What's new

What's the best system for $2k-2.5K? (1 Viewer)

Blaine G

Grip
Hi all, i am looking into getting a new speaker system for my room, i am looking to spend between $2000 and $2500 and i was wondering what anyone would recommend for something that will be good for just blasting music..(mainly rock and the occasional techno and classical). It is a fairly small room about 16x20 feet so i think i will only need 4 speakers. What i am looking for is: 4 speakers, or if i need more because i don't know anything about this hehe.
And a good sub and a receiver. If anyone can please help me with this it would be greatly appreciated as i don't know anything about sound systems. Thanks in advance! :)
*edit*
I am going to be using this setup to play more then just music now, i would also like it to be good for computer gaming and for playing the occasional dvd..so i guess i am looking more for a HT setup that is more geared towards music now heh. Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Sure. I love my Onix Rockets. You can see them here. There is a large thread on that other Forum dedicated to the Rockets. They have packages to fit most budgets.

Blaine G

Grip
Thank you very much for the reply Russell _T, but i am a complete "noob" at this. Which size of speaker would i want to go with for a 16x20 room, and also which reciever and sub would be the best for the money in my price range? Thanks again in advance! :)

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Personally if it were me I'd look for a set of Ascend speakers, either an Adire/Hsu/SVS sub (can't really go wrong with any of them), and maybe a Denon 3802 (or if you're lucky a 3803). A 16 x 24 room will most likely be a 3000 cubic foot area room so your system will have to be designed to be quite hardy (small or micro speakers won't cut it). Don't also forget to budget some wires, spl meter, and VE/Avia disc to get the most out of this system.

Blaine G

Grip
Thank you for the reply Robert_Gaither it is appreciated. One question however, i do not know the correct size of speaker or sub i might need? Will something the size of a normal bookshelf speakers be good? Or do i need to go with a pair of standing speakers which are bigger? Sorry for the simple examples as i do not know the correct terminology as i said above i am a noob to this hehe :).

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
I would think the 20-39 would be a good choice in the SVS subs. I have dual cs+ 20-39 SVS subs in a room that is 20x18. I needed the dual because the back and side of the room open up into another room. If you only want one look at the pc line. SVS subs are in my opinion the best you can get for the price. I love mine. People do not believe it when they here it. It makes you internal organs shake!!!

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
My advice Blaine is that you want a set of speakers that will play at 105 db without distortion or harshness (unless the soundtrack calls for it) from your primary listening position. This what we all on the forum refer to as the "reference level" of listening (this is what the intended level of sound pressure the movies are mixed at with peaks reaching at 105 db for each speaker and 115 db for the sub; this for the most part is quite loud but then it is always better to own a system that can play at that level and have the ability to turn it down than to have a system that isn't capable imho). Most of the "cute" micro speakers or sats (I usually refer this as speakers with less than 4" mids) can do this in small rooms but definitely not in one as large as the room you described earlier (your room parameters would indicate a THX Ultra spec gear). To me the minimum qualification would be either speakers with a midrange of 5" plus (tweeters can usually hit their level no problem but not most mids as they might be over-driven on very loud action sequences even when set small and filtering the bass from them) but mostly a speaker of quality should still be able to manage this. The Ascend 170 series should meet this requirement based on what I've heard (a friend of mine actually owns them and it has me in a state indecisiveness of whether to buy a set also or build a set as they are quite good).

The reason I'd personally recommend the SVS sub is that most of the DIY community on this board (and other sites I visited) would most likely have settled on the SVS just from an engineering standpoint (large, solid cabinet, quality woofer, adequate porting area, and all of which contribute to a flat response). Though the other companies I mentioned earlier fit all the same parameters for the most part, I personally like the look of a menacing concrete former tube sub (own 4 in my personal theater, two 15s based on the Tempest drivers and two 12s based on the Shiva drivers) and if I'm correct the unpowered ones are slightly cheaper than their competition (this is a factor if you already have an amp availible). The sad fact is that most likely if you like to listen to your system at ref level, you most likely will need at least two subs to achieve this but for now one will simply do just because from what I gather you don't own a sub and have not been conditioned to believe you need more than one (unfortunately we all start this way, but then we all eventually get the upgrade bug and second sub always seem to symmetry to the system).

I also recommend the Denon AVR as based on personal use and ease of setup (not these particular models I recommended earlier but I've set them up for others, and have previously owned the Denon 2400; to me the Denons are one of the easier AVRs to setup) as they are well built, sound good, and durable and have one of the best set of features that can expand with current and future HT needs (need more power, it has pre-outs to hook-up more powerful amps for example). I usually try not to bash some other gear but I've seen friends who have had horrendous luck with Harmon Kardons (not the current models) and Sony ES (not the current models) and cannot recommend them just from the standpoint of durability.

