What's the best quality version of Zulu?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Huw Williams, Oct 12, 2001.

1. Huw Williams

Huw Williams Agent

I should be getting the PAL laserdisc of this classic film next week for a cheap price as the DVD versions as supposed to be a no-no. So...
    What is the best quality version available?
    Criterion Laserdisc?
    Cheers
    ------------------
    UK Members: - Want to organise a meet? Goto -
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/000284.html

2. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

From everything I've read the Criterion Laser Disc is the way to go. I've heard the DVD versions are just bad.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Adrian Jones

3. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

The Criterion version on LD is about as good as LDs get considering the age of the film. They should get the lisence for a DVD version. "Zulu Dawn" would be nice too.
    ------------------

4. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

Rumor has it that this will be out from MGM in 2002.

5. andrew markworthy

The DVD I have isn't totally awful, and it's widescreen, but it's certainly no advert for the superior quality of DVD. I think the best that can be said is that it's like watching a really good quality VHS tape. FWIW, there have been rumours of a R2 disc for quite some time. I've got mine on advance order (curiously enough, I was just checking up on it before reading this thread).

6. Douglas Bailey

Douglas Bailey Second Unit

Douglas Bailey
    I have the Front Row widescreen DVD and had, for a while, the Platinum Entertainment disc. (N.B. As far as I know, neither of these is a bootleg. If I'm misinformed, administrators, please feel free to delete this post.)
    Both are obviously sourced from the Criterion laserdisc of Zulu -- which I now also have. There are white dirt marks (of the sort seen on LD players) and some noticeable pauses at the side-changes.
    Both discs look poor (pallid colours and obvious line structure) but not unwatchable. I thought the Front Row edition was marginally better in quality: it'll hold me until there's a decent legitimate release of this great film.
    hth,
    doug
    ------------------
    "How can it be the same movie if they've changed my character from a
    tightly-wound convenience-store clerk to a jittery Eskimo
    firefighter?... uh huh... uh huh... uh huh. Well, that's actually a
    pretty good explanation..."
    --James Woods, on The Simpsons

7. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

The pan and scan DVD is terrible! However, the widescreen DVD isn't bad, and is most likely sourced from the Criterion LD. It's also available for around $5 in the U.S. (I don't know what that means to a British consumer). MGM, however, is supposedly coming out with a "definitive" brand new anamorphic widescreen transfer in a year or so, so you might want to wait. Now if somebody would just release the very underrated Zulu Dawn, one of my favorite films, I'd be very, very happy.
    ------------------
    "Home is where the theater is!"

8. ChristopherM

ChristopherM Stunt Coordinator

As I mentioned on another thread, a UK magazine has reported that a new edition of "Zulu" (plus "Alfie" and - finally!! - "The Italian Job") is being prepared for 2002 release. Michael Caine's participation on the extras is being sought.

9. richard plumb

richard plumb Stunt Coordinator

Isn't Zulu Dawn out in R2?