What's the best sub for $300-400?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andy_IU_Purdue, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Andy_IU_Purdue

Andy_IU_Purdue Auditioning

I've been reading this forum avidly since discovering it a few months ago, but this is my first post. I havent been able to find any discussion like this, so here goes...

I would like to hear some recommendations for what you think are the best subwoofers in the $300 to $400 range.

The SVS would be great, but it is more than I want to spend. The Sony SA-WM40, Audiosource SW15, and the DLS are great *for the money*. Is there anything out there worth a little more though? If I can spend twice as much as these budget subs, is there something significantly better available?

I don't want to spend any more money on this, so please no suggestions to wait and save. I have made some DIY subs in the past for my car, but it isn't an option right now. I also want something that is readily available, where I know what I'll get and I can listen to first. For that reason, I am unlikely to go the 'custom made sub' route. (Are there custom mades that would serve my purpose and my price though?)

I will be using it for Movies mostly, since my main speakers go pretty low (no measurements) and cover most/all music. Therefore my biggest concern is extension, though I would like quality sound and love the tight feeling of sealed subs. I don't care much about size, a little about appearance, although SAF would always be a good thing.

I live in an apartment, with a Living Room that is about (I'm guessing) 22x16x8high but that doesn't include an attached 10x10 dining area, and hallway.

B/c of living in an apartment, I have considered just getting some bass shakers and would like to know what people think about that, given my equipment. I could power them with an old 100W receiver I have.

--My equipment
    Receiver: Denon 1803
    Mains: Klipsch KG5.2 (10" woof & 12" passive)
    Center: Klipsch RC3-II
    Rears: Polk (M100??) triangle shaped corner/bookshelves
    DVD: Panasonic RP62
    TV: old 27" (next upgrade)

Thank you all for your input - sorry about the length. I thought it better to answer all these questions up front.

2. Phil*K

Phil*K Stunt Coordinator

Infinity IL120s, which you can get on ebay for less that $400. Just make sure you use the RABOS kit.

3. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Everything that would get you what you want, you made clear you don't want to deal with. But I still will suggest as it will get you the most sub for your money.

That would be a custom built sub from
    Kyle, www.Acoustic-Visions.com or
    Brian, www.RutledgeAudioDesign.com

Also seeing as you mentioned Sealed, there is Adire's 12" Sealed Rava but it can only bought on line.

But if you still prefer to stay away from that type sub approach I will have to agree with Phil on the Infinity 12" with "Rabos kit"....

400.00 would buy you a heck of a sub with it's size and finish to your liking from either of the sub builders above.
    They also offer pre designed kits that they will put together & finish or you, or you can save even more buying it in a pre-cut knock down kit. You put it together and finish it yourself.

You may want to at least look at their sites, promise it won't hurt a bit.

But if your rock solid against any of the above, gota still stay with the Infinity with Rabos Kit...

Regards
    Geoff

4. Nathan J

Nathan J Stunt Coordinator

What is the RABOS kit?

5. JohnKim

JohnKim Extra

i have the audiosource sw-fifteen and have done, sound dampening spray, dampening sheets, polyfil, and feet mods to it....and i can honestly say that after puttin in about $200 total into this sub, it can really belt out LOWs with the nice presence that is satisfying in home theater more than anything under $500 that i've personally heard (which i guess isn't too extensive alist to be honest)

but for music... its honestly not the greatest in terms of being nimble and fast and catching teh subtleties.

i don't know if you're familiar with the Logitech z-560 speaker set, which is a copmuter speaker set taht's reviewed highly alongside teh Klipsch Promedias, but the sub in that set is very tight and punchy and detailed as well.

i can't touch that performance in music with my audiosource. i can get lower and stronger with my sub, but not punchy or detailed.

i havent replaced teh driver with a adire tempest or dayton dvc, but the driver change would put you about $350 total budget and wayne e. on this forum claims that its fantastic after the mod. that would give you a good way to spend your budget well.

but until i can afford it from my student budget, this monstrousity will have to do. ( i can hear it 4 floors up in my dorm when pumping)

6. Phil*K

Phil*K Stunt Coordinator

Nathan,

The interlude subs have a 1 band equilizer that you can use to tune the sub. The kit is used to do that.

7. Andy_IU_Purdue

Andy_IU_Purdue Auditioning

Thanks for the advice. I'll check out the Infinity this weekend.

I'm impressed by the pictures on their websites, and I would like to know what's possible from Kyle and Brian for under $400 (including shipping). How do I find out, send an email to the contact info on these websites?

Some additional info/corrections though:
    - I measured my living room last night as 20x13x8 with open hallway, 10x8 dining area.
    - I will do some listening tests this weekend with a sine wave generator to try to give better info on my current system response. (sorry, I don't have a meter)

8. george king

george king Supporting Actor

If they do not respond to the thread, just call or e-mail. Brian is a great guy, and will work with you and answer all your questions.

9. MikeCooper

MikeCooper Extra

My vote would have to go for the Velodyne CHT-10. This is truly a great subwoofer that offers great performance in all applications. Music, or HT, it will definetely sound amazing.

It is right on the 400 dollar mark though, but you're not going to beat the quality or sound with anything else for the price except for DIY projects.

10. David_Kosovec

The Rava sub from Adire Audio is incredible. There are too many good reviews out there for you not to consider it. I've had one for two months, and I couldn't be happier. Tight, clean, deep bass. You can only get it online though, so you won't be able to audition it. I was a little apprehensive before buying mine, since I didn;t get a chance to hear it before I bought it, but once I got it, I couldn't believe how good it was. Better than anything I heard from Paradigm, Velodyne, Klipsch, etc. for 600-800 dollars. The Rava's only $399. HIGHLY recommended. Click the link for more info.

http://www.adireaudio.com/home_audio/loudspeakers/exact_series/rava.htm

11. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Andy,

Feel free to email me if you'd like to discuss the possibilites.

12. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

You should either buy a Rava or get something custom built. I know you can't listen to it ahead of time (unless someone with a similar product lives nearby)... but they're that much better. Someone said they put a Tempest in a SW-15 and it sounded much better... well, that box is still way too small and has a crappy amplifier. Just imagine what it's like when done correctly (as Kyle and Brian do).