What's the best speaker termination (spades, bare wire, ...)?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andy Young, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Andy Young

Andy Young Stunt Coordinator

Guy at work told me that banana plugs are the worst and that stripped bare wire held/crimped down by a screw was the best.

I've always thought that the stripped wire route was the worst, spades were the best (well, actually, I thought BNC was the best, but have never seen consumer grade products with BNC connectors) and banana plugs were a close second.

Any articles floating around that you could link me to?

Thanks.

2. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Think the jury is still out deliberating on this case.

Spades are good, bananas are good (WBT comes to mind, can't go wrong with Cardas, and the lower cost Daytons too).

This is an argument for the ages, to be honest.

Bare wire has it's pros and cons. It oxidizes over time, and trimming is required. It's the air tight seal you are after. Quality connections simply foster better signal flow.
    Thus the bare wire camp. Other connections rely just as much on the signal wire connection (a good solder/crimp), as they do on the spade or banana used. Thus, in the hands of somebody who knows what they are doing, then any quality spade or banana, will get you what you are after.

RS, Monster, et al,.... do you think those connections are made by artisans ? Individually handled by somebody for more than 30 seconds (hell, could be fully automated in Mexico, who knows). The mass market stuff is just that.
    A great wire design, costing $$$$, could easily sound horrendous if left to an unskilled line worker.

BOK

typo edit

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

and then you get into do i just crimp, use a banana with a screw to hold the wire down, crimp and solder, crimp and weld. myself i prefer spades on the speakers and bananas on the receiver or amp. whatever works for your lifestyle.

4. Christopher Lyn

Christopher Lyn Stunt Coordinator

What you are looking for is a good solid connection with as much surface area contact as possible.

My preference is the opposite of Chu Gai's: bananas on the speaker end, and spades on the amp end. I probably prefer this route because my Paradigm Reference speaker posts are so large that I have to use larger spades to fit them around the posts, thus I use bananas.

5. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

Lets think about this:

Bare wire needs trimming because of oxidation. Crimp on connectors will oxidize unless soldered or glue seal shrink wrap is used. Are you spade and banana guys sealing the crimp somehow? If not you will need to trim.

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I'd say you're probably right with regards to soldering. You'd need a spectaculary good crimp to ensure that air would never get in. And there's no plastic or polymeric material that I'm aware of that's air impermeable. So realistically that leaves tinning the wire, trimming the wires and remaking the connection, soldering and welding. Myself, I've a friend who does contract work over at Bell Labs and he walked em down to a lab and had an associate laser weld it. I can't tell any difference between that and soldering, but it's pretty cool and I couldn't beat the price.

7. Christopher Lyn

Christopher Lyn Stunt Coordinator

I get the guys at Audio One to tin and solder them...then heat shrink the ends.

8. Albert_L

Albert_L Agent

Any guides on how to crimp with banana plugs. I had always used bare wire and am unsure of how to do this.