go. Especially with some of the near-flat conventional tube tvs out there. You'll have a much more enjoyable viewing experience w/ a good 32" - 35" conventional than a 27" flat. The best thing to do is to compare the convexity (how much the tube curves) of the conventional tvs in your price range, and find the nearest to flat that you can that has a picture you like. I know that phillips makes some really good near-flat tvs. I also know that RCAs larger tube tvs have a very large convex to them.

I don't think flat is really the way to go in the $500 range.

4. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

I saw a Samsung 32 inch with the anamorphic squeeze feature at Sears in your price range.

5. Stephen_Ri

Stephen_Ri Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys. I'm glad I asked.

6. Dirk Grace

Dirk Grace Agent

7. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

Circuit City has an Apex 32 in. flat screen tv on it's website. I ca't figure out how to post teh link here, but I wonder what teh catch is.

8. Rob Tenniswood

Rob Tenniswood Stunt Coordinator

I have the Samsung linked above, and love it. The only thing I wish was different was that it had S-Video...it doesn't. Check it out.