I hope explaining a little more in detail helps and I hope the logic of my explanation of each recommendation makes sense (if not the others and I will definitely try to explain in more detail).

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Blaine,
It looks like from your post that the receiver isn't included in your speaker budget, so you could afford the top of the line Rocket 750/250/200 package and a nice Hsu VTF-2 or SVS 25 39PCi sub. That would be a killer setup paired with maybe a Denon 3803 or H/K 525 receiver.

Blaine G

Grip
Thank you all so much for the reply's it is VERY appreciated. Russell _T unfortunately the reciever is part of my budget so i cannot afford the top of the line one :frowning:. I appreciate all the help and i guess i am off to look at all the brands that where recommended and see if i can come up with a list of components and post them here to see if i got it all right :). Thanks again everyone!

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Blaine,

JBL isnt isnt direct competition to the brands suggested, but since you are in a budget, and you want to get the most of your money, consider JBL as one of the best options you will have in here.

So this is my suggestion

Center: JBL S Center $150
Mains: JBL S38 $275
Surrounds: JBL S38 $275
Subwoofer: SVS 20-39 PCi $700
Receiver: New Marantz SR7300 $700
TOTAL = $2100 + Shipping, it will be inside you budget, and a very good setup.

I have S center, four JBL S26 which are the little brothers of the S38 and SVS 25-31PCi little brother of the 20-39PCi, and an SR6200 lower model than the SR7300, so your setup would exceed mine in every aspect, and I'm very happy with mine.

Hpe this helps,
Pablo

Blaine G

Grip
Thank you for the reply Pablo, that looks like a good list, however, do i need the center speaker and surrounds? i am just going to be using this setup to play music, it wont be used in any type of HT at all. I was thinking i only needed 4 good speakers, 1 in each corner of the room? But then again i dont know what i am doing. Thanks in advance! :)

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Blaine,

If you like music a lot, there is nothing like DVD-A so having a 5.1 system is necesary to play this type of music DVD. You should go and check DVD-A maybe some store can give you a demo, and also with marantz you can convert a stereo signal in a 5.1 or 6.1 signal which for me it is also very good.

Also if your setup will be only for music, consider Marantz and Harman Kardon as your first options in receivers, this two brands have a very good reputation in the music side. And in my personal opinion, Marantz is the best of all.

Hope this helps,
Pablo

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Blaine,
Do call Sean at AV123 if you have any interest in the Rockets. He will work with you to get something right for your room and budget. His number there is 877 543-7500.
Good Luck,

Blaine G

Grip
Ok i think i have come up with a setup that will work. I have 2 different setups and i don't know which one is better:

Mains: Ascend CBM-170's
Rears: Ascend CBM-170's
Subwoofer: SVS 20-39 PCi
Receiver: Denon AVR-3802

or

Mains: rocket RS150's
Rears: rocket RS150's
Subwoofer: SVS 20-39 PCi
Receiver: Denon AVR-3802

I do not know which setup is better for strictly playing music? The rocket RS150's do cost $100 more then the Ascend CBM-170's but i do not know if they are a better speaker? If anyone can help me tweak this list or list a completely new set of components that would be better for under $2500 shipped+tax it would be greatly appreicated. Also i do not think i need a center speaker as i am not going to use DVD-A as it is too expensive right now.

*edit*
Also i am not sure which of these 3 speakers would be the best for my purposes? The rocket RS150's, Ascend CBM-170's, or the JBL S38's.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
For what you want I'd recommend looking at some used gear. Klipsch KLF20 or 30 speakers (

Peter Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
If you are only listening to music, you only want two speakers.
I advise against some of the above recommendation where people are recommending $250 speakers with $700+ subwoofers. Spend more on your mains, thats where the music is...a sub is for deep bass. You can always add a sub later on.
With your tastes in music I would be looking at good pair of relatively full range speakers, and a good amp. Dont be afraid to buy second hand.
Online companies are a good start. I would look at www.harmonicdiscord.com for more speaker companies, as only a few are mentioned here....there are plenty of others such as nOrh, VMPS etc.
$2.5K is enough to get a VERY VERY decent sounding 2 channel setup. Buying $250 mains and a $700 sub, and pairing it with a HT reciever is NOT the way to achieve this...although this seems to becoming more and more popular here for some unknown reason..

Blaine G

Grip
Thank you for the reply's i appreciate it. But i think i really want to go with at least a 4 speaker setup as i do want to be surrounded by the music not just have it blasting at me from one direction and that is also what i have now, also the way i have my room setup 2 speakers would not work well for me for various reasons... Also i don't mind buying second hand but i wouldn't know where to buy second hand from? I try to stay away from ebay as there are alot of disshonest people on there.

Users who are viewing this thread