What's new

What's the best system for $2k-2.5K? (1 Viewer)

Matt_Sulli

Agent
Blaine, i was in your situation at the beginning of the summer, limited to about $2500, i listened to some advice i got here and went with a 2 channel system for movies and music. especially for music, having rears really doesn't add much, i think your better off spending the extra cash on a better set of speakers, and if your only looking 2.1, maybe even a low cost pre/pro setup. I listened to a nad pre/pro psb image 6t combo that sounded amazing, didn't really even need a sub, and i still don't have one. i have rears hooked up now for movies, but i think music just doesn't sound as well with them. that setup ran about 2000, the wiring/tax would put it within your range, but no sub

but in the end, its up to your ears, go out and listen to as many speakers and pre/pro or reciever combos as you can, only you can tell what sounds best to you

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Kinda like what I've got for close to that.

SVS 20-39PCi - $650
nOrh ceramic 4.0 package - $850
Outlaw 1050 - $500

Puts you right at $2K. Could get a wonderful DVD or CD player for the rest plus you'll be set for HT. Now, for a two channel/music only system you may want to rethink things entirely.

Blaine G

Grip
Thank you all for the reply's i appreciate it. I think i have reconsidered what i am looking for however.. i think i want to go with something a little more robust because i do want these speakers to hook into my computer so i can use them for gaming as well, so i think i would want surround sound for that..and for that purpose would either of these setups be good for both gaming and music, or can someone recommend a better setup? Thanks in advance!
Also, i am not sure if i would need a center speaker or not..

Mains: Ascend CBM-170's
Rears: Ascend CBM-170's
Subwoofer: SVS 20-39 PCi
Receiver: Denon AVR-3802

or

Mains: rocket RS150's
Rears: rocket RS150's
Subwoofer: SVS 20-39 PCi
Receiver: Denon AVR-3802

*edit*
Also i forgot to mention, i currently have 2 bose 301 series II speakers that i am running, would the Ascend CBM-170's be a better speaker then thoe bose i have now?

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Blaine,

I have been playing FIFA 2003 in DTS in my PS2, I dont know what console you will be using and if it supports 5.1 audio. But for me is very important the center channel. But you could still play them Dolby surround with your 4.1 setup.

And in my computer I have a Hercules Game theater audio card which has 5.1 analog outputs as well as optical output, there arent many games in 5.1 formats, but you could still see DVD movies there.

Also check if the DENON can drive 6ohm speakers because the rockets are 6ohms speakers, and check the power speakers because can only hanlde 25-75Watts. And the DENON drives 110x7 channnel in 8ohms, and it will drive higher in 6ohms. But maybe I'm wrong.

Another brand that you should check is AXIOM, with what your are going to spend you could buy M3 or M22, great speakers for the money. This are 8ohms speakers that can hanlde at least 150Watts.

Hope this helps,
Pablo Abularach

Blaine G

Grip
Thank you for the reply Pablo, but may i ask which is a better speaker in your opinion overall? The rocket RS150, the Axiom M22Ti or the Ascend CBM-170 as they rae all in about the same price range? Because i think i have it down to one or the other of those. Also, what would you recommend as a good center speaker that is in my price range? Also for console gaming i would be using an xbox and for pc gaming it would be hooked up to a sound blaster audigy...both support 5.1 and up.. Thanks again!

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Blaine,
I cant be much help here because I havent heard any of those. Only the RS550, great speaker, out of my price range, but very good speaker. Pair with an Marantz SR8200.
And with Ascend, I havent heard anything, but seems to get good reviews around here.
The only other advice that I can give you is that with an $2500 budget, I think you have a lot of options, not only this two.
And Rockets, Klipsch, Paradigm, B&W, etc. are very good brands, but the lower end speakers arent that good, I think you could get better speaker like JBL or AXIOM in the $250-400. And if you are spending a little more $1000 for a pair, you could go with rockets or B&W or others options that you can search the forums. But with your budget you could do a lot.
Also remember that the brand of receiver will also change the output of your setup, it could change bright speakers like JBL to warm or neutral setup with a brand like Marantz. Try to audition the speakers that you like with the brand and model of receiver that you will buy.
The rocket RS150, the Axiom M22Ti or the Ascend CBM-170
This is a matter of opinion, but for me the M22Ti is a great speaker. I havent heard the RS150, but by specs the AXIOM will be a better pick.
Good luck,
Pablo

Blaine G

Grip
Thanks you again for the reply Pablo, i have been looking at the axiom M22ti's sense your last post and they look impresive. I don't think i want to go with the lowest end speaker that rocket makes as it just can't be too great, the Axiom M22ti and the Ascend CBM-170 both look good, but i think i would choose the M22ti out of those 2. So i guess if i went with something like this

Mains: Axiom M22ti
Rears: Axiom M22ti
Center: (dont know of a good one in my price range or if one is needed)
Subwoofer: SVS 20-39PCi
Reciever: Not sure, i need something that can power those 4 speakers and that giant sub + possible center speaker, and the denon AVR-4802 can only handle 6ohms with 150watt per channel and those speakers can take up to 200 watts so i dont know if thats the way to go.. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Matt_Sulli

Agent
i've heard nothing but good on the axioms, especilly the m22ti's, as for the reciever, if your looking at that price range, look at the sherwood r-956, 120x6 will drive 6 ohms easy, but that last setup looks nice for the speakers

Blaine G

Grip
Thank you for the reply Matt, i looked at the sherwood r-956, it looks nice, but will it be able to power 4 axiom M22Ti's which are 8ohm's and that subwoofer well? Or will it be underpowered?
*edit*
Wow i just looked at the price tag on that sherwood r-956 and that thing is $1599!? Unfortunately that is way over my budget..i can't spend more then $900 on a reciever and even that is pushing my $2500 limit.. :frowning:

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Blaine,

The M22 are 8ohm speakers, which have a 10-175watts range, so you will be ok with anything above 50Watts real, but to make it for sure ckeck all the recievers that can handle 100W+, in those my personal recommendation will be

Marantz SR7300
Harman Kardon AVR520 or AVR525
DENON 3802 or 3803

I think that the 4802 is a very good receiver, but it is out of your price range and also I think it will be waist in your set up, no that your set up is bad, but you have to balance the cost of your speakers with the cost of your receiver.

The most important thing in a HT setup are speakers. Speakers dont change the tecnology so fast as receivers, so buying a good set of speakers will be the right way to go, you will probably change receivers faster than speakers. For example I bought my new HT about 6 months and my receiver in the same time, but I'm already looking to change my receiver.

But dont get me wrong, your setup with the axiom M22ti will be a very good one, is just that I think that a mid-hi fi receiver will do the job just fine. And you could even go for better speakers, like floorstanding, check the M60 or M80 they are superb speakers.

Center: (dont know of a good one in my price range or if one is needed)
The speaker that you should consider is the AXIOM VP100, but many in here say that the difference between the VP100 and the VP150 is incredible. But this will be a matter of choosing after you choose your receiver, to see how much you will have to spare in your $2500 budget. And aslo remeber that Axiom has a 30 day return policy so you cant test them and if you dont like them just return them, but I'm sure you will like them a lot.

So my suggestion could be
Marantz SR7300 $700 ($900 in authorize dealler)
Axiom M22ti $800 (axiom direct)
Axiom VP150 $350 (axiom direct)
SVS 20-39PCi $600 (svs)
TOTAL about $2000 + shipings, inside your budget.

Hope this helps,
Pablo

Blaine G

Grip
Thank you for the reply's, i think i am going to go with the setup that Pablo suggested:

Reciever: Marantz SR7300 $700
Front + Rears:Axiom M22ti $800
Center: Axiom VP150 $350
Subwoofer: SVS 20-39PCi $600

But i guess my last question is, is this setup going to be $2500 better then my current setup? Because if it isn't going to be leaps and bounds better i am not going to waste my money.. my current setup is this:
Fronts: JBL N26
Rears: Bose 301 Series II
Reciever: Onkyo TX-SV414PRO

So i guess my question is, is the new system going to be $2500 better, or should i say is it going to be worth spending $2500 for a new one? Thanks again!

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Blaine,
I know you have your doubts, is a good amount of money, and it is ok, but the only one that could jugde this is you. The value of things can only be determine by the user, maybe you can say, My system sounds like a $5000 or you could say there isnt much difference as what I had. But this will be something that only you can determine.
Now in my opinion, AXIOM is a great speaker maker. I havent heard a negative comment here about the M22ti, and the SVS 20-39PCi is superb, I have the SVS 25-31PCi and I have never regret spending the money, intead I think my setup was a great match up, I really think my setup can compete with systems almost twice of what I spent, but this is only my opinion.
Now dont worry to much, I think you will love AXIOM-SVS-Marantz, it will be great match up. And if you dont like any, you can return them. AXIOM and SVS you will have 30 days trial periond, but I'm almost sure that you will keep them.
Try to read this other forum about M22Ti, Click HERE
Good luck on your purchase,
Pablo

Sean L

Stunt Coordinator
I've just finished this drill, and ended up with the following setup, to be used 65% music, 35% HT:

KEF Q7 mains
KEF Q1 rear/surrounds
KEF Q9 center
SVS PCi 22-31 sub (it's a 25-31 custom tuned by SVS)
Denon 2802 Receiver
Total $2689.

I auditioned many, many speakers including Def Tech, B&W, Paradigm, Monitor Audio, Wharfdale, JBL, Klipsch before deciding to go with the KEF's newest Q Series.

I still need to go out and buy cabling and two speaker stands, so I'll end up right at $3K by the time alls said and done.

I would have liked to go with a bit more powerful receiver, like a 3802/3803, but as others have said it's much easier to upgrade the receiver later, so I bought 'a bit more speaker' up front. I hope the 90wpc 2802 has enough balls to drive the KEFs.

I should have everything within the next two weeks, and I will post my first impressions. I've read that the KEFs require a fairly lengthy break-in period, so I expect their sound characteristics to change a bit at first.

Sean in Nor Cal

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks